UChicago 2016

Aequorea

2 minutes ago, Gvh said:

@RCtheSS, from what I understand we shouldn't expect to hear back until ~1 month before our requested move-in date...which in my case is a while! Def post here if you hear sooner though, haha.

I definitely will! I put down August 1 - September 1 as my move-in range, so we'll just wait and see. I'll still be searching for comparable off-campus options as well, but I do like that there are a cluster of apartment buildings near both of the professional schools I'll be attending.

Hey everyone,

I'll be coming to UChicago in the Biological Sciences division.

I'm coming from Toronto, are there any other Canadians? It would be cool to have someone to go through the Visa process with.

@Mingda I applied for graduate housing back in late February when I accepted the offer. After sending the international $200 wire transfer, it took about a week to get confirmation of my application from the program. If you haven't heard back yet, you should hear back very shortly. 

20 minutes ago, pax6pax6 said:

Hey everyone,

I'll be coming to UChicago in the Biological Sciences division.

I'm coming from Toronto, are there any other Canadians? It would be cool to have someone to go through the Visa process with.

@Mingda I applied for graduate housing back in late February when I accepted the offer. After sending the international $200 wire transfer, it took about a week to get confirmation of my application from the program. If you haven't heard back yet, you should hear back very shortly. 

Hi @pax6pax6 I am also Canadian and am going through the visa process (I applied for F1), though I've been in the U.S. for a few years already. I filled out all the forms on the application portal late last week and today I received confirmation that they have all the necessary info and they have forwarded it to the international office. So far it's been pretty straightforward! 

21 minutes ago, Gvh said:

Hi @pax6pax6 I am also Canadian and am going through the visa process (I applied for F1), though I've been in the U.S. for a few years already. I filled out all the forms on the application portal late last week and today I received confirmation that they have all the necessary info and they have forwarded it to the international office. So far it's been pretty straightforward! 

I haven't received any information through my department yet - I was unaware there was an application portal, etc. I was going to continue waiting for a little longer to see if I get any instructions from my department. Good to know its a straightforward process though! 

16 minutes ago, pax6pax6 said:

I haven't received any information through my department yet - I was unaware there was an application portal, etc. I was going to continue waiting for a little longer to see if I get any instructions from my department. Good to know its a straightforward process though! 

The portal I am referring to is simply the page you log into to accept the offer/view your application etc, nothing new. Within a few days of accepting the offer a tab appeared on that page asking to fill out some info to apply for the F1 or J1 (you can chose which is best depending on your situation). I'm not sure if this is division-specific or not but it might be worth shooting your department coordinator an email. Can't hurt!

Edited by Gvh

Also officially accepted Chicago just over a week ago!

Has anyone heard anything good or bad about grad housing in general or certain buildings in particular? Also, do we know how competitive it is?

5 hours ago, embeddedV2 said:

Has anyone heard anything good or bad about grad housing in general or certain buildings in particular? Also, do we know how competitive it is?

I'm not sure how competitive it is - but from talking to a few people on here and some current students I met while visiting for my interviews, I heard effectively unanimously good reviews with respect to location and the buildings themselves. Most people I spoke to, however, said that finding a perfectly nice place through resources like the Marketplace was an equally good idea, and might be a little cheaper.

7 hours ago, pax6pax6 said:

I'm not sure how competitive it is - but from talking to a few people on here and some current students I met while visiting for my interviews, I heard effectively unanimously good reviews with respect to location and the buildings themselves. Most people I spoke to, however, said that finding a perfectly nice place through resources like the Marketplace was an equally good idea, and might be a little cheaper.

Thanks, that's reassuring! :) My only problem is that I won't be able to fly over to check places out, so grad accommodation might indeed be my safest option given that it's guaranteed to live up to at least some standards. 

16 hours ago, embeddedV2 said:

I "attended" the grad student housing webinar earlier this week and the people giving the presentation stressed it was "extremely competitive" and that we should also keep our eye open for other options :/ So yeah I don't know how true that is or if they are just covering their basis but...there you have it!

I've heard from multiple sources that the university has sold a number of buildings over the last few years. That's also the justification they gave for me for the ghost buildings on their website (the FAQ refers to 10-12 pet-friendly buildings, whereas there are now only a few). So that might explain the "extreme competition." I'm hoping to visit in July and find an apartment at that time, but otherwise gradhousing would be a good back-up plan (though I now realize the possibility that I might never get an offer).

By the way, new admit here too. Anthropology ^_^

1 hour ago, Gvh said:

I "attended" the grad student housing webinar earlier this week and the people giving the presentation stressed it was "extremely competitive" and that we should also keep our eye open for other options :/ So yeah I don't know how true that is or if they are just covering their basis but...there you have it!

Was there any other useful info from the webinar? Did you get to see the actual rooms? I thought it was odd none of the buildings on the website had photos of the rooms themselves, but rather just generic floor plans

Eh, I mean I didn't really learn anything I didn't know from reading the website. I guess I learned that it was very competitive! Ha. No pictures of the rooms :/ You can find some pictures by searching them on Google Image but that's about it. I think it's funny that they don't show pics of rooms but they ALWAYS show pictures of the laundry rooms and bike storage facilities. Clearly very important to know what those look like...

RE: The competitveness/availability of grad housing at UChicago. As of last year, almost everyone who applied got a room, although it may not have been their first choice. However, the University just sold/is in the process of selling a significant majority of the buildings they own, so a lot of what was UChicago grad housing will now be privately owned. 

As a result, there will be a lot more Grad students looking for private housing this fall (both incoming and returning). While my experience with Grad housing has been good, I highly recommend that everyone be aware of what other options there are so that if they don't get into grad housing they aren't caught unawares and with little time to make alternative arrangements. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! I've accepted at UChicago, for a PhD at the SALC (South Asian Languages and Civilizations). I've applied for grad housing as well, but I've been told by friends there that a shared apartment in Hyde Park might be much cheaper and nicer. I've been looking around and there're a lot of great-looking places - is anyone planning to go this route who might be interested in searching for and sharing an apartment? I'm from India, female and generally relaxed and non-intrusive.

Congrats to everyone! I'll be heading to Hyde Park around the start of July for a PhD (Chemistry) -- been scoping out Marketplace and trying to tie something down. Any French/German speakers who'd be interested in looking for a place ? :)

• 2 weeks later...

I've just submitted a request to withdraw my grad housing application, so I hope that somehow helps one of y'all in need! I managed to find an apartment listed on the Marketplace that's right across the street from the professional school buildings. 

Has anyone looking into the university's credit union, Maroon Financial? I currently bank with BoA, but I may open a credit card with Maroon.

https://www.maroonfinancial.org/home.htm

3 hours ago, RCtheSS said:

I've just submitted a request to withdraw my grad housing application, so I hope that somehow helps one of y'all in need! I managed to find an apartment listed on the Marketplace that's right across the street from the professional school buildings. 

Has anyone looking into the university's credit union, Maroon Financial? I currently bank with BoA, but I may open a credit card with Maroon.

https://www.maroonfinancial.org/home.htm

I'm about to withdraw my housing application too -- also found a better option on the Marketplace!

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, all! I too applied for graduate housing for Fall 2016. I requested to move in between July 18th-August 31st. It's now less than 30-45 days before July 18th. Does anyone know/think this is a plausible move in date? I'm worried it might be too early of a request, but I'm moving from NY with my husband, so we're worried about finding work and settling in before my semester begins.

• 1 month later...