2017 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Dank

2 minutes ago, biochemgirl67 said:

Well obviously Vanderbilt IGP should stay on the list because I'm biased. :)

But honestly there's a lot of them.  I would start looking at schools such as University of Utah, Colorado State, university of Oregon, UTSW, university of Georgia, Penn state, and so forth.

You will definitely get into a good program, but the key is to apply widely because different programs evaluate differently.  Some schools want you to have previous, long term experience in the field (Harvard for me) and some will realize that they will give you the experience.  It's really all about applying to different types of schools/environments/programs so you have a good chance of finding a fit.

Awesome, thanks a lot! I'll definitely be looking into those schools more for sure. Vanderbilt is actually one of my top choices (if not the top) and that may or may not be the school I have emailed with fairly extensively because I like what you all do over there... I will say Mt Sinai and Emory will be the first to come off of my list because those feel like too big of a reach as well as UNC BBSP.

2 hours ago, localsciencedealer said:

Awesome, thanks a lot! I'll definitely be looking into those schools more for sure. Vanderbilt is actually one of my top choices (if not the top) and that may or may not be the school I have emailed with fairly extensively because I like what you all do over there... I will say Mt Sinai and Emory will be the first to come off of my list because those feel like too big of a reach as well as UNC BBSP.

A lot of people who got interviews at Emory and UNC seemed to also have them at Vanderbilt... i was offered the very first weekend, which I think corresponded to their priority applicants/deadline.

I don't think you should necessarily cut any of the schools you've listed... just add in 3-4 more that are diverse in their competition. You want to have a few schools that you stand a good chance at getting an interview so you don't drive yourself nuts in the fall, some that you are competitive but not necessarily the top of their applicant pool, and maybe 2 reaches if you want to give it a shot.  Therefore I'd focus on the tier where you will be not a sure thing but stand very good chances.

You don't want to apply too low either... i did with university of Tennessee and once my letter writer there heard i got an interview at Vandy, he told the adcom not to consider me at all even though my credentials indicated that I would have exceeded their expectations in their program.  So I basically wasted $60 and the time it took to do their application.  It's all about balance.

Edited by biochemgirl67

I'm not sure if my application will be ready by the end of this year, or next, but here's where I'm at.
I'm kind of a... unconventional case.

Undergrad Institution: Art school
Major(s): BFA Illustration / Fine Arts
Minor(s): Art History
Overall GPA: 3.88
Position in Class: Top 10%
Type of Student: Domestic white female

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 160
V: 166
W: 4.5
B: currently studying for it, I'm going to need it.

Research Experience: Working on my first "real" year of biology research now at Harvard (where I work), in the lab I want to apply to. I'm learning relevant software and techniques and working with current students and postdocs to revise some phylogenic trees. There should be some nice posters and papers once the data is collected. My application date will probably be based in part on this...

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Aside from the usual high-gpa 'dean's list' stuff, my awards/honors are all in arts. I have done residencies on tall ships, been accepted to juried shows, etc. My artwork is all biological/science/anatomy based. I can do more technical scientific illustrations, its not all floofy conceptual "pretty" stuff. 

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: 6 years in a natural history museum as an aide in collections. Job duties include research-relevant things such as IDing specimens, learning taxonomy. I've done a little fieldwork (not much yet) both organized day trips and locally on my own time.

I've taught summer classes at another university for 4 years, though in art.

Special Bonus Points: I've taken 3 biology classes at Harvard so far, 2 a few years ago where I applied for Special Student status and received it, and one this year due to my employment status. 4.0 so far, waiting on this semester's class but unless I completely bombed my final I'm expecting an A. Planning to take another class in the fall; these classes are technically through GSAS for grad credit. Aside from a recommendation from the curator (who I also had as a professor), I consider this the most important part of my application. I'm trying to figure out who else to ask for recommendations from, but I'm waiting to take subject GRE before I worry too much.

