Georgetown MSFS 2016 - Discuss & Debate

Just now, MFP413 said:

Apologies if this has been asked already, but I was wondering if anyone's application status on the online portal has said anything except "submitted?"

I've checked a few places on the platform (the landing page, the check list) and it confirms that the Admissions office has received my full application, but no updates on if it is being reviewed. Not sure if SFS does this or not?

Thanks in advance, all!

I'm pretty sure that it just stays as "Submitted" and does not adjust to indicate that the application is under review. Like everyone else has said, mine also simply states that it has been submitted. I'm confident they are all under review right now. I really feel like they are going to release decisions tomorrow or Friday, but that's just a hunch. 

Edited by 6speed!

I’m done waiting for SFS. It’s too late now, even if I receive an offer with half funding. It seems over-hyped on reflection: half funding at best, poor communication and slow application decisions, no option of accommodation, inexplicably high fees relative to other premium programs (even in DC). It may be marginally the best program, but the downsides mean that the difference to the next best alternatives isn't justifiable.    

Edited by Maximum Cadence

3 hours ago, Maximum Cadence said:

I’m done waiting for SFS. It’s too late now, even if I receive an offer with half funding. It seems over-hyped on reflection: half funding at best, poor communication and slow application decisions, no option of accommodation, inexplicably high fees relative to other premium programs (even in DC). It may be marginally the best program, but the downsides mean that the difference to the next best alternatives isn't justifiable.    

I wish they had an admissions blog like the other schools and were a bit more transparent throughout the application process, especially while the applications are under review. I have received quick, helpful responses from the admissions department every time I've contacted them, however. The decisions, while slower than the other IR schools, aren't so late for that to affect my decision making. The funding situation is unfortunate for sure, as half funding still leaves an incredibly expensive program. What other programs did you apply to and where are you thinking you're going to choose at this point, with SFS off the table? 

Just now, Maximum Cadence said:

Hi 6speed!,

GWU, SAIS, JIGA and Oxford. JIGA could be an option for financial reasons. Aside from that, my head says GWU or SAIS. My heart says Oxford.

Hope you get the offer you’re hoping for!

Many thanks! You certainly have some wonderful schools to choose from, even if you decide to go with your head and not your heart. Best of luck to you wherever you decide to attend!

42 minutes ago, coffeeandtravel said:

Is today the day?

Based on previous years, I would say yes, but  the whole DC metro system was closed yesterday and I know a lot of places closed for the day in response.  So it might be pushed back a day or so. :( 

Just now, Solio said:

Based on previous years, I would say yes, but  the whole DC metro system was closed yesterday and I know a lot of places closed for the day in response.  So it might be pushed back a day or so. :( 

That's what I'm thinking. I suppose it all depends on how close they were at the time of the closure. 

2 minutes ago, Ejc5ys said:

Hopefully, since Georgetown is nowhere close to any metro station, we will be in luck and there will be no delay!

I live in DC and while the commute sucked yesterday, offices were still open, as was Georgetown as I have colleagues that study there. 

I applied to the public policy school, not SFS, but I know for a fact their admissions office was open as usual yesterday. (And as others have noted, DC offices were by and large open/running normally yesterday despite Metro's closing)

1 minute ago, mapiau said:

Waitlisted too. Tough, but fair!

I was kind of expecting a waitlist, as I don't have as much work experience in my selected field of study (the average is 4+ years). I'm not super disappointed but I'll stay on the waitlist to see how it plays out. Better than being rejected I guess. Anyone know how many people on average are taken off the waitlist each year? I'm sure it varies.