Should I contact the admissions committee to add some late-breaking info to my application?

tesser7

Hi - I have an application in for a particular school for the Spring semester and am eagerly awaiting news. However, I'm currently taking 2 classes in the program at this school as a non-matriculant, but my application had to be in before my midterm grades (or my grades for any assignments for these classes) came in. I'm wondering now if it would be appropriate or helpful to email the admissions committee letting them know that I got A's on both of my midterms at their school? I feel like it would definitely help my case and would give them a glimpse into how I would do if admitted, but I don't want to contact them about this if it is inappropriate to do so.

Thoughts? Advice on whether to do so, and how?

Unless you have final grades in a class to report, I don't think that you should contact the admissions committee. It is great that you got A's on your midterms, but that is a small detail in the overall picture of your application, and contacting them to tell them about it might make you seem desperate.

Hi - I have an application in for a particular school for the Spring semester and am eagerly awaiting news. However, I'm currently taking 2 classes in the program at this school as a non-matriculant, but my application had to be in before my midterm grades (or my grades for any assignments for these classes) came in. I'm wondering now if it would be appropriate or helpful to email the admissions committee letting them know that I got A's on both of my midterms at their school? I feel like it would definitely help my case and would give them a glimpse into how I would do if admitted, but I don't want to contact them about this if it is inappropriate to do so.

Thoughts? Advice on whether to do so, and how?

I wouldn't contact them since its not a final grade. Also, if its at the school you're already attending, is it possible they could come across this information on their own when investigating your profile there?

I wouldn't contact them since its not a final grade. Also, if its at the school you're already attending, is it possible they could come across this information on their own when investigating your profile there?

Agreed. Presumably the adcom will find out without you telling them. FWIW, I wouldn't bother reporting anything other than a final grade. After all, we all know students who had great grades at the midterm and then did poorly on the final (not saying that you would but just trying to give some context as to why adcoms may not care much about the midterm grades).

• 3 weeks later...

I disagree. I was in the same situation this year, and I'm applying for spring term 2010. I went to the prospective student day at BU, where it was recommended that I send an update with my midterm grades, and I did.

I'll let you know if I get in. I'm waiting for my acceptance letter right now. I'm told the letters were mailed on Monday.

I would say it won't hurt to let them know. I have decided to take some classes next semester so I e-mailed some schools. All they said they would do is put it in my file, so worst case its in your file and it gets ignored.

Don't contact them, that would be foolish. They obviously noticed that you are attending their institution, and are most likely expecting to use the outcome of those grades as criteria for your admission.

If they don't accept you, than maybe you should give them a ring.

Edited by chemmastr