Your Best Advice for Interviews

LTee

Hey guys, I just received an email inviting me to the the interview stage of the application process! (School Psych Ed.S program.) Anyways, I feel unprepared because I wasn't expecting to make it this far in the app process SOO, Im thinking any INFO or ADVICE that ANYONE has regarding admissions interviews would be very valuable and appreciated, even if its not directly related to my program. My main worries are that Im young and I don't want to come off as immature, and Im really just afraid of drawing a blank when asked questions. I dont quite know what to expect.

one of the first things you should do is think about what you want to say to the standard questions such as

why do you want to study x? x being your particular subfield

Why this school?

Why do you want to do research?

keep in mind that if this is a technical interview (ie if they're going to ask you to explain concepts related to your field) then they will probably rush the background questions so be prepared to answer them in 1-2 well thought out sentences.

For technical interviews, I've only ever run across 2 types of questions

1) They give you some problem or ask some question related to your field and you have to solve the problem or explain the concept. You can prepare for this almost like you prepare for exams or presentations.

2) They give a scenario and ask you what you would do in that situation in order to achieve some given goal. This is harder to prepare for. You may be able to find case studies related to your field online. If you can, print them out, give them to a friend and ask them to run you through it (ie they'll describe the scenario and then you have to come up with an experimental design or whatever and then you can compare it to what was actually done).

Also, if a school gives the option for out-of-state applicants to do a phone interview, does it look better to attend the in person interview? Does it show commitment to travel to that school and actually meet the faculty, or is it completely the same effect if one opts for the phone interview?

If your interviews are anything like cognitive psychology PhD interviews, it will not be very technical. If the program is research-based, they're probably going to focus on your previous research experience. They'll ask you to talk about it and ask specific questions about it. They'll ask you if you have any questions, and you should always have some question. If you're speaking with a faculty member you'd like to work with specifically, you should ask questions about their research, even if it is just general "I know you published about X this year, are you still going in that direction or doing something new?" Edit: And if you're talking to someone whose research you have no interest in, ask about the program or the city or the school in general. Also, don't be afraid to ask questions, either because you're interested or because you don't understand something. If someone is talking about their research, they want you to be engaged enough to interact and ask questions. It shows interest.

In general, though, try to relax. You got an interview because they like your application enough to accept you. Now you just have to go to the interview and show them you can talk about research, show some enthusiasm, and are a (relatively) normal and easy to work with person. Definitely go in person if there's any way you can, because you need to see the place and talk to the faculty and students in person to get a good feel for the program.

I think that's all the general advice I can give! I can try to answer anything more specific if you think of anything else.

Edited by cogneuroforfun

All of the above plus a tip from one of my faculty mentors. Do index cards with little notes and names of people you want to remember. Even if you don't reference them they can make you feel more confident because you know you don't have to worry about forgetting something. Good luck.

All of the above, plus the advice I got when I did this last year - don't be afraid to say "I don't know" if someone asks you something you really don't know the answer to. It's OK not to know everything, and besides it's easy to spot when someone is bullshitting their way through an answer. Be prepared to say something like "I had never thought about this question; I don't know the answer but it's an interesting thing to think about" or some such. Take your time to think before you decide on an answer - the silence will feel longer than it really is, don't be phased by it. Also, and this is mostly true for phone interviews but also for in-person interviews, don't be afraid to ask the interviewer to repeat or clarify a question if you're not sure what they asked. Good luck!

Hey guys, I just received an email inviting me to the the interview stage of the application process! (School Psych Ed.S program.) Anyways, I feel unprepared because I wasn't expecting to make it this far in the app process SOO, Im thinking any INFO or ADVICE that ANYONE has regarding admissions interviews would be very valuable and appreciated, even if its not directly related to my program. My main worries are that Im young and I don't want to come off as immature, and Im really just afraid of drawing a blank when asked questions. I dont quite know what to expect.

If you're applying to any of the programs I have listed below, here's my advice:

1) Show up drunk. I don't mean have one or two at the bar before you show up - I mean start drinking at 7am so that you're absolutely blitzed when you get there. This will help with the nerves and make the faculty like you.

2) Who doesn't like t-shirt tuxedos? Wear one. And shorts - jean cut-offs if you have them. If not, Umbros are pretty fancy. You're dressing for success here and you want to let them know you're serious.

3) Mock the professor while they ask you a question. Repeat exactly what they're saying to you in a stupid voice while making crazy facial gestures. The faculty will eat this up. Who doesn't want a jokester in their program?

