Biology applicants Fall 2010

takshila

Gremot, I heard somewhere that they accept about 2/3 of the people they interview but I think it was on college confidential discussion board, so it's not necessarily an accurate information. PIBS is one program that everyone seems to be applying to - either as a reach school or as a safe school!

I got an email after I submitted my application that gave a list of the three interview dates. If you hear anything from them will you post here?

I'm surprised not to have heard from them either - the program is something of a safety school for me (or so I thought).

You're right, I just looked at the e-mail:

For your planning purposes, if you are invited to visit, we will be holding 3 recruitment weekends. The tentative dates of the weekends are February 4-7, 18-21 and March 4-7.

Seems like no one as submitted any "results" here about interview invites to Colorado, so perhaps they just haven't sent them out. I was considering it a "safety" school as well.

Expecting that UCSF Tetrad rejection any minute now.....too bad as it was my 1st choice :(

Still no interviews...or rejections....would like to hear something soon!!!

We applied to several of the same schools. I still haven't heard anything from the MA schools (Tufts, UMass, BU, Harvard) and I don't know if anyone has yet. Nothing like silence from 6 out of 9 schools. I am sure you will get interviews :)

Hi everyone. Do you guys know if the UCSF tetrad, Berkeley MCB or Chicago has finished sending out the interview invitations yet?? I know UCLA ACCESS will probably start sending the invitations out later.

Has any international students received invitations?? I haven't got any and i'm reeeeeaally nervous!!

I'm actually curious if anybody knows - when Rockefeller accepts the lucky applicants, does the decision come via FedEx or by regular mail? The lengthy list of rejections in the Results database indicates that rejections come as a thin large envelope via USPS... Do they ever communicate with applicants in any other way (email, call etc)?

Rockefeller will probably send out decisions in the next week via mail - from my understanding. They receive about 700 applicants every year and take about 60. Usually no emails or calls.

Hi everyone. Do you guys know if the UCSF tetrad, Berkeley MCB or Chicago has finished sending out the interview invitations yet?? I know UCLA ACCESS will probably start sending the invitations out later.

Has any international students received invitations?? I haven't got any and i'm reeeeeaally nervous!!

I think Tetrad is finished sending out invites (I'm pretty upset about that). It's been ages since anyone has heard from Berkeley MCB, but maybe there is a second wave coming.

Yea congrats, Rocafellar is a huge acceptance (my PI went to Harvard for his PhD and I know they were his only rejection when he applied back in the day). Still haven't heard anything good or bad yet :-/.....waiting is a lot more stressful than I thought it would be, it makes you think of all the potential flaws in your application and worry that they will all reject you!

Rejection from UCSF Tetrad via e-mail this afternoon. Glad they made me login to their website to find that out.

Yeah I just got the email also. What a bummer. They make you login and all it says in big red letters is "Your Application Status: Denied"

Also just got a rejection email from MIT, there's was much more courteous.

Has anybody heard from Harvard (MCB)?

I think Tetrad is finished sending out invites (I'm pretty upset about that). It's been ages since anyone has heard from Berkeley MCB, but maybe there is a second wave coming.

Berkeley MCB is apparently finished sending interview invites, too.

Got the Rockefeller acceptance package by Fedex today!

Congrats!!

I also applied to Rockefeller but haven't heard anything yet. I wish they can just tell me ..be it good or bad news...:( Did you get an interview from them before they sent you the package?

Edited by psychomeatball

All of you have excellent stats...makes me feel like my chance of acceptance is terribly low.

Ok..so here are my embarrassing stats:

College: University of Kansas (B.S.)

GPA: 3.94 major in Genetics and minor in Japanese (Graduated with highest distinction and departmental honors)

Grad school: University of Kansas Medical Center (M.S.)

GPA: 3.98 in Nutrition ( I finished the 2 year program in 1 year , but it's non-thesis)

GRE: 740Q/ 440V / 41% Writing

No GRE subject test

Research experiences: I participated in a honor research project. It involved conducting independent research on mapping a canal gene in C. elegans. I wrote a thesis and presented the project to the honors committee.

For my Master's program, I participated in a nutritional immunological research which involved developing an assay to test the immune responses of patients who have been receiving parenteral nutrition for an extended period of time. No thesis , but wrote a proposal and description of my research. Also defended it in front of the committee.

Working experiences: Been teaching throughout college and graduate school as teaching assistant. Worked as a research assistant in grad school. After graduation, I worked at a blood bank as a laboratory technician for 7 months.

LORs: Two of them are from my research mentors. I am sure they are great. The other one is from my work supervisor from the blood bank. It's probably not great..but shouldn't be too bad neither.

And I am an international student.

Schools I applied to:

Columbia (Nutrition)

NYU (Molecular Oncology and Immunology)

Tufts (Sackler Genetics)

Rockefeller

Chicago (Human Genetics)

Haven't heard from any of the schools yet. I know that my stats aren't great..but I was hoping to at least get some interviews.... Waiting is the longest and most painful process... Hopefully I will hear something soon. Anyone can shed some light on my situation?

Edited by psychomeatball

Congrats!!

I also applied to Rockefeller but haven't heard anything yet. I wish they can just tell me ..be it good or bad news...:( Did you get an interview from them before they sent you the package?

No, they do not do interviews.

We applied to several of the same schools. I still haven't heard anything from the MA schools (Tufts, UMass, BU, Harvard) and I don't know if anyone has yet. Nothing like silence from 6 out of 9 schools. I am sure you will get interviews :)

I know UMASS has at least sent some of the interview e-mails out. With my apps, however, there's still no word from BU or Tufts Sackler.

I know UMASS has at least sent some of the interview e-mails out. With my apps, however, there's still no word from BU or Tufts Sackler.

Yea I'm kinda bummed that I haven't heard from anywhere, but I would imagine most have to interview thru february, and all the stellar people obviously get interviews first. I'm just hoping I make a few school's later interviews and manage to get in...I'm in Michigan at the moment and have always wanted to go to the east coast, I'll be so upset if I don't get into any of them :(.

Yea I'm kinda bummed that I haven't heard from anywhere, but I would imagine most have to interview thru february, and all the stellar people obviously get interviews first. I'm just hoping I make a few school's later interviews and manage to get in...I'm in Michigan at the moment and have always wanted to go to the east coast, I'll be so upset if I don't get into any of them :(.

I've only received two rejections. Haven't heard from the rest, which for neuro programs might be the kiss of death. :( Hang in there, it's a difficult year to apply.

I just got a call from Harvard Medical School a few minutes ago that I was admitted to their BBS program!!! Anyone still waiting for Harvard BBS, have your phone ready!

Edited by MarA

I just got a call from Harvard Medical School a few minutes ago that I was admitted to their BBS program!!! Anyone still waiting for Harvard BBS, have your phone ready!

Congrats!!! BBS is a terrific place to do research! I know some ppl there and they r all telents and hard-core!