NYU - Fall 2016

Opt4theBest

4 hours ago, bruchlet said:

I'm so glad to see that so many people on the forum have been accepted and are already working on their scholarship arrangements... As for me, I'm still waiting....:unsure: I called admissions today, and they told me that my application is in the 'final review' phase!... So I guess that's good;) 

I hope you hear back this week! :)

3 hours ago, Opt4theBest said:

Just got my decision letter (at 7.48pm) and I am in!!! For those who are still waiting, do not loose hope. Your letters are coming.

:DI am so happy for you!!! Thanks for the update!

1 hour ago, Opt4theBest said:

Just got my decision letter (at 7.48pm) and I am in!!! For those who are still waiting, do not loose hope. Your letters are coming.

CONGRATS OPT! I am so happy that your day finally arrived! That countdown clock of ours was quite the adventure. You must let us know the scholarship offer tomorrow. 

11 hours ago, bruchlet said:

:DI am so happy for you!!! Thanks for the update!

10 hours ago, FT-Grad2016 said:

CONGRATS OPT! I am so happy that your day finally arrived! That countdown clock of ours was quite the adventure. You must let us know the scholarship offer tomorrow. 

Thank you to you both! Yes, I will let you know once I have received the financial aid news.

12 hours ago, Opt4theBest said:

I got mine last night too! Congrats to you! So happy we finally heard. 

On another note… How in the world do people afford NYU? I knew what the tuition was before applying, but I think I was in denial because I was so excited. Now I'm nervous about to actually make this all work! I'm curious to hear what other people's plans are, and I'm eager to get my financial info from the school. Fingers crossed!

24 minutes ago, mimi6321 said:

On another note… How in the world do people afford NYU? I knew what the tuition was before applying, but I think I was in denial because I was so excited. Now I'm nervous about to actually make this all work! I'm curious to hear what other people's plans are, and I'm eager to get my financial info from the school. Fingers crossed!

I'm planning to get the Grad PLUS loan

3 hours ago, mimi6321 said:

Congratulations!!:D 

The financial part is also something that I always thought about... Personally, I've been saving up for NYU since I was 18 years old (I'm 20 now), basically by putting away every extra dollar for it (And I haven't heard back yet...) 

Even like this, I'd still need a nice scholarship to make it through. Student loans are another option, one that you can pay off with a side job. If you have special talents that can get you small free lance jobs throughout school (like writing, voice-overing, etc.) you can save up a little like that as well. Also, the school may have the option of having a small job on campus for some extra $$$. 

I'm interested to hear other students' ideas?

4 hours ago, bruchlet said:

@PsyBug88 I hope you hear soon... When did you apply?

@bruchlet beginning of January just before the original deadline.  I heard back Tuesday night that I've been placed on a waitlist... but I applied to the 32-month track for working professionals.  Apparently it's their most competitive program because they offer so few spots.  Their email also said they hope to have their incoming class settled soon...

Keeping my fingers crossed for ya!

@BrendonSW The visit was good but I didn't get the 100% this is where I want to go feeling. The staff I met weren't the nicest especially the financial aid person. He was pretty rude and unfriendly. I then met with an admissions counselor who was very nice but not really a part of the social work program. The best part was sitting with a field placement staff who was very friendly and helpful. She made me confident that NYU offers great clinical internship placements, many of which that offer financial stipends. I am hoping to sit in on a class soon to get a better feel for the actual SW faculty. The area around NYU is beautiful and very vibrant but the actual social work building does not compare to Columbia. I really thought I'd be able to make a decision after today but I think I need to visit both a little more.

41 minutes ago, AMcCoy said:

@BrendonSW The visit was good but I didn't get the 100% this is where I want to go feeling. The staff I met weren't the nicest especially the financial aid person. He was pretty rude and unfriendly. I then met with an admissions counselor who was very nice but not really a part of the social work program. The best part was sitting with a field placement staff who was very friendly and helpful. She made me confident that NYU offers great clinical internship placements, many of which that offer financial stipends. I am hoping to sit in on a class soon to get a better feel for the actual SW faculty. The area around NYU is beautiful and very vibrant but the actual social work building does not compare to Columbia. I really thought I'd be able to make a decision after today but I think I need to visit both a little more.

I totally understand. I'm not able to visit any of my schools before making a decision, so I'm basically lurking around reading "reviews" such as yours. My biggest concern is the faculty. I want to make sure I'm learning under professors who are not only dedicated to the profession but genuine and humble. I'm a southerner, so we value that. ;) 

I have about a week before I need to officially make a commitment. It's just so difficult without actually visiting. I've been to Greenwich Village before, but never to NYU. 

1 hour ago, AMcCoy said:

@AMcCoy Thanks for your take! I think most Financial Aid offices are very comparable. Perhaps they don't like the thought of giving money out. I bet the bursar departments are all joyful to collect :)  I think part of learning experience in Social Work is that we all come across people that may not be friendly, easy going, or they may be overly joyous. So perhaps the first lesson is dealing with the variable faculty and staff. Another point to make is that the Financial Aid office is not a place students always have to visit. Usually once you accept/appeal a package you rarely have to deal with them. Only to confirm the loans get processed which is probably tracked online via Albert.

Edited by FT-Grad2016

Got accepted to The Tisch College of Arts, ITP program today morning. :)  I haven't received any news about scholarship although they did mention in the mail that they will be sending in details for financial aid shortly.

I don't know if that meant sending a list of general scholarship options or if they will announce the scholarships then.

Has anyone got accepted in with a scholarship? If so, Congratulations! But please do let me know too! :)

Best of Luck to everyone else who is still waiting for results.

@ft-grad2016 I understand where you're coming from but I also think it is important for programs to realize that the admissions office and financial aid staff are often the first face of the institution students come in contact with. I think social work is full of lessons but I don't believe my experience with admissions was a lesson in social work but only my experience in visiting. Like I said my visit with the field learning faculty was great. Pros and cons to the visit just like any other. Ultimately it's about the program but for me both programs are great. It could be the welcoming feeling that makes the difference. 

For those of you who were accepted to NYU Silver--Congratulations on your acceptance!  If you already got your merit scholarship award, would you please let me know what your undergraduate gpa is and what kind of experience you have in the field and what the scholarship amount is? I would really appreciate it! TIA

Edited by SW2016

On March 10, 2016 at 8:35 PM, bruchlet said:

I GOT IN!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just received my acceptance email for the two year program at NYU!!!! :D

Thanks to everyone for your support throughout the waiting, and good luck to all who are waiting still!

Congrats! I hope i hear soon too!

12 hours ago, SW2016 said:

For those of you who were accepted to NYU Silver--Congratulations on your acceptance!  If you already got your merit scholarship award, would you please let me know what your undergraduate gpa is and what kind of experience you have in the field and what the scholarship amount is? I would really appreciate it! TIA

Hey! I was accepted into NYU silver, 2 year full time  in January and they offered me $7,000. Its not much but my undergrad gpa is from Rutgers and only a 3.12, but I have a lot of experience. I worked as a teaching assistant to kids with severe Autism, was a behavior assistant in a school, and interned at a child therapeutic program where I worked with kids that have suffered from trauma and abuse so I honestly think thats why they offered me anything. I spoke to the financial advisor and he said I can appeal for more money so I wrote a long letter explaining why I would need more money and how involved I would be. He told me they're going to be looking at the appeals mid march so I was assume right now they are going through them. My housemates sister goes to NYU silver and her undergrad was basically a 4.0 and she was offered around 15 or 20k  a year I cant remember which, but way more than me so I do think it has a lot to do with gpa. Hope this helps!