Emailing departments for jobs

tedwards09

So I've been accepted to a doc program at GWU. I received a pretty hefty fellowship, but it's only for the first year and will only cover about 3/4th of my tuition (private universities are SO expensive!). I've been in correspondence with a couple of people in admissions and they told me that if I can find an on campus job or assistantship then that will remiss 90% of my tuition, plus whatever the pay-rate is. They also advised that I should contact different departments to ask about job opportunities. How should I go about doing this? I never had an on campus job or assistantship during undergrad or my master, so I'm not sure who specifically in the departments I should contact, or what I should be asking them. Any advice is definitely welcome! Thanks!

On 3/28/2016 at 11:35 AM, tedwards09 said:

So I've been accepted to a doc program at GWU. I received a pretty hefty fellowship, but it's only for the first year and will only cover about 3/4th of my tuition (private universities are SO expensive!). I've been in correspondence with a couple of people in admissions and they told me that if I can find an on campus job or assistantship then that will remiss 90% of my tuition, plus whatever the pay-rate is. They also advised that I should contact different departments to ask about job opportunities. How should I go about doing this? I never had an on campus job or assistantship during undergrad or my master, so I'm not sure who specifically in the departments I should contact, or what I should be asking them. Any advice is definitely welcome! Thanks!

Maybe email professors you're interested in working with to ask if they take research students over the summer?