Should I even bother?

Asko

Hi guys!! So I'm looking into a career switch into slp. I'm currently in market research and have a degree in economics with a gpa of 3.58 with final 60 hours as a 4.0. I'm tired of the business world and wanted to get into a career that actually was beneficial to society so I came across speech language pathology. After a lot of research I feel like this is something that I would love to do but I'm afraid that with no slp background my chances of getting into a graduate program are slim to none. I'm planning on enrolling in a post bac program in order to complete all the required pre req courses. With an Econ background, do I even stand a chance in getting into a slp grad program?

7 hours ago, Asko said:

Hi guys!! So I'm looking into a career switch into slp. I'm currently in market research and have a degree in economics with a gpa of 3.58 with final 60 hours as a 4.0. I'm tired of the business world and wanted to get into a career that actually was beneficial to society so I came across speech language pathology. After a lot of research I feel like this is something that I would love to do but I'm afraid that with no slp background my chances of getting into a graduate program are slim to none. I'm planning on enrolling in a post bac program in order to complete all the required pre req courses. With an Econ background, do I even stand a chance in getting into a slp grad program?

You can definitely do it!

I would advise getting some experience in an educational or health care setting (depending on what you're more interested in). Even just volunteering in any capacity will be helpful to your application (both in your SOP and making your resume more relevant). Definitely find a way to get some observation hours with SLP's in various settings. Also, have you looked into 3-year leveling programs? You typically don't need any pre-reqs for these (although some require 1 or 2 to prove your interest in the field). 

I've been looking at faculty pages on lots of Univ websites and I've seen professors in SLP that started with an undergrad in anthropology, history, french, etc. I think the analytical skills from an Econ degree would be great PLUS you'll be able to get a great Math GRE. 

Being passionate about the field can override any differences of background you have in your former degree.  I think a lot of programs care more about why you are interested and what you have done to show them you know why you are pursuing it.

In a lot of ways someone coming from a different background has a unique ability to explain why they want to do this and are sometimes more able to express their passion for the field because they know how amazing it is compared to whatever background they are moving away from.  

Good luck!

11 hours ago, Asko said:

You will be fine!! Go for it!

When I read your post, I just had to reply because I was in the same boat as you 3 years ago. I was burnt out working in a corporate office job that I was good at, but I wanted to do something more fulfilling. Like you I stumbled upon SLP in my research and I was hooked. I encourage you to go for it if it is a newfound passion!

Of course it would be great if we can just get by on passion alone, but the reality is that a career change in itself is challenging work that requires meticulous planning. So I'll try you give you some practical advice since I am 3 years into my fateful decision to make the change. First, it would be great if you can connect with SLPs in the field and shadow them and ask a lot of questions. SLP is a wide reaching profession, and it would be beneficial for you to gain insight about what SLPs do in different settings. If you haven't done so already, make a timeline of what it would take for you to be an SLP. You may be tempted to try to rush things on your timeline, but it's best to be careful in this stage of planning because it is a big decision that will take lots of commitment. Be realistic and take into account your current life situation, financials, and family. If you are single, you can certainly afford to focus full steam ahead and perhaps fast-track your timeline. Otherwise, you'll have to include your family in the decision-making process.

For schooling, definitely apply to a postbac program and make the most of it. Connect with teachers, volunteer in research that interests you, build good relationships with your postbac cohort. This is where you build meaningful experiences that will eventually aid you in your grad school applications and set your foundation for grad school. You'll need strong recommendations from teachers, and some research experience would definitely be a plus to add on your resume. Your postbac cohort will be valuable supporters that can aid you through inevitable challenges, so you don't have to face all of them alone. All this being said, it would be very beneficial for you to find a reputable postbac program. This may mean that you be strategic about moving to a city with a good reputation program nearby.

Also there are ASHA general education requirements-- I would look to see if you are able to apply any classes you've taken in your previous stint of college. You may need to take a Biology class if you never took it or your last class was more than 10 years ago. If you have any of these to take, I would do so as soon as possible. This also helps your application to a postbac program.

i did my postbac studies this past year, and I opted to take a year before applying to grad school to build some related experience because it was pretty minimal. My career-shift was too drastic. You may need to take this into account when planning your timeline.

Anyhow, I don't want to bombard you with too much information. Feel free to ask me anything about my process so far. I wish you luck in the decisions you'll be making in the near future!

Absolutely you have a chance. You'll need the post bac courses which help even the field a bit. I would say 1/4 at least of my cohort got a second bachelors/post bac before starting grad school. We have former teachers, nurses, math majors, Spanish majors. And I can't tell them apart from the rest of us who majored in ComD from the start. 

I'm being pessimistic about being accepted into a program since my scenario is worse ?. I've already completed a post bacc program...only to end up with a 3.2 GPA. I haven't taken the GRE but I know I'll study really hard for that (because I NEED to).

But, now knowing my GPA, I'd like to ask you all if you think I'll be accepted anywhere? I have 2 part-time jobs both in schools. I'm an instructional assistant in a special ed. program in the mornings, and an after school teacher in the afternoons (obviously?). I'm going to begin my observation hours by observing the school SLP (who will (fingers crossed?) be one of my future LOR's). I volunteer in a program that pairs me up with a T.B.I survivor and lastly, I'm going abroad to care for/ teach kids English this summer.

I want to do everything I possibly can because I'd hate for my GPA, one portion of the application, to hinder my chances. Which is why I ask you all again, what your thoughts are (opinions/suggestions)? Thanks!?

4 hours ago, Ambularr said:

I'm being pessimistic about being accepted into a program since my scenario is worse ?. I've already completed a post bacc program...only to end up with a 3.2 GPA. I haven't taken the GRE but I know I'll study really hard for that (because I NEED to).

But, now knowing my GPA, I'd like to ask you all if you think I'll be accepted anywhere? I have 2 part-time jobs both in schools. I'm an instructional assistant in a special ed. program in the mornings, and an after school teacher in the afternoons (obviously?). I'm going to begin my observation hours by observing the school SLP (who will (fingers crossed?) be one of my future LOR's). I volunteer in a program that pairs me up with a T.B.I survivor and lastly, I'm going abroad to care for/ teach kids English this summer.

I want to do everything I possibly can because I'd hate for my GPA, one portion of the application, to hinder my chances. Which is why I ask you all again, what your thoughts are (opinions/suggestions)? Thanks!?

Have you though about briefly addressing your GPA in your personal statement? It can be a good way to explain things (as long as you do it in an explanatory no excuses/whining kind of way) 

I've thought about doing that but, I wouldn't know what to explain. I'm hoping there are some schools that don't base students outcomes solely on their GPA.  ?

Edited by Ambularr

• 2 weeks later...

Generally in your personal statement you just address possible reasons that your GPA was not quite as high (e.g.,working full-time, illness, extreme circumstances, etc.). When I did my statement I was told by my university to go about writing it in a way that explained the circumstance/reasoning without actually saying "I had a low GPA." Depending on your circumstance the admission committee may even think yours is pretty good. We don't know these things exactly but definitely address it and highlight what you bring to the table, regardless of what your GPA says.