Question

Hey everyone! I just found this forum and was hoping to gain some insight regarding the application process for MSW programs in Canada.

I am currently in my last couple weeks of the BSW program at University of Northern BC (UNBC) and was wondering what most MSW programs accept as a research methods course. I have a SOCW research policy and practice course. Also, does anyone have any good advice about some good MSW programs. I have looked into UBC's program but have not heard good things. I have heard good things about U of T and York. Any suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Thank you!

4 answers to this question

Hello! I am a current MSW student at Laurier in Ontario, but I applied to a couple other schools. In terms of research methods, I found that different schools have different requirements.

U of T has a list of acceptable research courses on their website, but you can also email them and ask if the course you took satisfies the requirements - they usually reply quite promptly. U of T is very research focused so they look for research experience on your application and don't usually accept anyone who received below an A- in methods. Their program is known for it's clinical stream. U of T offers no funding, so you're on your own. I would recommend that when you're applying to the program you also apply for OGS.

York is a little more lax about methods. Their program is very social justice/anti oppression oriented. They are not a clinical program so if that's what you're looking for you won't find it there. Their administrative department is also kind of a nightmare. They are so disorganized. I received my acceptance by email 3 times. I attended undergrad at York so I know how disorganized they are. People even call it "getting York'd" Overall though, it's a good program and if your interested in social justice and theory you'll probably enjoy it. They also off RA positions to all MSW candidates. I believe that the salary is 9000$/year (don't hold me to that that's just my recollection). 

Carleton is another good program in Ottawa. It's a structural school of social work so once again, not very clinical. The focus is more on policy. But if you're interested in that it's great because you're in Ottawa and there's so many great placement opportunities. Carleton requires that you have taken a statistics course and received at least a B in addition to a research methods course. I was offered significant funding when I was accepted to this program. I'm talking like upwards of $15 000. This included a TA position. They have a minimum hours requirement that you have to have fulfilled so check that.

Laurier, which is in the Kitchener/Waterloo area of Ontario is a great program in my opinion. You can customize your education to focus on clinical or policy and community development. I'm in the community development and policy stream and I find the courses really interested and have a great placement at Planned Parenthood this semester and a placement at Public Health lined up for the fall. Others in my cohort are really enjoying their clinical placements at places like KW Counselling or various hospitals. Laurier also has a minimum hours requirement. I received a couple of scholarships - not as much a Carleton but I chose to stick closer to home.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask!

Thank you for all this information! It looks like I have the right research methods course from UNBC. I will definitely check into these programs. I don't have a stats course but does Carleton have a list of acceptable ones? I know UBC requires a stats course as well and has a list of the acceptable ones.

On April 1, 2016 at 1:33 PM, Meiks said:

Thank you for all this information! It looks like I have the right research methods course from UNBC. I will definitely check into these programs. I don't have a stats course but does Carleton have a list of acceptable ones? I know UBC requires a stats course as well and has a list of the acceptable ones.

I would imagine they have a list of acceptable courses somewhere on their website, and you could always email and ask. People from so many different disciplines apply that they need to have some sort of list for people to look at and know if the course they took satisfies their requirements. If you don't have a stats course, I suggest looking into taking one through Athabasca. It's online and at your own pace. I've heard good things. 

Edited by dexy77

On 4/1/2016 at 10:07 AM, reposae said:

Hello! I am a current MSW student at Laurier in Ontario, but I applied to a couple other schools. In terms of research methods, I found that different schools have different requirements.

U of T has a list of acceptable research courses on their website, but you can also email them and ask if the course you took satisfies the requirements - they usually reply quite promptly. U of T is very research focused so they look for research experience on your application and don't usually accept anyone who received below an A- in methods. Their program is known for it's clinical stream. U of T offers no funding, so you're on your own. I would recommend that when you're applying to the program you also apply for OGS.

York is a little more lax about methods. Their program is very social justice/anti oppression oriented. They are not a clinical program so if that's what you're looking for you won't find it there. Their administrative department is also kind of a nightmare. They are so disorganized. I received my acceptance by email 3 times. I attended undergrad at York so I know how disorganized they are. People even call it "getting York'd" Overall though, it's a good program and if your interested in social justice and theory you'll probably enjoy it. They also off RA positions to all MSW candidates. I believe that the salary is 9000$/year (don't hold me to that that's just my recollection). 

Carleton is another good program in Ottawa. It's a structural school of social work so once again, not very clinical. The focus is more on policy. But if you're interested in that it's great because you're in Ottawa and there's so many great placement opportunities. Carleton requires that you have taken a statistics course and received at least a B in addition to a research methods course. I was offered significant funding when I was accepted to this program. I'm talking like upwards of $15 000. This included a TA position. They have a minimum hours requirement that you have to have fulfilled so check that.

Laurier, which is in the Kitchener/Waterloo area of Ontario is a great program in my opinion. You can customize your education to focus on clinical or policy and community development. I'm in the community development and policy stream and I find the courses really interested and have a great placement at Planned Parenthood this semester and a placement at Public Health lined up for the fall. Others in my cohort are really enjoying their clinical placements at places like KW Counselling or various hospitals. Laurier also has a minimum hours requirement. I received a couple of scholarships - not as much a Carleton but I chose to stick closer to home.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask!

I am currently in the process of applying to some MSW programs in Canada and found your information to be SO very helpful. I am very interested in the clinical stream of social work and was having trouble determining what schools I should apply for. I was contemplating York and Carleton but now that you have stated this, I realized I definitely am looking for more clinical based programs. 

What are your thoughts on Windsor and University of Victoria in regards to their clinical focus? I am also considering UBC, which I believe is fairly clinical based.

Thanks in advance! 

Edited by lashe