NYU - Fall 2016

Opt4theBest

13 hours ago, YEONNI said:

hello. i've been lurking around this forum for the past few weeks because i've been super anxious about my application...

congrats! to those who heard back this morning! now where is mine.....  TT

It's ok. I'm still waiting for the decision as well. :)

1 minute ago, aramirez said:

Does anyone know how much the cost of attendance for NYU's MSW is per year?

I think it's roughly around $40,000 / year. For 2015-2016, it was just under that a year. The tuition usually increases 5% each year at NYU. 

1 hour ago, BrendonSW said:

I think it's roughly around $40,000 / year. For 2015-2016, it was just under that a year. The tuition usually increases 5% each year at NYU. 

Ok. Thank you @BrendonSW I hope I get a good financial aid package then. Do you know if housing is usually pricey for grad students?

On February 12, 2016 at 3:26 PM, aramirez said:

Does anyone know how much the cost of attendance for NYU's MSW is per year?

Per NYU's website:

Based on the above tuition figures, here are the projected total charges in tuition and fees for a typical student enrolled for the fall/spring academic year:

Full-Time course load totals for academic year 2015-2016: 
Advanced Standing:
$40,072 based on 32 points total – 16 points Fall ($20,036) and 16 points Spring ($20,036)
Two-Year Program:
$41,299 based on 33 points total – 17 points Fall ($21,263) and 16 points Spring ($20,036)

http://socialwork.nyu.edu/admissions/msw/tuition-fees.html

On February 12, 2016 at 4:51 PM, aramirez said:

Ok. Thank you @BrendonSW I hope I get a good financial aid package then. Do you know if housing is usually pricey for grad students?

The cost of living in New York City is among the highest and most expensive in the States. NYU does have graduate student housing, but I think it's quite limited:

https://www.nyu.edu/life/living-at-nyu.html

The cheapest rate I found for on-campus housing at NYU for the 2015-16 academic year was a shared room (that is, you share a room with another student) for $9,190.00 a year. For a single private room in a shared suite/apartment, the cheapest I found was  $11,056.00. Lastly, the cheapest private studio/apartment was priced at  $16,912.00.

https://www.nyu.edu/content/dam/nyu/resLifeHousServ/documents/ApplicationsandAssignments/2015-2016AYRates.pdf

Compare this information with Columbia University's proposed living expenses for 2015-16 via their website:

Living Expenses for 2015–16

The following table lists estimated living expenses based upon reasonable expenditures over a nine month period. To determine a more realistic cost of living, however, you will need to adjust these figures to account for the personal expenses particular to your lifestyle.

TUITION AND FEES PER ANNUM    
Room & Board (rent, utilities, food, etc.) $19,350*  
Books $1,200  
Transportation $1,170*  
Personal $3,510*  

TOTAL

$25,230

http://socialwork.columbia.edu/student-resources/cost-attendance

Essentially, room and board can vary from $12,000 to $20,000 annually depending on your level of comfort (size, privacy, location). You have to figure out if you are willing to spend more money living next to NYU, but sacrifice space and privacy. You will have roommates if you live in Greenwich Village or the surrounding areas (Lower East Side, East Village, NoHo) because of the astronomical prices for a studio (priced at anywhere ranging from $1,600-$2,100 a month). If you are wiling to live in Northern Manhattan (Harlem, Inwood, Washington Heights), your commute will be longer than 40 minutes one way, but you will have more space. You can also look at Brooklyn as well since NYU is in downtown Manhattan.

Lastly, here's a great website you can use to gauge the overall cost of living (COL) in NYC and also use it to compare the COL to another city as a benchmark:

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/city_result.jsp?country=United+States&city=New+York%2C+NY

Good luck!

3 hours ago, YEONNI said:

I guess its not just me who is waiting then! Ive been checking my email every 5 seconds every day all month... like a crazy person!

Yeonni, when did you apply and when did your application become completed?

5 minutes ago, morningjunky said:

Per NYU's website:

Based on the above tuition figures, here are the projected total charges in tuition and fees for a typical student enrolled for the fall/spring academic year:

Full-Time course load totals for academic year 2015-2016: 
Advanced Standing:
$40,072 based on 32 points total – 16 points Fall ($20,036) and 16 points Spring ($20,036)
Two-Year Program:
$41,299 based on 33 points total – 17 points Fall ($21,263) and 16 points Spring ($20,036)

http://socialwork.nyu.edu/admissions/msw/tuition-fees.html

The cost of living in New York City is among the highest and most expensive in the States. NYU does have graduate student housing, but I think it's quite limited:

https://www.nyu.edu/life/living-at-nyu.html

The cheapest rate I found for on-campus housing at NYU for the 2015-16 academic year was a shared room (that is, you share a room with another student) for $9,190.00 a year. For a single private room in a shared suite/apartment, the cheapest I found was  $11,056.00. Lastly, the cheapest private studio/apartment was priced at  $16,912.00.

https://www.nyu.edu/content/dam/nyu/resLifeHousServ/documents/ApplicationsandAssignments/2015-2016AYRates.pdf

Compare this information with Columbia University's proposed living expenses for 2015-16 via their website:

Living Expenses for 2015–16

The following table lists estimated living expenses based upon reasonable expenditures over a nine month period. To determine a more realistic cost of living, however, you will need to adjust these figures to account for the personal expenses particular to your lifestyle.

