For those who got in~ Any tips on how to get in?

Hi everyone! 

I just graduated May 2015 from a school in the SF Bay Area and am greatly anticipating the results of my second try of getting into grad school. 

I'm mentally preparing myself to reapply next year (even though I applied to 15+ schools). 

Any tips, advice or help would be greatly appreciated!!

Only got one interview from SFSU and a handful of rejections. 

I think most of us would need more info on your background in order to give advice on how to get into a grad program.  Stats, previous experience, undergrad experience, letters of rec quality and from whom, your SOP quality (as judged by impartial and qualified others) and the list goes on.  I know you're anxious about SF, but you interviewed, so I see that as a positive.  I would honestly stay away from this site until you receive your answer, if you can.  It's out of your hands for this cycle - hopefully you will receive some good news and won't need our advice!  ?

You already submitted your applications and even landed an interview (congrats!).  I wouldn't think about reapplying too soon when you're still waiting for replies.  Relax and wait for the schools to respond back before considering reapplying.  As @Jolie717 said, there isn't enough information about your background to properly know where to start in terms of giving advice, but it sounds like you're doing the right thing if SFSU shows interest in you.  Hopefully you'll get into a program somewhere!

First, don't give up on this year. It's not over yet! 

But, I know the feeling. I'm a second year applicant. I got into two schools so far this year, but last year I was waitlisted or rejected from all 12 schools. I can't speak for you, but I can tell you how I handled it. First, I emailed the schools I was wailisted at and asked how I could improve my application. Most importantly though, I did some research (ASHA EdFind is your friend). I have good GRE scores and last 60 GPA, but low overall GPA due to some personal crap I was dealing with earlier in my undergrad. So, I emailed probably 60 schools back in May to find schools that only look at last 60 GPA, or schools who review every applicant holistically, rather than just by GPA cutoffs. It took forever, and I had to expand the geographical locations I was willing to live in, but in the end I got a bunch of really honest responses and it helped me whittle down my list. Beyond that, I took another prerequisite course through USU that my undergrad didn't offer, and I became an English tutor for adult immigrants. I also kept up with other volunteer activities even if they didn't have to do with SLP, like the local astronomical society, because I enjoyed them and figured they showed a little more about who I am as a person. I also made sure to get some fresh eyes to look at my SOP and see where that could be improved.

I think the key is the play the numbers game: what are my stats, what schools fit them, and how many applicants am I up against? Of course you can still apply to reach schools; I did. But, I think if I hadn't done my research to see what schools would be a good fit for me and showed my continued language interest by tutoring, I never would have gotten in. That being said, I'm hoping you have get some good news from SFSU and don't have to worry about doing all of this again  :)

Edited by cosmicmorgan

I think it depends on what experience you have and what your other school stats are. You got an interview which is great so don't give up.

I had average scores, but 49.5 hours of clinical work, a scholarship and two work experiences one was in a speech clinic. So I think the biggest thing if you don't get in is get as much experience as you can

Just piggybacking off of what others have said, I think one's odds are greatly improved by writing a strong statement of purpose. Schools want to see that you've done your homework and are applying to their school in particular. This means going through faculty pages and citing research that you would be interested in / projects that excite you, including any language used in a department's mission statement, etc., and tying these aspects of the program to your goals within the field. 

15+ programs seem like quite a lot. I know it's a numbers game, but I think that finding >8 programs that you could really see yourself attending, whose interests match yours, and whose stats you fall within (edfind is a great resource for this) is a better option. It's hard to personalize so many applications, and having a generalized 'meh' application won't really help. I'm absolutely not saying this is what you did, but after speaking to my professors this is a common mistake that people make.

But with that said, all of your results haven't come in yet, so there is still hope! :) I wish you the best of luck.

Edited by flapjackal

You've received some great responses here already, but I'll put in my 2 cents as well for you.  For me, I made sure I had at least the GPA and GRE scores that the schools I was applying to said were the averages of the applicants they accepted in recent years.  If I didn't get in, it wouldn't be due to my scores.  Have multiple people whose opinions you value proofread your essay.  You don't have to make all the changes, just the ones you like.  Suit your essay to the general desires of the schools to which you are applying.  Many schools mentioned diversity, leadership, and integrity in their mission statements and other promotional materials.  So, my personal statement was focused on how I fit their goals and ideals.  Also... try to sound confident, but not arrogant (this is why you want the peer proofreads).