Accepted at SUNY Albany for MSW! A few questions...

Cwhaticando

Hi! I have just accepted my offer of admission to the 2-year MSW program at SUNY Albany for Fall 2016. I haven't heard too much from the school and so I was hoping this might be a good place to get some questions answered, and just to hear about anyone's experience with Albany's MSW program.

So, I'm wondering about a few things:

- How accessible are advisors? Anyone have recommendations of how to get a good advisor?

- How big is the MSW program in general, and how big are classes? Is there a sense of community? Do you feel like you come to know students and professors well?

- I'm most curious about when I'll get to choose my classes and how flexible the class schedule is, since I'll be commuting from about an hour away. I have heard that Albany offers blended and online courses, and weekend courses. Are those open to the 2-year students?

- Do I have a say in my first placement? It sounds like I'll have a say in location, but what about area of SW? What do placements look like for those interested in MACRO?

Thank you!!

Most of these questions may be better answered by admissions staff. You can ask program staff to put you in touch with current students who would be open to speaking with newly admitted students.

Congratulations!

Thanks, RCtheSS! Yes, I have already contacted some current and past students but I thought posting online couldn't hurt. I'd just like to hear as much as possible about UAlbany in general before going. I'm coming from a small lib arts college where I've been spoiled by caring and accessible professors/advisors, and I'm wondering how different the big university experience will be.

Also, for anyone reading, my question about registration has already been answered--I just got an email from Albany yesterday after making the post. I guess I was a little impatient... :rolleyes:

On 3/24/2016 at 9:43 AM, Cwhaticando said:

Hi! I have just accepted my offer of admission to the 2-year MSW program at SUNY Albany for Fall 2016. I haven't heard too much from the school and so I was hoping this might be a good place to get some questions answered, and just to hear about anyone's experience with Albany's MSW program.

- How accessible are advisors? Anyone have recommendations of how to get a good advisor?

- How big is the MSW program in general, and how big are classes? Is there a sense of community? Do you feel like you come to know students and professors well?

- I'm most curious about when I'll get to choose my classes and how flexible the class schedule is, since I'll be commuting from about an hour away. I have heard that Albany offers blended and online courses, and weekend courses. Are those open to the 2-year students?

- Do I have a say in my first placement? It sounds like I'll have a say in location, but what about area of SW? What do placements look like for those interested in MACRO?

Thank you!!

Hey! Congrats! I was just accepted here as well. I am waiting for any financial aid info before making a decision 

• 1 year later...
On 3/24/2016 at 9:43 AM, Cwhaticando said:

Thank you!!

Hey everyone! I know this is a post from last year's season, but I was accepted at SUNY Albany for Fall 2017. It would be great if you can speak about your experience (if you decided to go). I am considering different offers and programs and have sooooooooo many questions!