Epidemiology Programs Canada: Fall 2016

Epi16

4 hours ago, And1 said:

Oh man I'm in the same situation! I also got accepted to U of T epi, but will be heading to UW instead for their MSc in Public Health. I also obtained a lot of guaranteed funding so that was one big factor, and I also want to open my doors for possibly working in academia. I'm still gearing my MSc degree towards epidemiology by taking multiple epi and biostats courses (and my supervisor is an epidemiologist), but I suppose if I don't end up liking epi too much I can always switch around my electives :)

Anyways, I do understand your position, since MPH epi at U of T is always the hot topic around this forum and many students want to get in. But shows that you have a lot of research/academic potential considering that acceptance rate to that program is slightly under 10%! You should be proud :) Also, I think the end result will be the same, and I'm sure you'll be successful whichever school/program you attend! Good luck 

Congratulation on your acceptances too!! Thanks so much, that actually makes me feel a lot better :) Toronto is still the dream, but I'm going to try do my thesis at Western as a team member on a project with partners in Toronto. Hopefully I can make some good connections and head there after I graduate! Good luck with your MSc :) 

39 minutes ago, Epi16 said:

Congratulation on your acceptances too!! Thanks so much, that actually makes me feel a lot better :) Toronto is still the dream, but I'm going to try do my thesis at Western as a team member on a project with partners in Toronto. Hopefully I can make some good connections and head there after I graduate! Good luck with your MSc :) 

Yes, I also want to work in the Toronto area after my MSc as well :) I'm also hoping to do my PhD in epidemiology, and this time DLSPH at U of T will be my target (since they'll actually providing full funding). You could always keep that PhD option open too, although the big decision will be to whether take some time off and work or go straight to a PhD. There really isn't a right answer to that! 

I just received my unofficial acceptance for UofT-epi a few days ago. Can anyone comment on the program? I already accepted McGill's offer since they gave me until mid March to confirm, and I also live in Montreal so it was a top choice. However, so was Toronto. 

Edited by clhMPH

2 hours ago, clhMPH said:

I just received my unofficial acceptance for UofT-epi a few days ago. Can anyone comment on the program? I already accepted McGill's offer since they gave me until mid March to confirm, and I also live in Montreal so it was a top choice. However, so was Toronto. 

Hey! Congratulations on both your acceptances. I also applied to U of T but am waiting and anxious as it is one of my top choices. My older sister recently graduated from U of T for Epi and she really enjoyed it! She mentioned that the program is really in-depth and the students get to learn a lot. She told me that it can be challenging to student who don't have a strong background in math (as I am) but there are a lot of resources available for the students to seek out (i.e. tutors, resources from previous students etc). The professors are really knowledgeable and are available to help out as well. As well, one reason why I am really leaning towards Epi at U of T is the choice of electives that you can choose and the fact that U of T is in the heart of Toronto with so many different government institutions and hospitals that you can get your foot in for the practicum position. She did her practicum placement at Public Health Ontario (and it was a paid position too) and volunteered at several organizations such as Princess Margaret where she analyzed a program and its effectiveness in young children. Congrats again! I am still waiting to hear but trying to stay positive :) 

On 4/21/2016 at 7:45 PM, clhMPH said:

Theres a lot of info in previous years forums talking about them both (the canadian MPH thread from 2013 if i remember correctly has a good discussion). From what I understand UofT has larger class sizes than most of the other schools. McGill tends to be more math based than UofT. I'm not sure if McGill has something similar but the webinar QandA thats coming up should be helpful, and might help you weigh your options!

On April 25, 2016 at 11:01 AM, rapini said:

Theres a lot of info in previous years forums talking about them both (the canadian MPH thread from 2013 if i remember correctly has a good discussion). From what I understand UofT has larger class sizes than most of the other schools. McGill tends to be more math based than UofT. I'm not sure if McGill has something similar but the webinar QandA thats coming up should be helpful, and might help you weigh your options!

The webinar was extremely helpful! I was actually set on McGill, but now I'm not so sure anymore...I contacted McGill and they won't be doing a webinar, but will be sending out more detailed information in June. Im hoping this is before UofT sends the official acceptance letter so that I have time to decide.

Yes, McGill does have a smaller program size, and small classes, which could also be beneficial for getting to know faculty and peers compared to UofT.

However, after tuning in to the webinar, it really seems like UofT emphasizes networking and equips students with the best skills for working, which is a huge plus for me. I can't decide!!

Edited by clhMPH

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...