Vanderbilt University Fall 2016

taha89

I'm probably going to Vandy this fall. I'm an international student and was accepted in the IGP program.  Anyone else going to Vandy this year, I want to know about housing and life in Nashville. Does the stipend allow for comfortable living? 

Don't wanna hijack the thread, but I will bump it to say that I'm going to Vandy's IGP program this summer/fall too!

I visited Nashville for my interview, but only got a small feel for it. From what I saw, there's a lot of apartment complexes both close and a bit farther out from Vandy, as well as house shares etc in many different parts of the city. The grad students all said the stipend was fairly comfortable to live on, and looking at rent prices that seems to be pretty true!

@Effloresce I checked on craigslist and prices seem high (most one bedroom > 1k). Do you think I should wait until I arrive at Nashville to get better deals? 

Edited by taha89
add more details

On 4/2/2016 at 3:15 PM, taha89 said:

@Effloresce I checked on craigslist and prices seem high (most one bedroom > 1k). Do you think I should wait until I arrive at Nashville to get better deals? 

i'm not sure you'll get any better deals especially if you're looking to live close to campus. most of the grad students said somewhere around 1k is the average for a one bedroom apartment. personally, i'm looking into having roommates to cut rent costs.

On 3/30/2016 at 9:38 PM, Effloresce said:

Don't wanna hijack the thread, but I will bump it to say that I'm going to Vandy's IGP program this summer/fall too!

I visited Nashville for my interview, but only got a small feel for it. From what I saw, there's a lot of apartment complexes both close and a bit farther out from Vandy, as well as house shares etc in many different parts of the city. The grad students all said the stipend was fairly comfortable to live on, and looking at rent prices that seems to be pretty true!

13 hours ago, Effloresce said:

i'm not sure you'll get any better deals especially if you're looking to live close to campus. most of the grad students said somewhere around 1k is the average for a one bedroom apartment. personally, i'm looking into having roommates to cut rent costs.

How do you look for roommates? through this forum or something else?

On 4/5/2016 at 2:25 AM, taha89 said:

How do you look for roommates? through this forum or something else?

if you search for vanderbilt classifieds on google, there's a page where current students/people in the area are listing potential houses/apartments for rent. that's what i've been following. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys. Also was accepted into the IGP and already found housing. I lived in Nashville for a summer around two years ago, so slightly familiar with the area. Recently visited to look at apartments. I gathered a ton of information, so if you need help figuring out some options, please let me know!

Hi, I'm an international female student from India starting my graduate studies (GPED) at Vandy this Fall. Anyone else coming for the GPED? Also, are there any other Indian students starting their graduate studies this fall?
I have only just started my search for housing and it seems to be quite expensive in Nashville as compared to other cities. 

On 4/22/2016 at 7:50 PM, MCkay2020 said:

Hey guys. Also was accepted into the IGP and already found housing. I lived in Nashville for a summer around two years ago, so slightly familiar with the area. Recently visited to look at apartments. I gathered a ton of information, so if you need help figuring out some options, please let me know!

I would appreciate it if you could share some information on housing here. I don't think I will be able to get a license and a car within the initial few months (or even the whole duration of the course) and was planning to walk/take the bus/get a bicycle. The rents seem to be very high near the university. Would you know of any good places which are not too far from the university and are within the $500-700 range per person (or lesser, of course)?

On 4/8/2016 at 6:36 AM, Levon3 said:

I live in East Nashville (about 15 minutes from Vandy) and pay $325 for my room in an apartment. The stipend is plenty if you look around. 

This sounds really good. Please give out some more details on housing.

Found it on craigslist. Nashville is really pretty small, so you don't have to limit your search to certain neighborhoods. I'd find a place that's affordable, then just Google map it to see how far it is. Keep in mind that traffic can be bad, though. If it takes 20 min via an interstate, it's probably closer to 40 at rush hour. 

22 hours ago, nidhi93 said:

I would appreciate it if you could share some information on housing here. I don't think I will be able to get a license and a car within the initial few months (or even the whole duration of the course) and was planning to walk/take the bus/get a bicycle. The rents seem to be very high near the university. Would you know of any good places which are not too far from the university and are within the $500-700 range per person (or lesser, of course)?

Nashville is getting more expensive. You may be able to look into low-income apartments that are within bicycling distance if you won't have a car. I don't know of much that's within walking/biking distance and is also affordable unless it's income restricted. Those can be on the sketchy side, so do your homework. The bus system here is terrible but along certain routes you may be able to work it out. Again, my advice is to find the affordable place via craigslist or other apartment finders, then see if you can map out a doable route. 

• 2 months later...