Contacting Admissions

Nat_Foot

I haven't had any news from UT Austin or UCLA, so I solicited and got very prompt replies from both departments.

If you haven't heard from UT Austin, you're likely a rejection, but they're holding off to see if they go through their first round accepts/wait lists. If they get through those lists, they'll dig into the pile of those who they haven't responded to yet. 

If you haven't heard from UCLA, it's "unlikely" that you'll get an offer, but it's "still possible."

Hopes this helps out others in limbo! 

On 3/1/2016 at 7:55 PM, PossibleWorlds said:

Just received this from UCLA: "Thank you for your inquiry. Your application is still under consideration. The department has made a number of offers of admission so far, but it may make some more. At this point, while it is not likely that you will be offered admission, it is still possible." 

I just received the same from UCLA... but your admission soon after is giving me (likely false) hope!

3 hours ago, philosophe said:

FYI I contacted U Mass Amherst. They've informed me that they'll be having their finalization meeting tomorrow and be contacted first round applicants tomorrow (thursday) afternoon/evening, Friday by the latest. 

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh thank you! Amherst is my top choice in terms of fit (philosophy of time), so I'm really crossing my fingers that I'll be a part of that first round... but we'll see.

1 minute ago, thatsjustsemantics said:

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh thank you! Amherst is my top choice in terms of fit (philosophy of time), so I'm really crossing my fingers that I'll be a part of that first round... but we'll see.

good luck!!! 

I would guess later tonight like they did yesterday. Most likely, they're done, they haven't decided on the other non-ancients, or they're not calling till later. Remember that Stanford is on the west coast and most schools seem to come out around 5 or 6pm wherever they are. 

3 minutes ago, oldhatnewtricks said:

Any ideas what to think about CUNY, Texas, and Columbia at this point? I'm sitting in purgatory at all three.

I've confirmed that purgatory for texas is wait list for the wait list. I don't think CUNY's sent out any of their main releases yet... I expect that in the next few days. Maybe your Columbia purgatory is also WL for the WL? Better to assume a rejection and be pleasantly surprised later. 

7 minutes ago, philosophe said:

I've confirmed that purgatory for texas is wait list for the wait list. I don't think CUNY's sent out any of their main releases yet... I expect that in the next few days. Maybe your Columbia purgatory is also WL for the WL? Better to assume a rejection and be pleasantly surprised later. 

Sweet, thanks! Is waitlisting for the waitlist standard procedure? 

2 minutes ago, oldhatnewtricks said:

Sweet, thanks! Is waitlisting for the waitlist standard procedure? 

basically they just don't tell you about it and its an extended wait list... so if they haven't rejected you, and enough of their admits and official WLs turn them down, they might make you an offer. Still possible, but not likely. UCLA is also like this. 

Edited by philosophe

I contacted Mich a few days ago. They were woefully unhelpful. The secretary gave me the standard response: "All admissions decisions will be made by March 15." I know that Mich was on Spring Break last week but that a lot of staff and faculty members were there. Mich has been all over the place in terms of when they release (ranging from early Feb to early March), but I'm sure we'll hear something by early next week (hopefully Monday). 

Hey folks, if you're interested in CUNY the DGS just responded to my inquiry: "The admissions committee is still in the final stages of its deliberations. We hope to have our final rankings by the end of this week."

I just contacted McGill because I've seen multiple rejections and one or two acceptances and my application website still says nothing. Hopefully it's good news, but at this point, anything to end Schrodinger's AppliCATion purgatory. 

1 hour ago, dthatphilosopher said:

I wrote to Mark Wrathall on Monday for an update from UCR and haven't heard back yet. Has anyone else heard from them? I'm surprised by how few posts there were from them this season on the results page (2 WL, 1 Accept). 

I am in the same boat. I also emailed Mark to see if they were finished or if the process was ongoing (over a week ago) but he didn't respond. I finally moved on and assumed rejection but it was irritating not to hear anything back. I was also surprised at how few people posted acceptances and wait lists on grad cafe but I think the ship has sailed. 

8 hours ago, dthatphilosopher said:

Ah, okay. That's frustrating! The least he can do is send a generic reply to keep us all informed about where the department is with the admissions decisions and a rough estimate of when they'll be sending updates (like some other programs have done). If only... 

Yeah I agree. I think the application fee entities one to at least basic niceties like that. I should also add of course that I don't have any direct information that they are done. I just assume that they are given what we know.