In-Text Citation

I am writing a paper for psychology and I need some help on APA guidelines, specifically on in-text citation.

Suppose a certain book xxxxx has the following:

"Perceptual learning, process by which the ability of sensory systems to respond to stimuli is improved through experience. Perceptual learning occurs through sensory interaction with the environment as well as through practice in performing specific sensory tasks. The changes that take place in sensory and perceptual systems as a result of perceptual learning occur at the levels of behaviour and physiology. Examples of perceptual learning include developing an ability to distinguish between different odours or musical pitches and an ability to discriminate between different shades of colours."

Suppose I want to use the first two sentence. Which of the following two methods are the correct way of citing?

Method (1):

Perceptual learning, process by which the ability of sensory systems to respond to stimuli is improved through experience. Perceptual learning occurs through sensory interaction with the environment as well as through practice in performing specific sensory tasks (xxxxx, 2016).

Method (2):

Perceptual learning, process by which the ability of sensory systems to respond to stimuli is improved through experience (xxxxx, 2016). Perceptual learning occurs through sensory interaction with the environment as well as through practice in performing specific sensory tasks (xxxxx, 2016).

I am taking two sentences, do I cite two times at the end of each sentence or do I cite one time at the end of the last sentence?

I took some short cuts, not taking the rules of quotation/paraphrase as I wanted to know if the cite is done one time or two times.

http://www.citefast.com/styleguide.php?style=apa&sec=inte

Quotation:

"The bones were very fragile" (Cole, 2011, p. 13).
    Cole (2011) found that "The bones were very fragile" (p. 33).
    In 2011, Cole found that "The bones were very fragile" (p. 33).

Quotation:

"Perceptual learning, process by which the ability of sensory systems to respond to stimuli is improved through experience" (Cold, 2001, p. 31). Cold (2001) further found that "perceptual learning occurs through sensory interaction with the environment as well as through practice in performing specific sensory tasks" (p.35)

This looks like citing "two times", is that ok?

http://blog.apastyle.org/apastyle/paraphrasing/

Just as Sherlock Holmes investigates a case, psychologists must evaluate all the available data before making a deduction, lest they jump to an erroneous conclusion on the basis of insufficient evidence (Bram & Peebles, 2014, pp. 32–33).

Bram and Peebles (2014) advocated for psychologists to evaluate all the available data before making a deduction, just as Sherlock Holmes investigates a case, lest they jump to an erroneous conclusion on the basis of insufficient evidence (pp. 32–33).

The process by which the ability of sensory systems to respond to stimuli is improved through experience is known as perceptual learning (Holmes, 2014, pp. 32–33).

Homes (2014) further states that  perceptual learning occurs through sensory interaction with the environment and through practice in performing specific sensory tasks (pp. 32–33).

Is this ok?

I just want to say two things:

1. This sounds a bit like a homework question, and TheGradCafe isn't really a good place to get good answers to questions like this. You can easily find APA guidelines on what to do when you want to cite the same source multiple times in a paragraph by googling that phrase. Here is one example I found: http://waldenwritingcenter.blogspot.com/2011/07/citing-author-throughout-paragraph.html

2. I must admit that it's been almost a decade since I last used APA, but regardless of style, I think it's a bad idea in general to directly quote two entire sentences from the source. I remember learning that effective writing means you read what the source said, distill what you need in your argument, and then paraphrase and cite appropriately in constructing your argument. I think direct quoting is important when you want to dissect/analyze the exact way the author chose to write their words, but if you want to just use their ideas, you should be paraphrasing (like in the linked example above). In your subsequent posts, by the way, you are still quoting directly without quotation marks, not paraphrasing. 

2 hours ago, TakeruK said:

1. This sounds a bit like a homework question, and TheGradCafe isn't really a good place to get good answers to questions like this. You can easily find APA guidelines on what to do when you want to cite the same source multiple times in a paragraph by googling that phrase. Here is one example I found: http://waldenwritingcenter.blogspot.com/2011/07/citing-author-throughout-paragraph.html

2. I must admit that it's been almost a decade since I last used APA, but regardless of style, I think it's a bad idea in general to directly quote two entire sentences from the source. I remember learning that effective writing means you read what the source said, distill what you need in your argument, and then paraphrase and cite appropriately in constructing your argument. I think direct quoting is important when you want to dissect/analyze the exact way the author chose to write their words, but if you want to just use their ideas, you should be paraphrasing (like in the linked example above). In your subsequent posts, by the way, you are still quoting directly without quotation marks, not paraphrasing. 

I did say I am writing a paper and I need some help in writing. I don't need a website, I can find plenty of websites on APA styles. I need a forum where I can get guidance from people with experience and willing to teach/share.

From your reply, it does not sounds like TheGradCafe  is a place to seek help on writing APA style papers, if you know a forum that provides help in writing papers (like questions that I asked earlier, I can do my own homework, I just need to know if I'm on the right track), please let me know.

3 hours ago, TakeruK said:

The process by which the ability of sensory systems to respond to stimuli is improved through experience is known as perceptual learning (Holmes, 2014, pp. 32–33).

Homes (2014) further states that  perceptual learning occurs through sensory interaction with the environment and through practice in performing specific sensory tasks (pp. 32–33).

