Fall 2017 Applicants

Cat Time

For anyone who might be interested, I found a really informative post from someone who was on an admissions committee. It was for Sociology, but tons of the information still applies. (Link: http://forum.thegradcafe.com/topic/40476-iama-grad-student-rep-on-a-adcomm/). 

Only a few more weeks before decisions start rolling in! Happy holidays as we wait, folks! 

Edited by Espeon

16 hours ago, Espeon said:

For anyone who might be interested, I found a really informative post from someone who was on an admissions committee. It was for Sociology, but tons of the information still applies. (Link: http://forum.thegradcafe.com/topic/40476-iama-grad-student-rep-on-a-adcomm/). 

Only a few more weeks before decisions start rolling in! Happy holidays as we wait, folks! 

Thank you for the link! I certainly fell into that rabbit hole... :D

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/22/2016 at 9:06 AM, Espeon said:

That was a really helpful rabbit hole!  And one I wish I would have found before I submitted everything.  I was 0/4 last year, and just did the math that if schools notify on the same schedule as they did last year, I only have 59 more days of anxiety, max!

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, hopefulPhD2017 said:

@day_manderly indeed. I thought we would've heard a bit more last week but I think you're right--this is the week. Based on past results, over half of my programs should send out interview invitations or acceptances this week. 

I have just reread two of my SoPs, for my top choices. There is a typo in one, and the other one feels sooo dry, and overly academic... I guess I am in the freakout stage. :o:) How are you all doing?..

Edited by day_manderly

16 minutes ago, day_manderly said:

I have just reread two of my SoPs, for my top choices. There is a typo in one, and the other one feels sooo dry, and overly academic... I guess I am in the freakout stage. :o:) How are you all doing?..

Definitely not re-reading my SOPs unless I get an interview! I know I will obsess. Though if it helps, I got a professor's name backwards in my UNC Chapel Hill SOP and still got interviewed, so I don't think a typo will shut you out! ;) 

Refreshing my email every 30 minutes, even though it's the Sunday of a three-day weekend. I need to read a book or something. Lol 

14 minutes ago, Espeon said:

Definitely not re-reading my SOPs unless I get an interview! I know I will obsess. Though if it helps, I got a professor's name backwards in my UNC Chapel Hill SOP and still got interviewed, so I don't think a typo will shut you out! ;) 

Refreshing my email every 30 minutes, even though it's the Sunday of a three-day weekend. I need to read a book or something. Lol 

Tell me about it... I need to sleep! (European time zone). Try reading a page-turner. I remember not being able to put The Girl with a Dragon Tattoo down a few years back, for example... Also, The Martian - the best read ever. Has some bad-ass problem-solving going on too.

I've got my 'grad school' e-mail app installed on all my gadgets, and each time the phone/tablet buzzes with a n y e-mail - from the 'grad school' e-mail or from the regular one - I feel how my insides do a barrel roll...

What do you mean 'backwards'? :) Gee, you've already got one interview up your sleeve, that must feel gooood. :D

Edited by day_manderly

3 minutes ago, day_manderly said:

Wait, three-day? Why?.. Is tomorrow off too?..

In the US we have Martin Luther King, Jr. day off. Schools are out and I imagine nothing will happen as far as notifications are concerned, but you never know! 

I read The Martian (it was good!) and Gone Girl, and I'm about to start reading Kindred. Right now I'm getting through Harry Potter, and since it's a re-read, it's not distracting me enough. Lol. 

In the UNC SOP, I put a POI's last name first and first name last. I didn't realize until I was on the phone with the program chair. Awkward. Lol. I didn't mention it, because I assume they read it, but I felt embarrassed. The interview went really well though. It wasn't a confirmed admit yet (the committee has to meet and vote and whatnot), but I feel really good about it! Not a bad way to start off the acceptance/rejection season at all. 

2 minutes ago, Espeon said:

In the US we have Martin Luther King, Jr. day off. Schools are out and I imagine nothing will happen as far as notifications are concerned, but you never know! 

I read The Martian (it was good!) and Gone Girl, and I'm about to start reading Kindred. Right now I'm getting through Harry Potter, and since it's a re-read, it's not distracting me enough. Lol. 

In the UNC SOP, I put a POI's last name first and first name last. I didn't realize until I was on the phone with the program chair. Awkward. Lol. I didn't mention it, because I assume they read it, but I felt embarrassed. The interview went really well though. It wasn't a confirmed admit yet (the committee has to meet and vote and whatnot), but I feel really good about it! Not a bad way to start off the acceptance/rejection season at all. 