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: I've done some unconventional stuff in the time after undergrad, aside from random art stuff I've done things like manage a game store and teach myself taxidermy + specimen prep for all kinds of specimens (tanning, bone cleaning, insect mounting, wet preservation, etc). I have a lot of 'hands on' skills like woodworking, moldmaking, some degree of fabrication. I know most digital art programs which has been helpful as I learn to image specimens. 

Applying to Where:
Harvard-OEB. If it doesn't work, I'll try again until it does. Or find someone else to work under who is studying my taxonomic group, it's not particularly common so there are only a few out there. Or apply for a MFA instead, but I have been looking around at MFA programs and haven't been particularly excited.

My assumption currently is that as an unconventional student, I have a very low chance especially for Harvard, so I'm working hard to get a good subject score, take classes whenever possible, and get research done to improve those chances.

11 hours ago, rageofanath said:

I'm not sure if my application will be ready by the end of this year, or next, but here's where I'm at.
I'm kind of a... unconventional case.

Undergrad Institution: Art school
Major(s): BFA Illustration / Fine Arts
Minor(s): Art History
Overall GPA: 3.88
Position in Class: Top 10%
Type of Student: Domestic white female

Q: 160
V: 166
W: 4.5
B: currently studying for it, I'm going to need it.

Research Experience: Working on my first "real" year of biology research now at Harvard (where I work), in the lab I want to apply to. I'm learning relevant software and techniques and working with current students and postdocs to revise some phylogenic trees. There should be some nice posters and papers once the data is collected. My application date will probably be based in part on this...

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Aside from the usual high-gpa 'dean's list' stuff, my awards/honors are all in arts. I have done residencies on tall ships, been accepted to juried shows, etc. My artwork is all biological/science/anatomy based. I can do more technical scientific illustrations, its not all floofy conceptual "pretty" stuff. 

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: 6 years in a natural history museum as an aide in collections. Job duties include research-relevant things such as IDing specimens, learning taxonomy. I've done a little fieldwork (not much yet) both organized day trips and locally on my own time.

I've taught summer classes at another university for 4 years, though in art.

Special Bonus Points: I've taken 3 biology classes at Harvard so far, 2 a few years ago where I applied for Special Student status and received it, and one this year due to my employment status. 4.0 so far, waiting on this semester's class but unless I completely bombed my final I'm expecting an A. Planning to take another class in the fall; these classes are technically through GSAS for grad credit. Aside from a recommendation from the curator (who I also had as a professor), I consider this the most important part of my application. I'm trying to figure out who else to ask for recommendations from, but I'm waiting to take subject GRE before I worry too much.

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: I've done some unconventional stuff in the time after undergrad, aside from random art stuff I've done things like manage a game store and teach myself taxidermy + specimen prep for all kinds of specimens (tanning, bone cleaning, insect mounting, wet preservation, etc). I have a lot of 'hands on' skills like woodworking, moldmaking, some degree of fabrication. I know most digital art programs which has been helpful as I learn to image specimens. 

Applying to Where:
Harvard-OEB. If it doesn't work, I'll try again until it does. Or find someone else to work under who is studying my taxonomic group, it's not particularly common so there are only a few out there. Or apply for a MFA instead, but I have been looking around at MFA programs and haven't been particularly excited.

My assumption currently is that as an unconventional student, I have a very low chance especially for Harvard, so I'm working hard to get a good subject score, take classes whenever possible, and get research done to improve those chances.

Your stats are good, but the fact that you don't have much  of a biology background will be an issue. I wouldn't try to apply this semester if I were you. I would take a year or two more of doing full time lab work and courses to compensate for your background. However, I am confident that with more experience you'll get in to some great programs.

