Princeton WWS MPA 2016

dandadadan

I applied for the Domestic Policy concentration. One of their blog posts from a few months ago mentioned that emails will go out to admitted students March 11th, which feels like an enormous wait, but actually isn't all that far off. Fingers crossed for everyone!

10 hours ago, HKS hopeful said:

Hi loveglove, given your other admits, it seems you're likely to be admitted. :-) by the way, where are you from?

Getting into SAIS and SIPA vs. getting into WWS or HKS is a whole other ballpark--the type of students they look for is a bit different, so it's not a given at all. 

I'm from the U.S. but currently in China.

EDIT: Where are you from :) ?

Edited by loveglove

38 minutes ago, loveglove said:

Getting into SAIS and SIPA vs. getting into WWS or HKS is a whole other ballpark--the type of students they look for is a bit different, so it's not a given at all. 

What do you mean with a different type of students? My understanding is that they look for the same strengths but are more picky (looking for more meaningful experience, more mature aspirations, better scores, etc.). Your opinion is that they look for a different profile of students?

I'm asking because I'm in similar position as you are - I got accepted to SIPA, currently waiting for HKS and WWS. But to be honest I don't put my hopes up, and wait more anxiously for SIPA financial aid decision than for acceptance letters from these two schools.

Edited by marco_p

32 minutes ago, marco_p said:

What do you mean with a different type of students? My understanding is that they look for the same strengths but are more picky (looking for more meaningful experience, more mature aspirations, better scores, etc.). Your opinion is that they look for a different profile of students?

I'm asking because I'm in similar position as you are - I got accepted to SIPA, currently waiting for HKS and WWS. But to be honest I don't put my hopes up, and wait more anxiously for SIPA financial aid decision than for acceptance letters from these two schools.

While these programs are going to vary as far as selectivity, @loveglove is totally right that they each do have a slightly different profile they're looking for in applicants. For example, SIPA makes is pretty clear that they value international and language experience in potential candidates. Not that speaking 3 languages is ever going to hurt you, but for the SIPA Ad Comm, that would count in your favor more heavily than it would at say, NYU or Carnegie Mellon. Similarly, WWS seems to be slightly more suspicious of applicants with private sector only work experience (not that it doesn't happen, but seems to happen less frequently, and they do talk about it in their admission sessions/materials). HKS likes candidates with strong quant skills/aptitude, etc...

I think on GC we tend to talk about programs in terms of uniform tiers and try to predict what one decision will be based off another, just because we all want to know what will happen, and we can't yet, and it's terrible (DEAR GOD). Still, it's somewhat heartening to remember that these schools are all looking for slightly different things and are also all trying to round out their programs with students with different skills and backgrounds. Congrats on your SIPA early acceptance - hope news is equally good on the financial aid and other application front!

@marco_p: @shrimps is absolutely right. SAIS and SIPA tend to value international exposure a lot more. HKS and WWS seem to put a bigger emphasis on public service, especially WWS, while you can find many SAIS and SIPA grads tend to go to the private sector as well, especially SAIS. SAIS and SIPA also accept more people without work experience, which make up 20-30% of their incoming class (it's worth noting that few of these get $$, though), so I'm guessing HKS and WWS are stricter about their incoming students having work experience (exceptions exist, of course). There are also overlapping qualities that all schools look for, such as the ability to articulate your plan/goal, quantitative experience, etc. In short, most qualities that would make you a good fit for one school would be a plus at another, but the way in which each of these qualities is weighed varies. 

thanks @shrimps & @loveglove for your insight, especially as it seems that I am not entirely at odds with what the other schools look for. I try not to overthink this whole situation too much and try to wait as patiently as I can for the results. Obviously it is not easy but since I was rejected from HKS last year, I already know it wouldn't be the end of the world. And this year I have already one acceptance in my pocket which really calms my nerves.

Anyway, thanks @shrimps also for your kind words and all the best to you too, I see you are also already accepted to some schools! So the wait shouldn't be very painful for you either

I am in a situation where I neither count as a fresh undergrad nor an experienced applicant. I have been working one year in a utility company (electric and gas) as a quantitative analyst. I think my experience has huge relevance to public sector but still does not match other candidates' profiles. Despite this, I applied to HKS, WWS, GU GHD, and Maxwell. I got into Maxwell but very am skeptical of the funding (because many members here have reiterated the importance of experience in funding decisions). I just just hope that some other strong aspects of my application partially compensate my lack of international experience (although I am from a developing country). 

