Harvard Graduate School Student Parents

GAPeachyKeen

I'm starting this thread to connect with past, present, and future students of any of Harvard's graduate programs who are parents. I'm hoping that this thread can become a resource for general advice, housing tips, child care recommendations, enrolling in local public schools, time management, etc. 

14 minutes ago, GAPeachyKeen said:

I'm starting this thread to connect with past, present, and future students of any of Harvard's graduate programs who are parents. I'm hoping that this thread can become a resource for general advice, housing tips, child care recommendations, enrolling in local public schools, time management, etc. 

Thank you for starting this thread. I'm still waiting for the financial aid package before making my decision. But if I do come, I'll be coming with my family. I'm sure this thread will be very useful.

3 hours ago, NourM said:

Thank you for starting this thread. I'm still waiting for the financial aid package before making my decision. But if I do come, I'll be coming with my family. I'm sure this thread will be very useful.

Welcome! I too am awaiting  the financial aid package before finalizing my decision, but I'd like to be prepared in the event that the results are favorable. I'll be connecting with a parent who's currently at the Business school and I will share her thoughts here soon. 

Thanks for starting this thread.  I was accepted to the EPM program as well and I am anxiously awaiting financial aid information (but, I intend to attend regardless).  I will be heading to MA with my boyfriend and son.  Looking forward to connecting with other student-parents.

Hello, I deferred applying until later next year for Fall 17 but I will be attending if accepted with my sons. I have friends who attended Harvard with kids and received a lot of advice from them.

Glad someone started this thread. If I decide to attend HGSE this year I shall be bringing along my son who is 4. It would definitely be helpful to connect with all parents here. 

9 hours ago, jortin10 said:

Hello, I deferred applying until later next year for Fall 17 but I will be attending if accepted with my sons. I have friends who attended Harvard with kids and received a lot of advice from them.

What was the age-range of their children? Any advice on childcare, general expenses, etc? 

12 hours ago, GAPeachyKeen said:

What was the age-range of their children? Any advice on childcare, general expenses, etc? 

One friend had a teenage son, another had a daughter an elementary, and the other a toddler. I will ask them about childcare and schooling.

I've had an opportunity to chat with several current students at Harvard U who are parents. I've included some of their recommendations below:

• Cities near Cambridge that are cheaper and have good schools
    • Arlington, MA (<20 mins away)
    • Somerville, MA (<15 mins away)
    • Watertown, MA ( <20 mins away)
  • Affordable Childcare options
    • Daycare cooperatives like Bigelow Cooperative Daycare Center
    • Playgroup coops 
  • Best campus-affiliated apartments for families
    • Peabody Terrace
    • Botanic Gardens 

Sorry that this list is so short. I'll continue to send updates as I learn more. 

I am not a parent, but work in Cambridge and have many colleagues who have young families. Can confirm all those cities are great.  I also live in North Cambridge, which is cheaper than Harvard Square Cambridge, bikeable, quiet, and has some great parks and open spaces.  

I have known several folks who do the commute from Jamaica Plain, a neighborhood quite popular for young families -- it's about a 45-minute ride on the train with a transfer at Downtown Crossing.  I have also heard many folks highly praise Peabody Terrace for their great daycare.

I would add Shaler Lane, Holden Green, and Soldiers Field Park to the list of family-friendly Harvard apartments. I wouldn't say any of the Harvard apartments are NOT family friendly -- just that these spaces are known to have lots of families in them.

Edited by nicolemae

I was watching this video touring the HGSE library, and just thought it was cool that there are "parent rooms" in the library where you can bring your child and there is a little bean bag/kid library area next to a study space in a private room for parents!