Undergrad Institution: Top 30 ranked liberal arts college in US
Major(s): Biochemistry and molecular biology
Minor(s):
GPA in Major: 3.98
Overall GPA: 3.96
Position in Class: Top 5%, most likely get summa cum laude when I graduate
Type of Student: International Asian female
GRE Scores (revised/old version): revised
Q: 165
V: 165
W:4.5
B: not taking

Research Experience: 

By the time I apply,

1 summer after freshman year in a virology/immuno lab in an Ivy. Got good data that ended up in a paper but my contribution to the project was not enough to get me a co-authorship in that paper. 2 posters.

3 semesters and 1 summer in a microbio/biochem lab at home institution. PI is trying to see whether we got enough data for a manuscript. If she decides to write up something, I will be one of the authors. 1 poster presented at 2 regional conferences.

1 semester and 1 summer in a virology/immuno lab in an Ivy (currently working in this lab and will be doing my thesis here). Just started working here officially. PI is very optimistic of my project. I will be 1st author on a manuscript if my project works out.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Fellowships for summer research, nominated for a scholarship but didn't get it (won't mention this in my application). My school is very against any public discussions about students' academic performance before they graduate, so I won't have much in this category until I graduate.

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Dean's office peer tutor for 1.5 years. Lab TA for Biochemistry and Microbiology.

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: Co-head of a student-run association that focuses on providing more resources for STEM majors (we are a liberal arts college after all and most of our resources are for humanity majors). Major rep for Biochem.

Special Bonus Points: Maintained very good relationship with the all the PIs I worked with. Have some connections in the Ivy because of lab collaboration and classes I took there.

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: Um... I'm really good at math and programing besides biology and that might be helpful? I am not planning on going into biostat or anything though... 

Applying to Where:

The first four programs I have looked in depth and absolutely love. I'm still looking at people from the other six programs and am not sure whether I'll actually apply... But here's the list.

Yale BBS immunology

UChicago Immunology

UPenn CAMB

Scripps

Harvard BBS ??

Stanford Biosciences Immunology ??

Weill Cornell IMP/BCMB ??

Albert Einstein College of Medicine ??

Princeton ??

Tufts ??

Am I aiming too high here? I'm worried since I'm international and may not have any publication by the time I apply. I am tempted to not apply to safety schools since gap year is an option but I also don't want to take a gap year... 

Thanks a lot guys!

On 5/18/2016 at 3:05 PM, biochemgirl67 said:

A lot of people who got interviews at Emory and UNC seemed to also have them at Vanderbilt... i was offered the very first weekend, which I think corresponded to their priority applicants/deadline.

I don't think you should necessarily cut any of the schools you've listed... just add in 3-4 more that are diverse in their competition. You want to have a few schools that you stand a good chance at getting an interview so you don't drive yourself nuts in the fall, some that you are competitive but not necessarily the top of their applicant pool, and maybe 2 reaches if you want to give it a shot.  Therefore I'd focus on the tier where you will be not a sure thing but stand very good chances.

You don't want to apply too low either... i did with university of Tennessee and once my letter writer there heard i got an interview at Vandy, he told the adcom not to consider me at all even though my credentials indicated that I would have exceeded their expectations in their program.  So I basically wasted $60 and the time it took to do their application.  It's all about balance.

That sounds like some stellar advice. I've applied to PhD programs before and it did not go well. I only applied to 1 school I felt competitive at and was driving myself insane. I have never felt so bipolar in my life so I'm trying to avoid that at all costs. I will be reposting my stats and list of schools after I've refined my options and have updated GRE scores for all to examine.

19 hours ago, pitchfork said:

Minor(s):

Research Experience: 

By the time I apply,

1 summer after freshman year in a virology/immuno lab in an Ivy. Got good data that ended up in a paper but my contribution to the project was not enough to get me a co-authorship in that paper. 2 posters.

3 semesters and 1 summer in a microbio/biochem lab at home institution. PI is trying to see whether we got enough data for a manuscript. If she decides to write up something, I will be one of the authors. 1 poster presented at 2 regional conferences.