With all due respect to Martin Luther King, Jr. ... Well, but that means that we can try talking ourselves into not worrying tomorrow. :) I dropped Harry Potter at the 5th book, because I remember it perfectly as well. Nerdiness truly runs deep on this forum. :D

Your POI name situation doesn't seem embarrassing at all to me. Perhaps everybody is just too self-conscious.

So happy for you and your interview. :D That is awesome! Let's hope good news keep on coming your way! I suggest a new routine for you: refresh your e-mail, google UNC Campus (or Chapel Hill weather, or Chapel Hill parks, etc.), rinse, repeat. :)

@day_manderly not the worst idea for a routine! I already tried it out and am liking it! ;) Aaaaand then I went back to overanalyzing the survey results from previous years for my programs (which ones don't interview? Which ones do? Which ones typically notify by phone? By email? Which days of the week? Etc). 

I'm a bit new here so I hope this is the right place to post this.

I'm an international applicant and was offered admission for a phd program in education in one of the public universities a few weeks ago. I mentioned the subject of funding to my advisor in the program, and got no reply in the matter. I turned to the graduate student coordinator, and received a link to a page detailing funding possibilities.

I then sent some emails requesting information to the people in charge of the relevant scholarships, as they were specified in the program website - got no reply whatsoever.

Is it too early to discuss funding? When does funding info usually come? Is it possible that I'm offered nothing?

1 hour ago, PirateJenny said:

I'm a bit new here so I hope this is the right place to post this.

I'm an international applicant and was offered admission for a phd program in education in one of the public universities a few weeks ago. I mentioned the subject of funding to my advisor in the program, and got no reply in the matter. I turned to the graduate student coordinator, and received a link to a page detailing funding possibilities.

I then sent some emails requesting information to the people in charge of the relevant scholarships, as they were specified in the program website - got no reply whatsoever.

Is it too early to discuss funding? When does funding info usually come? Is it possible that I'm offered nothing?

Congrats @PirateJenny! I have gotten much better responses on the phone. Have you tried calling instead of emailing?

43 minutes ago, hopefulPhD2017 said:

Congrats @PirateJenny! I have gotten much better responses on the phone. Have you tried calling instead of emailing?

No, I haven't. I'm not in the US so initially I preferred not to pay for the call. Now I just find it weird that nobody is answering me. 

51 minutes ago, PirateJenny said:

No, I haven't. I'm not in the US so initially I preferred not to pay for the call. Now I just find it weird that nobody is answering me. 

If you have a Skype or Google/Gmail account, the call won't be outrageously priced. I think I usually pay a few US pennies to call my family in the states and I live in a country that has some of the highest Google phone charges to call internationally. I agree that a call might be a good way to get an answer, particularly at this time of year and given what you're inquiring. 

I just got an email from one of my schools saying that they were just STARTING to review applications and would notify people by 2/2 if they are invited to oncampus weekend.  The idea that schools with a 12/1 deadline are just now starting to review is both a relief and super frustrating. 

16 minutes ago, ugggggh said:

I just got an email from one of my schools saying that they were just STARTING to review applications and would notify people by 2/2 if they are invited to oncampus weekend.  The idea that schools with a 12/1 deadline are just now starting to review is both a relief and super frustrating. 

Nah, it's ok, they need time to collect all the docs, match them, etc. Which school if you don't mind me asking? (imagine me looking at this page with a maniacal expression - I do realize we only have one overlap in terms of the schools we are applying to, but still).

11 minutes ago, day_manderly said:

Nah, it's ok, they need time to collect all the docs, match them, etc. Which school if you don't mind me asking? (imagine me looking at this page with a maniacal expression - I do realize we only have one overlap in terms of the schools we are applying to, but still).

Out of curiosity, what is our overlap? It was Iowa who emailed. 

34 minutes ago, ugggggh said:

Out of curiosity, what is our overlap? It was Iowa who emailed. 

Vandy

Iowa is nice to email. I wish all schools did that. Or maybe not... Imagine: 'Dear applicant, we are looking at your application RIGHT NOW'.

25 minutes ago, day_manderly said:

Vandy

Iowa is nice to email. I wish all schools did that. Or maybe not... Imagine: 'Dear applicant, we are looking at your application RIGHT NOW'.

Ahh yes. I remember seeing you in that thread. :)  Indiana sent an email saying that they were just starting to review apps last week.  But then sent on-campus invitations 4 days later.   I hate how much this all feels like black magic (though that feels disrespectful to black magic at this point...)

3 hours ago, ugggggh said:

Ahh yes. I remember seeing you in that thread. :)  Indiana sent an email saying that they were just starting to review apps last week.  But then sent on-campus invitations 4 days later.   I hate how much this all feels like black magic (though that feels disrespectful to black magic at this point...)

It does. :) What do you guys do to calm the nerves?