Funding for study in UK

SunshineLolipops

Does anyone know of PhD funding resources for study in the UK beyond what individual universities offer?  I know that the New York Saint Andrews Society helps to fund study in Scotland, but beyond that and Fulbright/Carnegie/Rhodes scholarships, I'm not aware of much. 

That's because for Internationals there isn't much. There are those fellowships, a few other ones in that caliber (Marshall etc.) and then there's being lucky in terms of negotiating politics. I have heard that if you do a two year program, they won't offer much for year one, but if you do well and people like you, they'll find a way to establish residency for you and therefore be able to offer you partial or full scholarships for the second year.

If you're looking to go abroad for cheap quality education, I cannot recommend German schools and programs highly enough. 

It's quite difficult to get funding for your PhD in the UK but most schools offer 2/3 funded places per year. Also, look at the ESRC http://www.esrc.ac.uk/funding/funding-opportunities/research-grants/. I know at least a couple of history students who got their project funded through the ESRC (some international). I wouldn't recommend doing a PhD in the UK without funding, but I know some who do, and tuition fee is not that high (4,000 pound per year) so it can be doable if you find a good job on the side (preferably at the university you want to do your PhD at) 

Thanks for the ESRC info @elinen, and @mvlchicago some students I know have been offered to start with a research masters that has the potential to turn into a PhD.  I did a MLitt at Glasgow with the rest of my GI Bill, so I'm trying to see if I qualify for a Carnegie.  For the most part it seems that a few schools will offer their own forms of funding, but that for the most part the financial resources go to residents of commonwealth countries and Europe.  In my experience a POI can be really helpful in navigating funding, but, like grant writing, that is a skill that will vary greatly from advisor to advisor.

• 3 weeks later...

I think SunshineLolipops is referencing a Carnegie-Caledonian PhD Scholarship, which unless the committee has relaxed requirements I don't see how they'd qualify for it.

You must have graduated from a Scottish college/university as an undergraduate and any commencement of any research degree also makes you ineligible.

http://www.carnegie-trust.org/schemes/postgraduate-schemes/carnegie-caledonian-scholarships.html#eligibility

There is very little funding available for History PhDs in the U.K., especially for international students. If funding is vital for you, then I would recommend also applying to countries where more is available, e.g. the U.S.

On 4/11/2016 at 0:43 AM, xypathos said:

You must have graduated from a Scottish college/university as an undergraduate and any commencement of any research degree also makes you ineligible.

I'm curious if a taught masters is covered by this, or if it slides under the radar under the weird Scottish system.  Also, Edinburgh seems to offer some of the better funding opportunities for international students.

Edited by SunshineLolipops

On 17/3/2016 at 5:25 PM, elinen said:

It's quite difficult to get funding for your PhD in the UK but most schools offer 2/3 funded places per year. Also, look at the ESRC http://www.esrc.ac.uk/funding/funding-opportunities/research-grants/. I know at least a couple of history students who got their project funded through the ESRC (some international). I wouldn't recommend doing a PhD in the UK without funding, but I know some who do, and tuition fee is not that high (4,000 pound per year) so it can be doable if you find a good job on the side (preferably at the university you want to do your PhD at) 

£4,000 is for Home/EU students, internationals pay at least £15,000... :(

7 minutes ago, Cpt Jo said:

£4,000 is for Home/EU students, internationals pay at least £15,000... :(

Of course, you're right.. I keep forgetting. It's a huge difference! 

Edited by elinen

On 17/3/2016 at 3:38 PM, SunshineLolipops said:

Does anyone know of PhD funding resources for study in the UK beyond what individual universities offer?  I know that the New York Saint Andrews Society helps to fund study in Scotland, but beyond that and Fulbright/Carnegie/Rhodes scholarships, I'm not aware of much. 

In History, it's grim outside Oxbridge. If your thesis has an important international/economics component, then you can try LSE as they don't base their funding on nationality.

http://www.lse.ac.uk/intranet/students/moneyMatters/financialSupport/ScholarshipsLSE/PhDApp/LSEPhDStudentships.aspx

Edited by Cpt Jo

They - the famous 'they' - are bringing out Masters loans from 30 June this year and PhD loans next year.

I am international, but local - I've lived in Switzerland for a very long time - but am relocating back to the UK for doctoral studies. I'm entitled to apply for the loans, but I can't find any funding, apart from this loan, for a History PhD for internationals.

Edited by JennyJuno