1 semester and 1 summer in a virology/immuno lab in an Ivy (currently working in this lab and will be doing my thesis here). Just started working here officially. PI is very optimistic of my project. I will be 1st author on a manuscript if my project works out.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Fellowships for summer research, nominated for a scholarship but didn't get it (won't mention this in my application). My school is very against any public discussions about students' academic performance before they graduate, so I won't have much in this category until I graduate.

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Dean's office peer tutor for 1.5 years. Lab TA for Biochemistry and Microbiology.

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: Co-head of a student-run association that focuses on providing more resources for STEM majors (we are a liberal arts college after all and most of our resources are for humanity majors). Major rep for Biochem.

Special Bonus Points: Maintained very good relationship with the all the PIs I worked with. Have some connections in the Ivy because of lab collaboration and classes I took there.

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: Um... I'm really good at math and programing besides biology and that might be helpful? I am not planning on going into biostat or anything though... 

Applying to Where:

The first four programs I have looked in depth and absolutely love. I'm still looking at people from the other six programs and am not sure whether I'll actually apply... But here's the list.

Yale BBS immunology

UChicago Immunology

UPenn CAMB

Scripps

Harvard BBS ??

Princeton ??

Tufts ??

Am I aiming too high here? I'm worried since I'm international and may not have any publication by the time I apply. I am tempted to not apply to safety schools since gap year is an option but I also don't want to take a gap year... 

Thanks a lot guys!

You have a good mix of schools that you are applying to, and your stats and experience are great. You don't need a publication to competitive, so don't worry about it. You are very competitive applicant. With that being said, it's always good to apply to safety, just make sure it's a place where you can still do good research and be happy. Good luck!

On 5/20/2016 at 3:22 PM, pitchfork said:

Minor(s):

Research Experience: 

By the time I apply,

Applying to Where:

Yale BBS immunology

UChicago Immunology

UPenn CAMB

Scripps

Harvard BBS ??

Princeton ??

Tufts ??

Thanks a lot guys!

Is there a reason you're interested in applying to UPenn CAMB and Harvard BBS as opposed to UPenn Immunology and Harvard Immunology? It just seems that, given your interests and the other programs you're applying to, those may be better fits.

On 5/18/2016 at 10:45 PM, Ferroportin said:

I think you have a very strong profile, but as you've pointed out, your GPA is going to be your Achille's heel. It's hard to say whether or not your GPA will prevent your application from even being reviewed (some people on this thread say yes...others say no...) but regardless, I would just make sure you explain it well in your SOP.

I would also suggest adding UCSF to your potential list of schools. They have a strong neuro program there (plus cost of living is on par with Berkeley and Palo Alto anways).

Thanks so much for the replies!  UCSF is one of my dreams, but I figured I wouldn't be a competitive enough applicant there.  I'll definitely be adding it to my list based on the suggestion.  I'll be there in a couple of weeks, and I'm considering emailing a professor or two who lead labs that I'm absolutely in love with.  Who knows, maybe I could meet with them during my visit!  

Also @Bioenchilada maybe, maybe not re: UM ;) Thanks for your response!  

On 5/19/2016 at 11:11 AM, kimmibeans said:

Your stats are good, but the fact that you don't have much  of a biology background will be an issue. I wouldn't try to apply this semester if I were you. I would take a year or two more of doing full time lab work and courses to compensate for your background. However, I am confident that with more experience you'll get in to some great programs.

Yeah that's the problem I'm running into. People need a piece of paper to "prove" you know something. It's going to take some time to grab all the pieces of paper and get the t's crossed and i's dotted to make the higher-ups happy. And I agree, I'm not optimistic that I'll have done enough in time for this year.

3 minutes ago, rageofanath said:

Yeah that's the problem I'm running into. People need a piece of paper to "prove" you know something. It's going to take some time to grab all the pieces of paper and get the t's crossed and i's dotted to make the higher-ups happy. And I agree, I'm not optimistic that I'll have done enough in time for this year.

