Introduction to POI at a conference

cheesecafe

Just wondering what you all think about introducing yourself to a POI at an academic conference, several months before program applications actually open. Is this unheard of? Too early? Too desperate? 

In my situation, I am applying to doctoral programs in clinical psychology this upcoming fall and noticed that a professor whose I've been following is presenting at a conference I am attending in a couple of weeks. I would love to introduce myself and get on their radar, but I also do not want to cross any boundaries if this is not common practice. Let me know what you all think.  

This is exactly what you want to do! Just be very professional, come up with a few good questions about their poster/presentation, tell them you're interested in their work and ask if they're accepting students. I'm planning to attend at least one conference this year specifically for this purpose. It gets you on their radar, and if you get an interview, you'll be less nervous because you've met them already :) Good luck!

I would totally do it! I actually spoke to someone two years before applying that I was interested in at the time, and he encouraged me to apply (even though I only just graduated from second year undergrad). That prof didn't find it strange at all.

It's even better to do this sooner, of course. And conferences are for networking, so youre doing the right thing!

Definitely do it! I'm a graduate student because I met my advisor at a conference (and I didn't even know they were a POI when applying). I would suggest to read up on their interests, any information the conference provides on their presentation(s), and think about how those could relate to your interests. This will help you think of possible questions and maybe to lead into ways to mention you are applying and are interested in them. Obviously be professional and nice in your conversation as at least in my field many people know each other. I know that sounds scary but it's also helpful because if that person doesn't know if they could take students yet (it takes time) of can't, they can suggest other people to apply to. 

Feel free to message me if you want to hear more. 

Good luck! 

Met my future advisor at a conference by stroke of fate 7 months before submitting my application! Continued to run into him at several conferences afterwards. Though he wasn't present at my on campus interview ( very busy man), our previous interactions had given him insight into my career aspirations and program match. Plus he already had my personal contact information ( business card and emails), so it made the process a lot easier.  Great Idea!! You Got This!!

On 3/29/2016 at 11:03 PM, Phiner. Determination said:

Met my future advisor at a conference by stroke of fate 7 months before submitting my application! Continued to run into him at several conferences afterwards. Though he wasn't present at my on campus interview ( very busy man), our previous interactions had given him insight into my career aspirations and program match. Plus he already had my personal contact information ( business card and emails), so it made the process a lot easier.  Great Idea!! You Got This!!

Thanks! Your story sounds like the best possible outcome--it's a great reminder that an advisor may not always be someone you anticipate meeting.