UChicago 2016

Aequorea

Hey everyone!

I didn't see a UChicago 2016 so I thought I would create one! I will most likely accept the offer for their Biomedical Sciences (Microbiology) Ph.D. Program and wanted to see if there are any future UChicago people here!

Also, is anyone planning on doing graduate housing?

Hi ! Congrats on your admission!

I will also most likely accept the offer from Chicago. I will be in the Physics Ph.D. program, and am already pumped to start my adventure. I have not looked around the housing yet, but am planning to ask the housing to the current grad students when I visit them for the Open House.

Congrats to you as well!

I will be moving from the West Coast so it'll be a little difficult for me to go and find apartments so I was thinking of going the grad housing route. I've heard mixed reviews about it so I'm not too sure if I want to do it :/

UChicago is absolutely beautiful, hopefully the weather will be nice when you go visit! 

Hi all! I will also most likely be joining UChicago this fall! :) I heard graduate housing is really good (at least compared to every other school I've experienced), and am thinking of going that route for my first year as I'll be moving from the East Coast. Everyone says the grad housing is well maintained/regulated and has comparable prices to the rest of the market. Every grad student I've talked to seems to have lived in Hyde Park (i.e. UChicago campus area) for their first year at least until they got to know the city. 

Congrats on your acceptance! I've heard similar things about graduate housing as well so I will most likely be going that route. If you are as well, you should do it early! I've heard from other graduate students that they couldn't get graduate housing because it's "first-come, first-served" and they didn't apply early enough. 

@Aequorea, when do you plan on applying for housing? I haven't officially accepted yet, but figure will probably apply for housing as soon as I do so (i.e. latest April 15). 

• 4 weeks later...

Congrats on your admission! A fellow biomedical sciences person! 

I officially put in my deposit for grad housing, hopefully it goes well..

Also if anyone is wondering, you don't have to be married to live with a SO in grad housing

On 3/30/2016 at 7:48 PM, Aequorea said:

Congrats on your admission! A fellow biomedical sciences person! 

I officially put in my deposit for grad housing, hopefully it goes well..

Also if anyone is wondering, you don't have to be married to live with a SO in grad housing

Cool, I'll also be joining the Biological Sciences department!

Where did you receive information about  putting down a deposit for grad housing? I accepted the offer from Chicago a month ago, but haven't received any official information from the university (aside from emails from my program).

I've all but officially accepted the admission offer at UChicago!

I know it's early, but I've been scouring Trulia, Domu and Craigslist for apartment offerings to get a sense of the market. I'll probably be ready to sign a lease in June/July.

On 2016/4/4 at 11:13 PM, Aequorea said:

@dolfinz I applied through their website (https://rp.uchicago.edu/graduate_housing/) and once you submit the application, it leads to the payment site and you pay $200

I haven't really received any emails either.. I asked my program about grad housing and they sent me the link 

Hi, I also have paid for my application thru electronic transfer days ago, but haven't received their confirmation email.

Have you received their emails? I am wondering how long the process will take. 

@Mingda I paid mine through electronic transfer as well and I got an email pretty much the next day.

I haven't received any emails from them since, but they told me to expect to hear from them a month or so before my intended move-in date. 

17 minutes ago, Aequorea said:

@Mingda I paid mine through electronic transfer as well and I got an email pretty much the next day.

I haven't received any emails from them since, but they told me to expect to hear from them a month or so before my intended move-in date. 

^^ Ditto. Did you request to live in any specific buildings @Aequorea & @Mingda?

Edited by Gvh

4 hours ago, Aequorea said:

I see. I called them yesterday and they said they haven't received the payment since international transfer may need one or two weeks to arrive.

11 hours ago, Aequorea said:

@Gvh I did actually! I asked for the more northern buildings since I'm hoping to get a parking spot!

Me too. I asked for Kimbark Ave since it's looked the least shabby, lol.

Ahh, deposits are paid! This is really happening!

I also went ahead and applied for grad housing as well, just in case. How long ago did y'all apply? Do they follow up with you about your specific building preferences?

@RCtheSS, from what I understand we shouldn't expect to hear back until ~1 month before our requested move-in date...which in my case is a while! Def post here if you hear sooner though, haha.

I've been trying to figure out if there was a deposit... is that just for grad housing? I didn't see anything about a deposit in my acceptance letter or on the website where I submitted my decision, but I just want to be really sure that I have my spot secured!