I mean, the study of molecular science/biology is really detailed.  It requires  a good deal of knowledge.  It's not something you can just jump into without previous credentials.  The piece of paper you refer to isn't just for the administration.  And taking a couple classes while working is not the same thing as having a robust scientific background.  You don't really have the experience, academic or research, to indicate to the adcoms that you can hack a 5-6 year program.  You would have to get some actual INDEPENDENT research experience, not just working in a lab, and take a good deal of academic coursework.  (Many PhD programs require foundational coursework and will make you take it before you can take their program.  Especially if it's like biochemistry or genetics.)  What about if you went and tried to get a master's?  That would prove a good deal to PhD committees.

23 hours ago, immuno91 said:

Is there a reason you're interested in applying to UPenn CAMB and Harvard BBS as opposed to UPenn Immunology and Harvard Immunology? It just seems that, given your interests and the other programs you're applying to, those may be better fits.

Thanks for your response! The Harvard one was a typo; I actually meant to write Immunology. The reason I wrote Penn CAMB is because it accepts more international students (due to funding issues, or so I was told) and most of the immuno faculty are involved in CAMB anyway. I will find out more about Penn immunology's funding situation for international students this year and then decide which program I want to apply.

1 hour ago, biochemgirl67 said:

I mean, the study of molecular science/biology is really detailed.  It requires  a good deal of knowledge.  It's not something you can just jump into without previous credentials.  The piece of paper you refer to isn't just for the administration.  And taking a couple classes while working is not the same thing as having a robust scientific background.  You don't really have the experience, academic or research, to indicate to the adcoms that you can hack a 5-6 year program.  You would have to get some actual INDEPENDENT research experience, not just working in a lab, and take a good deal of academic coursework.  (Many PhD programs require foundational coursework and will make you take it before you can take their program.  Especially if it's like biochemistry or genetics.)  What about if you went and tried to get a master's?  That would prove a good deal to PhD committees.

That's what I'm doing now. I'm not just some lab tech, I'm doing research that is becoming more independent with every skill I acquire. I can't afford a Master's since usually they aren't funded, I'd need similar credentials for admissions, and my intended program is masters+PhD anyway. The difference is I'm doing this work independently rather than through a program, but still need to work up an admissions profile that has all the dotted i's and crossed t's people who take a traditional route have. So that's why I'm doing research to get a few papers out instead under the person who is my intended advisor. I won't be able to jump the admissions hurdle until at least one of the papers is out and there's a subject specific GRE score to 'prove' I have 'actually' learned everything I have actually learned, on top of being vouched for with strong letters of recommendation, which I can get easily. The big question is whether that's this year or next year, so I put my profile up in the thread anyway.

From what I have seen from your previous answers, I think we're doing very different kinds of research, with very different requirements and kinds of skills + knowledge needed. I'm not looking at the sorts of programs you are (congrats by the way!!!! :D:D:D) so our application needs are probably quite different, but I appreciate that you took the time to look at my profile and make a comment. Thanks.

Undergrad Institution: a mediocre university (top 100)
Major(s): Biology
Minor(s): Chemistry
GPA in Major: 
Overall GPA: 3.94
Position in Class: Top 5% (graduated magna cum laude)
Type of Student: Korean American, male
GRE Scores (revised/old version): will take it in September

Research Experience: 

1 year of research experience in zebrafish lab, no publication

currently working in a neuroscience lab in San Diego

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Dean's Scholar, Magna Cum Laude

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Organic Chemistry TA for 2 years, Molecular Biology TA for 1 year, 1 year of industry experience in bioanalytical chemistry

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: Orchestra conductor for 1 year in college, Korean Student Association Basketball Team

Special Bonus Points: Two great letters from the professors I worked with as a TA and one from my current PI

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: 

Applying to Where:

UCSD, Bioengineering phD

UC Irvine, Bioengineering phD

UC Davis, Bioengineering phD

UCLA, Bioengineering phD

U of Washington, Bioengineering phD

Scripps Research Institute phD

Oregon Health and Science University, Bioengineering phD

Columbia University, Bioengineering phD

University of Pittsburgh, Bioengineering phD

Boston University, Bioengineering phD

Purdue, Bioengineering

I recently started studying for the GRE and I feel pretty confident in the Quant section. I'm expecting a high 160. Please let me know what you guys think.