4) Disregard fuzzylogician's advice. If you don't know, it's time to turn the BS on. This will show them you're prepared for the wide world of academia. As long as it sounds convincing, you're home free. Another tactic is to answer all questions with "That's what she said."

5) Also concerning fuzzylogician's advice: if you don't understand their question (or even if you do), just answer one nobody asked. As long as you use the field's buzz words, you're bound to hit on the right answer somewhere. When the professor tries to stop your speech, don't take no for an answer. Hold up your finger or wave your hand dismissively, then sit back in your chair, gaze at the ceiling, and continue with your monologue.

6) Talk about the great offers you just got from the other schools on your list. Tell them a small fee might be able to retain you.

If you're applying elsewhere, I suggest disregarding my advice entirely.

WHAT ABOUT DECIDING BETWEEN THE PHONE INTERVIEW OR THE IN-PERSON INTERVIEW????? I was offered an option of doing a phone interview because Im from out of state, but will is it better to attend the in person one??? I cant decide but I need to make a decision quick...Any thoughts?? Obviously I have no second thoughts about flying and attending the in-person interview, other than the costs.

WHAT ABOUT DECIDING BETWEEN THE PHONE INTERVIEW OR THE IN-PERSON INTERVIEW????? I was offered an option of doing a phone interview because Im from out of state, but will is it better to attend the in person one??? I cant decide but I need to make a decision quick...Any thoughts?? Obviously I have no second thoughts about flying and attending the in-person interview, other than the costs.

My opinion: Do in-person unless you have reasons to believe that you will do much better in the phone interview.

If you can afford it, have the time to do it, and are very interested in the school, I'd go in person. Use the time to set up meetings with current students, other faculty you're interested in, tours of the school, etc... And it's hard to do, but try to stay calm and relax! Good luck!

If you're applying to any of the programs I have listed below, here's my advice:

1) Show up drunk. I don't mean have one or two at the bar before you show up - I mean start drinking at 7am so that you're absolutely blitzed when you get there. This will help with the nerves and make the faculty like you.

2) Who doesn't like t-shirt tuxedos? Wear one. And shorts - jean cut-offs if you have them. If not, Umbros are pretty fancy. You're dressing for success here and you want to let them know you're serious.

3) Mock the professor while they ask you a question. Repeat exactly what they're saying to you in a stupid voice while making crazy facial gestures. The faculty will eat this up. Who doesn't want a jokester in their program?

4) Disregard fuzzylogician's advice. If you don't know, it's time to turn the BS on. This will show them you're prepared for the wide world of academia. As long as it sounds convincing, you're home free. Another tactic is to answer all questions with "That's what she said."

5) Also concerning fuzzylogician's advice: if you don't understand their question (or even if you do), just answer one nobody asked. As long as you use the field's buzz words, you're bound to hit on the right answer somewhere. When the professor tries to stop your speech, don't take no for an answer. Hold up your finger or wave your hand dismissively, then sit back in your chair, gaze at the ceiling, and continue with your monologue.

6) Talk about the great offers you just got from the other schools on your list. Tell them a small fee might be able to retain you.

bad, bad, bad!!!! LOL

• 2 months later...

I would agree that an in-person interview would be better and would help you really get to know the program/city well too. Also, are you good at phone interviews? I personally am not too great at phone interviews but I can handle in-person interviews pretty well. In-person interviews allow you to use body language and appearance to show confidence (or not), whereas during phone interviews, it is all about the content of what you are saying. think about these factors (maybe thinking back to past interviews you have done) and you might realize that you perform better in a certain type of interview.

it seems, though, that taking the time to visit the school shows that you are very interested and committed to the school you are applying to, but then again, if you decide that you rock during phone interviews and bomb during in-person ones, it would be better to do the phone. I'm sure with preparation that you'll do great in either!

hope this gets you thinking!

lol, this was hilarious. It sounds like advice one of my mentors would give.

Allegedly, what I am saying is your situation will be concurrently improved if I had two hundred bucks in my pocket right now.

You're suspect. Yeah, you. I don't know what your reputation is in this town, but after the s&&t you tried to pull today, you can bet I'll be looking into you. Now the business we have here to for you can speak with my aforementioned attorney. Good day gentlemen and until that day comes, keep your ear to the grindstone.

Never turn down the opportunity to meet in person. Human nature will always focus on being positive with people they have met -- if you make a good impression. A lot of decisions are non-numbers based do if you make a good impression, then it can help you. no easier way to leave a good impression than to do so in person.