TUITION AND FEES PER ANNUM    
Room & Board (rent, utilities, food, etc.) $19,350*  
Books $1,200  
Transportation $1,170*  
Personal $3,510*  

TOTAL

$25,230

http://socialwork.columbia.edu/student-resources/cost-attendance

Essentially, room and board can vary from $12,000 to $20,000 annually depending on your level of comfort (size, privacy, location). You have to figure out if you are willing to spend more money living next to NYU, but sacrifice space and privacy. You will have roommates if you live in Greenwich Village or the surrounding areas (Lower East Side, East Village, NoHo) because of the astronomical prices for a studio (priced at anywhere ranging from $1,600-$2,100 a month). If you are wiling to live in Northern Manhattan (Harlem, Inwood, Washington Heights), your commute will be longer than 40 minutes one way, but you will have more space. You can also look at Brooklyn as well since NYU is in downtown Manhattan.

Lastly, here's a great website you can use to gauge the overall cost of living (COL) in NYC and also use it to compare the COL to another city as a benchmark:

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/city_result.jsp?country=United+States&city=New+York%2C+NY

Good luck!

Hi Morningjunky! Thank you so much for this in depth research. I agree that we need to not only compare tuitions, but also the living expenses when making decision on grad school choices. I'm sure many will find your findings very helpful.

Hey guys... 

I'm new to Gradcafe, and I signed up mainly because I saw the active community discussion about NYU MSW 2016... I am soooo nervous!!! My application was submitted (and complete) on Jan. 1, but I still have not received any response. I have received three or four "Welcome Letters" from deans and such, but nothing more than that.

I attended two information sessions at NYU, and I also had a meeting with an admissions counselor back in December. In addition, I am a steady audience member at NYU Silver's alumni career panels, and I seek to get involved as much as I can... I wonder when I'll hear back!... 

NOTE: NYU is the one and only grad school that I applied to!!!

27 minutes ago, Opt4theBest said:

I remember I heard back a couple of days after I submitted my FAFSA application online.

Really? I submitted mine January 20 and don't think I've received anything yet. Was yours directly on the FAFSA website or through Penn?

50 minutes ago, tudor3x8 said:

Really? I submitted mine January 20 and don't think I've received anything yet. Was yours directly on the FAFSA website or through Penn?

I applied directly through FAFSA website (at www.fafsa.ed.gov). I remember I applied on Jan 25 and I heard back on Jan 26 with the email body below:

Dear XYZ,

Congratulations, your FAFSA was processed successfully.

Just now, Opt4theBest said:

I applied directly through FAFSA website (at www.fafsa.ed.gov). I remember I applied on Jan 25 and I heard back on Jan 26 with the email body below:

Dear XYZ,

Congratulations, your FAFSA was processed successfully.

Oh! I got that email, but haven't received the package yet.

I believe you will receive the package once you accept a school's offer. I am not sure if that is the case though. However, I know that the maximum amount of loan we are eligible for is $20,500 / year.

Edited by Opt4theBest

I think Fordham also mentioned that if the 20,500 a year doesn't cover it, then we are eligible to apply for the PLUS loan? Because, unfortunately, 20k will not be enough to pay for any school that I attend... any savings I have right now will not be enough to make up for living expenses plus paying off the debt each year (I'm hoping to do work study or work part time... but I have no idea how many hours are reasonable...)

19 minutes ago, tudor3x8 said:

I think Fordham also mentioned that if the 20,500 a year doesn't cover it, then we are eligible to apply for the PLUS loan? Because, unfortunately, 20k will not be enough to pay for any school that I attend... any savings I have right now will not be enough to make up for living expenses plus paying off the debt each year (I'm hoping to do work study or work part time... but I have no idea how many hours are reasonable...)

True. This is the problem with living and studying in NYC as your Fed loan will not cover your tuition (unless you extend your study to 3 year?) and you may need to consider taking out Grad Plus loan to offset the difference of 20,500 - (tuition plus living expense in NYC)/year. I know many people take out the Grad Plus Loan because although they work part time, it is very difficult for them to survive all those bills in Manhattan. One bad thing about the Grad Plus Loan is its interest rates.

Hi there. Just chiming in to say that I, too, am eagerly waiting an admission decision from NYU. 

I finished my application on the due date (Jan. 29) and a couple of my checkboxes (for previous transcripts) still have not been checked off, even though all materials were submitted at the same time. 

I'm worried but trying to stay calm. Huge congratulations to everyone who has gotten in… Super exciting!