32 minutes ago, Gavin Hong said:

Undergrad Institution: a mediocre university (top 100)
Major(s): Biology
Minor(s): Chemistry
GPA in Major: 
Overall GPA: 3.94
Position in Class: Top 5% (graduated magna cum laude)
Type of Student: Korean American, male
GRE Scores (revised/old version): will take it in September

Research Experience: 

1 year of research experience in zebrafish lab, no publication

currently working in a neuroscience lab in San Diego

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Dean's Scholar, Magna Cum Laude

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Organic Chemistry TA for 2 years, Molecular Biology TA for 1 year, 1 year of industry experience in bioanalytical chemistry

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: Orchestra conductor for 1 year in college, Korean Student Association Basketball Team

Special Bonus Points: Two great letters from the professors I worked with as a TA and one from my current PI

Applying to Where:

UCSD, Bioengineering phD

UC Irvine, Bioengineering phD

UC Davis, Bioengineering phD

UCLA, Bioengineering phD

U of Washington, Bioengineering phD

Scripps Research Institute phD

Oregon Health and Science University, Bioengineering phD

Columbia University, Bioengineering phD

University of Pittsburgh, Bioengineering phD

Boston University, Bioengineering phD

Purdue, Bioengineering

I recently started studying for the GRE and I feel pretty confident in the Quant section. I'm expecting a high 160. Please let me know what you guys think.

Your numbers are very good, but you are a little short on experience. Applying this cycle might lead to good results but getting more experience would be even better. You also only have 1 rec letter coming from a PI, what happened to the other person you worked with?

7 minutes ago, Bioenchilada said:

Your numbers are very good, but you are a little short on experience. Applying this cycle might lead to good results but getting more experience would be even better. You also only have 1 rec letter coming from a PI, what happened to the other person you worked with?

I didn't keep in touch with him after I left the lab. He wasn't all that interested in training me in the first place which is the reason why I left after about one year. I could get a letter from a PI I worked with at a biotech company. Do you think it'd be helpful to switch one of the letters from a professor with his?

43 minutes ago, Bioenchilada said:

Not everyone is going to have four years of research and two summer REUs. One year of experience is the minimum, but it looks like he will have more than that when he applies. 

@Gavin Hong As long as you do well on the GRE and keep your GPA up, you should not have trouble getting into the schools you have listed. LORs from people who have seen your research more important that LORs from professors with whom you have had courses or helped teach courses. Start writing your SOP now, maybe send some cold emails to professors at those universities who are doing work that interests you, and relax. Apply widely, and plan to go on several interviews. 

9 minutes ago, blc073 said:

Not everyone is going to have four years of research and two summer REUs. One year of experience is the minimum, but it looks like he will have more than that when he applies. 

@Gavin Hong As long as you do well on the GRE and keep your GPA up, you should not have trouble getting into the schools you have listed. LORs from people who have seen your research more important that LORs from professors with whom you have had courses or helped teach courses. Start writing your SOP now, maybe send some cold emails to professors at those universities who are doing work that interests you, and relax. Apply widely, and plan to go on several interviews. 

Thank you for your reply! I will keep that in mind.