[\QUOTE]

Regarding #2, thanks for letting me know the above is still quoting directly. That is tough. I'll probably just use quotation marks then, if I can't paraphrase. At this time, it looks I have difficulty paraphrasing. Anyone who wants to paraphrase based on the original text earlier would be appreciated, at least I get to see what a paraphrase is like. I attempted to paraphrase using that Sherlock example and I did not succeed :(

I will keep your comments about "directly quote two entire sentences from the source" in mind. I wanted to give a definition of perceptual learning, those two sentences provides the definition and I was trying to write it.

Edited by mission

18 minutes ago, mission said:

Regarding #2, thanks for letting me know the above is still quoting directly. That is tough. I'll probably just use quotation marks then, if I can't paraphrase. At this time, it looks I have difficulty paraphrasing. Anyone who wants to paraphrase based on the original text earlier would be appreciated, at least I get to see what a paraphrase is like. I attempted to paraphrase using that Sherlock example and I did not succeed :(

Now it sounds not only like you're asking for help with your homework (which this forum is not for) but also that someone actually do your homework for you, which I am sure you understand is out of line. You've been offered resources. Part of your education is learning to teach yourself and find the answers. It shouldn't be that hard to paraphrase two sentences (and not copy them directly from another text!) and read online about how to cite your source. We would not be helping you if we just gave you the answer. You need to learn to help yourself. 

3 hours ago, mission said:

I did say I am writing a paper and I need some help in writing. I don't need a website, I can find plenty of websites on APA styles. I need a forum where I can get guidance from people with experience and willing to teach/share.

From your reply, it does not sounds like TheGradCafe  is a place to seek help on writing APA style papers, if you know a forum that provides help in writing papers (like questions that I asked earlier, I can do my own homework, I just need to know if I'm on the right track), please let me know.

Sorry, I don't know the other websites you can go instead. Maybe you can find some with Google. But also see the note below.

3 hours ago, mission said:

At this time, it looks I have difficulty paraphrasing. Anyone who wants to paraphrase based on the original text earlier would be appreciated, at least I get to see what a paraphrase is like. I attempted to paraphrase using that Sherlock example and I did not succeed :(

I will keep your comments about "directly quote two entire sentences from the source" in mind. I wanted to give a definition of perceptual learning, those two sentences provides the definition and I was trying to write it.

To me, it sounds like you need some help getting used to academic writing. Don't worry, everyone has to learn! Paraphrasing means that you read the original text then you have to interpret it and understand it, and then you write it back in your own words. You should not be using the same words as in the original text. You need to find another way to say the same thing.

I think you can really benefit from direct one-on-one coaching and tutoring. Here are some potential places you can go to find help on your campus:

1. Does your school have a writing center? Most schools have something like this for their students. I think it would be a really good idea for you to make an appointment to see a writing tutor and learn some basic strategies for academic writing.

2. Does your school have a tutoring service. Sometimes, it's a free service and you can get writing help from senior English students.

3. Is this for a course? Does it have a TA? Maybe the TA can help you. However, you say this is a psychology paper so if this is a course, it might be a psychology course instead of a writing course so maybe your TA might not be able to help with just writing. But it doesn't hurt to check. 

Now it sounds not only like you're asking for help with your homework (which this forum is not for) but also that someone actually do your homework for you, which I am sure you understand is out of line. You've been offered resources. Part of your education is learning to teach yourself and find the answers. It shouldn't be that hard to paraphrase two sentences (and not copy them directly from another text!) and read online about how to cite your source. We would not be helping you if we just gave you the answer. You need to learn to help yourself. 

I am asking for help, not with my homework, I didn't ask anyone here to write the paper for me. I am asking for guidance on how to paraphrase the 2 sentences. I did attempt to paraphrase myself and was told it is not correct so I asked for help to paraphrase the two sentences so that I can learn from that example.

Teaching oneself means learning from examples, tutorials, unfortunately, there are plenty of sites on APA writing styles, but I can't seem to paraphrase it right. I am glad the people here that tells me that my paraphrase is wrong. If I have posted on some "non-grad" forum, they would probably say my paraphrase is fine. And I google and could not find an appropriate forum where people are willing to teach, this forum came up, there is a folder on "Writing, Presenting, Publishing" so I thought I may find help here.

Ok, I got you, this forum will not help - I don't need you to help me with my homework. Please don't give me the fish, please teach me how to fish.

Edited by mission

To me, it sounds like you need some help getting used to academic writing. Don't worry, everyone has to learn! Paraphrasing means that you read the original text then you have to interpret it and understand it, and then you write it back in your own words. You should not be using the same words as in the original text. You need to find another way to say the same thing.

I think you can really benefit from direct one-on-one coaching and tutoring. Here are some potential places you can go to find help on your campus:

1. Does your school have a writing center? Most schools have something like this for their students. I think it would be a really good idea for you to make an appointment to see a writing tutor and learn some basic strategies for academic writing.

2. Does your school have a tutoring service. Sometimes, it's a free service and you can get writing help from senior English students.

3. Is this for a course? Does it have a TA? Maybe the TA can help you. However, you say this is a psychology paper so if this is a course, it might be a psychology course instead of a writing course so maybe your TA might not be able to help with just writing. But it doesn't hurt to check.  

Yes, this is academic writing. It is an online course. The assignment is to write a paper using APA style. Students are given websites on APA writing style. No writing centre, no TA.

Ok,I get it. This forum is not for learning.

Edited by mission