Edited by Expedia

I'm waiting on WWS too - definitely my top choice with Fletcher in second and SAIS in third. Slightly differently to most GCers I'm applying to MPP/mid-career programs. I heard that the Princeton MPP is slightly less competitive than the MPA. On the one hand I have lots of public sector experience (8yrs in foreign service) and a clear focus and narrative. On the other  my quant background is...terrible. Guess we'll see in mid March! Good luck everyone!

On 2016-02-18 at 8:46 AM, shrimps said:

While these programs are going to vary as far as selectivity, @loveglove is totally right that they each do have a slightly different profile they're looking for in applicants. For example, SIPA makes is pretty clear that they value international and language experience in potential candidates. Not that speaking 3 languages is ever going to hurt you, but for the SIPA Ad Comm, that would count in your favor more heavily than it would at say, NYU or Carnegie Mellon. Similarly, WWS seems to be slightly more suspicious of applicants with private sector only work experience (not that it doesn't happen, but seems to happen less frequently, and they do talk about it in their admission sessions/materials). HKS likes candidates with strong quant skills/aptitude, etc...

I think on GC we tend to talk about programs in terms of uniform tiers and try to predict what one decision will be based off another, just because we all want to know what will happen, and we can't yet, and it's terrible (DEAR GOD). Still, it's somewhat heartening to remember that these schools are all looking for slightly different things and are also all trying to round out their programs with students with different skills and backgrounds. Congrats on your SIPA early acceptance - hope news is equally good on the financial aid and other application front!

Thanks for this helpful post and best of fortunes to my fellows applicants!

On the topic of which schools focus more on quant, does anyone have an idea of how low WWS and HKS are generally willing to go for MPA (WWS)/ MPP (HKS) applicant's quant scores? I have a 4.0 GPA, scored 170 on verbal, and 6 on writing, but only managed a 155 on quant. I've done well (though not exceptionally so) in a couple quant methods undergrad courses, but don't have much else to show in that respect. My focus is on social policy, which tends to involve more qualitative research than other policy areas, but the quant issue is still a concern for me because I'm sure my score will stand out in a negative way.

Edited by quietman

21 hours ago, quietman said:

Thanks for this helpful post and best of fortunes to my fellows applicants!

On the topic of which schools focus more on quant, does anyone have an idea of how low WWS and HKS are generally willing to go for MPA (WWS)/ MPP (HKS) applicant's quant scores? I have a 4.0 GPA, scored 170 on verbal, and 6 on writing, but only managed a 155 on quant. I've done well (though not exceptionally so) in a couple quant methods undergrad courses, but don't have much else to show in that respect. My focus is on social policy, which tends to involve more qualitative research than other policy areas, but the quant issue is still a concern for me because I'm sure my score will stand out in a negative way.

I think both schools are probably willing to forgive a quant score of 155 if you were able to explain how your score doesn't reflect your true ability. What are your other qualifications? Do you think you have unique, meaningful work experience? For both these schools especially, I think if they found a unicorn they wouldn't let it go just because it wasn't the best at math.

• 2 weeks later...

Anxiously awaiting March 11th! The day before my birthday...The WWS decision could make for a marvelous celebration or a weekend of tears! Hahaa very dramatic but it's one of my top choices! 

3 hours ago, HRC2016 said:

did you get the "YES" email a few days prior to the official notification date?

Have some individuals, like yourself, already received such an email? On TheGradCafe survey page, there hasn't been any applicants indicating that they've been notified of their decision some time prior to the official date.

37 minutes ago, HRC2016 said:

No but I've read in past years' posts that such an email was sent out!

I just looked this up from last year's forum. It seems last year the YES! emails came out the same day as the rejections? or the day before perhaps.

I too am hoping for next Thursday/Friday. I hope WWS used their leap day this year to make decisions come out a day sooner than last year!

They try and send out decisions all at the same time. Last year we heard back a day or two before we expected to, so I nearly had a heart attack when I checked my email and had a message from admissions in my inbox. Good luck to all you applicants. The wait will be over before you know it!

And for those who do get in. . .come to admit weekend if you can!