I am from a psychophysics background but want to do my PhD in computational neuroscience. I applied last year but it turned out to be a total disaster – I was not invited for an interview by any of the six programs I applied to. I am wondering if my background and experience looks completely irrelevant, and I cannot be accepted into a neuroscience program no matter what. :(

Undergrad Institution: Foreign – possibly not very well-known to US professors….
Major(s): Psychology & Neuroscience
Minor(s): Computer Science
GPA in Major: 4.15/4.30
Overall GPA: 3.98/4.30
Position in Class: Not ranked
Type of Student: International female

Q: 96%
V: 96%
W: 54%
B: N/A

Research Experience: 

(1) Active research involvement in psychophysics since freshman year (4 international conference posters/talks; 2 first-author manuscripts under review)

(2) 1-year research in machine learning algorithms and mathematical electrophysiology

(3) No wet-lab research experience, sadly.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Dean’s List every year; a couple of other academic awards/prizes.

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: TA’ed for two terms

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: Nothing might help me anymore :(

Special Bonus Points: Two very supportive recommenders, but neither is a neuroscientist. Not sure if they are extremely ‘well-known’. Both got an h-index on Google Scholar of about 45. I got a lukewarm third recommender last year. Definitely going to replace him this year. :wacko:

Applying to Where:

Berkeley: Neuroscience/Vision Sciences

Brown: Neuroscience

Columbia: Doctoral Program in Neurobiology and Behavior

Harvard: Neurobiology

MIT: BCS

NYU: Neuroscience

Princeton: Neuroscience

Rochester: BCS

Yale: BBS (Neuroscience Track)

UCSD: Neuroscience

UT Austin: Neuroscience

U Washington: Neuroscience

U Michigan: Neuroscience

And anywhere else that has a Swartz Foundation affiliation, e.g., Brandeis, Caltech, CSHL, UCSF

37 minutes ago, BayesianBrain said:

I am from a psychophysics background but want to do my PhD in computational neuroscience. I applied last year but it turned out to be a total disaster – I was not invited for an interview by any of the six programs I applied to. I am wondering if my background and experience looks completely irrelevant, and I cannot be accepted into a neuroscience program no matter what. :(

Undergrad Institution: Foreign – possibly not very well-known to US professors….
Major(s): Psychology & Neuroscience
Minor(s): Computer Science
GPA in Major: 4.15/4.30
Overall GPA: 3.98/4.30
Position in Class: Not ranked
Type of Student: International female

Q: 96%
V: 96%
W: 54%
B: N/A

Research Experience: 

(1) Active research involvement in psychophysics since freshman year (4 international conference posters/talks; 2 first-author manuscripts under review)

(2) 1-year research in machine learning algorithms and mathematical electrophysiology

(3) No wet-lab research experience, sadly.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Dean’s List every year; a couple of other academic awards/prizes.

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: TA’ed for two terms

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: Nothing might help me anymore :(

Special Bonus Points: Two very supportive recommenders, but neither is a neuroscientist. Not sure if they are extremely ‘well-known’. Both got an h-index on Google Scholar of about 45. I got a lukewarm third recommender last year. Definitely going to replace him this year. :wacko:

Applying to Where:

Berkeley: Neuroscience/Vision Sciences

Brown: Neuroscience

Columbia: Doctoral Program in Neurobiology and Behavior

Harvard: Neurobiology

MIT: BCS

NYU: Neuroscience

Princeton: Neuroscience

Rochester: BCS

Yale: BBS (Neuroscience Track)

UCSD: Neuroscience

UT Austin: Neuroscience

U Washington: Neuroscience

U Michigan: Neuroscience

And anywhere else that has a Swartz Foundation affiliation, e.g., Brandeis, Caltech, CSHL, UCSF

What have you done to make your profile different from last year? Did you conduct research of some sort? How will you explain your interest in computational neuroscience in your SOP? How has your research experience prepared you to pursue a degree in computational neuroscience? Why are you only applying to top schools? 

30 minutes ago, Bioenchilada said:

What have you done to make your profile different from last year? Did you conduct research of some sort? How will you explain your interest in computational neuroscience in your SOP? How has your research experience prepared you to pursue a degree in computational neuroscience? Why are you only applying to top schools? 

