Admitted without funding - what should I do now?

DeputyDowner

I was overly ambitious this cycle - applying to only top 10-15 programs with stats that leave a lot to be desired. I was admitted to a top 10 program in my field (American politics) - but my offer letter made it clear that it would be without any financial aid. And that I would be able to try to "fund my remaining four years" through competitive opportunities (TA/RA/etc).

I am probably going to decline, but what would you do in my situation?

I would defer admission, rather than outright declining it. The advantage of deferral is that if you somehow do obtain external funding, you'd still have an offer and could attend this school. In the interim, I'd apply to every funding source I could, in addition to improving my stats and perhaps applying more broadly too.

3 hours ago, rising_star said:

I would defer admission, rather than outright declining it. The advantage of deferral is that if you somehow do obtain external funding, you'd still have an offer and could attend this school. In the interim, I'd apply to every funding source I could, in addition to improving my stats and perhaps applying more broadly too.

I would do this and make sure to apply a little more broadly for next cycle. 

Going unfunded is never a good idea.  Step 1 is to get in touch with the department.  Say you're delighted to be accepted, would love to come, etc., but that you don't have any resources to come unfunded.  It's possible that they will be able to do something for you, such as unofficially wait-listing you for funding if enough funded offers are declined.

I was actually accepted somewhere unfunded in somewhat different circumstances.  After contacting the DGS, I learned that I'd been accepted without funding because they thought I wasn't likely to come to the department in question.  He told me that if they were actually one of my top choices, they could make funding happen (ultimately they were not, so I did not pursue this to the conclusion).

It's really awful that that's happened to you, especially at a top program. I can't imagine that creates a positive environment among graduate students...

If I were in that situation I would ask to be put on a waitlist for funding (as someone suggested) or at least ask what it would take to be on one (higher test scores, etc). After that I would (after doing whatever necessary for self-care - bath, wine, netflix, w/e) start looking for research-oriented jobs to pursue over the next year in an attempt to boost my profile for the next cycle. Graduate school is stressful enough without spending the entire time worrying about where your rent money is coming from + graduating in massive debt in a volatile job market is very unwise... I don't think its worth it to plunge ahead instead of taking a year to rebuild and try again.

1 hour ago, CatMonster said:
1 hour ago, cooperstreet said:

What top 10 department admits people w/o funding? please out them so we can shame the

That would be UCLA. 

Unfortunately, yes. My understanding is that they accept several students without guaranteed funding, but offer many opportunities to apply for funding. That's just a bit riskier than I feel comfortable with (especially since I currently live in Virginia... I'd literally be moving across the country and paying three times more for living plus out-of-state tuition).

2 hours ago, ultraultra said:

It's really awful that that's happened to you, especially at a top program. I can't imagine that creates a positive environment among graduate students...

If I were in that situation I would ask to be put on a waitlist for funding (as someone suggested) or at least ask what it would take to be on one (higher test scores, etc). After that I would (after doing whatever necessary for self-care - bath, wine, netflix, w/e) start looking for research-oriented jobs to pursue over the next year in an attempt to boost my profile for the next cycle. Graduate school is stressful enough without spending the entire time worrying about where your rent money is coming from + graduating in massive debt in a volatile job market is very unwise... I don't think its worth it to plunge ahead instead of taking a year to rebuild and try again.

I've reached out to the graduate program coordinator to ask these and similar other questions recommended to me by my undergraduate professors. I also have a call scheduled with a professor tomorrow, so I'm looking forward to getting her thoughts on my situation as well (from an in-departmental perspective). I don't mind having to teach or do research to support myself (in fact, I'd really like the opportunity to teach early on - I think that could be cool), but it is asking a lot to move cross-country to pay for everything for at least a year, and then hopefully prove competitive for TA/RA/fellowships (which I have doubts about - especially since I assume I am in the minority and that most admits will be fully funded).

And I'm weighing my options. I've already been out of UG for two years working in campaigns and policy analysis, but I also applied to some master programs. My biggest weakness (in my opinion) is probably my quantitative skills, and I may be able to bolster myself a bit by going through a MPP program (if I'm admitted). But I will likely sit out a year if those prove unaffordable.

1 hour ago, DeputyDowner said:

And I'm weighing my options. I've already been out of UG for two years working in campaigns and policy analysis, but I also applied to some master programs. My biggest weakness (in my opinion) is probably my quantitative skills, and I may be able to bolster myself a bit by going through a MPP program (if I'm admitted). But I will likely sit out a year if those prove unaffordable.

IMHO, doing an MPP is not really a good way to improve your quantitative skills. Usually the level is pretty low in those more quantitative classes, unless you would be allowed to take classes in other departments.