Thanks! Good questions. In fact, great questions. I didn't have the second entry of my research experience "(2) 1-year research in machine learning algorithms and mathematical electrophysiology" last year. I have taken a number of grad-level computer science/engineering courses since last year. My current university unfortunately doesn't have many people doing theoretical neuroscience, so I guess most of my preparation for the PhD is done through coursework, rather than research participation.

I chose those programs because they have PIs whose research interests match mine. I actually made connections with 4-5 PIs at some of those schools prior to applying last year - they sounded so welcoming in their emails to me, but that didn't really make a difference in the end.

22 minutes ago, BayesianBrain said:

Thanks! Good questions. In fact, great questions. I didn't have the second entry of my research experience "(2) 1-year research in machine learning algorithms and mathematical electrophysiology" last year. I have taken a number of grad-level computer science/engineering courses since last year. My current university unfortunately doesn't have many people doing theoretical neuroscience, so I guess most of my preparation for the PhD is done through coursework, rather than research participation.

I chose those programs because they have PIs whose research interests match mine. I actually made connections with 4-5 PIs at some of those schools prior to applying last year - they sounded so welcoming in their emails to me, but that didn't really make a difference in the end.

What schools did you apply to last year? PIs typically do not have a say in interview invitations. 

My guess is that one "lukewarm" recommendation tanked your entire application. Experience and LORs are the most important components in an application. 

On 6/1/2016 at 7:27 PM, blc073 said:

@rageofanath Did somebody tell you that it is possible to get into a biology PhD program without a BS in biology or a related field? 

No, there is not "somebody" who is "telling me" things. I'm collaborating with several people to achieve this goal.

A traditional path isn't the only way to achieve a goal, and plenty of non-traditional students out there who don't follow linear "traditional" routes, or course correct in late 20s with unconventional methods. I know a quite a few. 'Possible' isn't really a factor in my choice here, since even if I fail I will have gained important strides toward my ultimate goals and will continue to work in with my advisor in the non-conventional position I currently have. "Student" is primarily an administrative title, in my case, but a very desirable and convenient one. Just being accepted isn't a guarantee that anyone will achieve the degree so, one step at a time. 

Either way, the information provided in this short bio is clearly not really enough information for random people to assess my situation. So this has been very helpful as it has made very apparent that a very well written and explanatory letter of intent is going to be the most important part of my application after recommendations. Thanks. :)

Edit; Also double checked the admissions requirements. No Bio/Related BS/MS degree is listed as a requirement, just coursework, which I'm currently fulfilling.

Edited by rageofanath

1 hour ago, rageofanath said:

No, there is not "somebody" who is "telling me" things. I'm collaborating with several people to achieve this goal.

A traditional path isn't the only way to achieve a goal, and plenty of non-traditional students out there who don't follow linear "traditional" routes, or course correct in late 20s with unconventional methods. I know a quite a few. 'Possible' isn't really a factor in my choice here, since even if I fail I will have gained important strides toward my ultimate goals and will continue to work in with my advisor in the non-conventional position I currently have. "Student" is primarily an administrative title, in my case, but a very desirable and convenient one. Just being accepted isn't a guarantee that anyone will achieve the degree so, one step at a time. 

Either way, the information provided in this short bio is clearly not really enough information for random people to assess my situation. So this has been very helpful as it has made very apparent that a very well written and explanatory letter of intent is going to be the most important part of my application after recommendations. Thanks. :)

Edit; Also double checked the admissions requirements. No Bio/Related BS/MS degree is listed as a requirement, just coursework, which I'm currently fulfilling.

Wow. 

I looked through the requirements and found that an applicant needs fourteen semester courses to apply. I was just asking to see if you were aware of the requirements. When I see fourteen semester courses, I immediately assume a degree. 

Regardless, based on your response, you seem like a completely likable person, so I'm sure you will be fine. 

Good luck!