SLP applicants Fall 2016 Decision!

I decided on Salus University and I'm so excited! It's the only school I was accepted to (I was waitlisted at one other school) but honestly it's such a great program I would have picked it regardless. It's a smaller school and only graduate students, which I love because undergrad was not my favorite time. It's all health sciences professional programs, too, so I'll have the opportunity to work alongside OT's, audiologists, etc. while still in school. The campus is beautiful and in a super cute part of town. It'll be the farthest I've ever been from home but it's still drivable which makes it less intimidating. The tuition is also surprisingly affordable for a private school and is the same for in and out of state students. 

I applied to 10 schools on the east coast so I would have a better chance. Turns out all you need is just one school that wants you!

1. Why did you choose the program you're going to? What really sold it for you? 

CU Boulder!  I want to say that the wonderful breakfast and lunch buffets didn't sway my opinion... My close friends know how impressionable I am when it comes to food, so they keep teasing that I chose the school that gave me food haha.  Maybe that affected my subconscious, but I like to think I'm not so superficial!  :P  Jokes aside, they have a good working relationship with the children's hospital there (I'm interested in SLP work in children's hospitals), and they have an AAC summer camp (I'm interested in AAC).  I'm almost certain that I want to work with kids, but I want to try out various settings before I commit to one.  It's nice that they have on-campus clinics and labs, and they also have various off-campus practica supervised by faculty.  In addition, the program requires two final internships, and you can do your last semester out-of-state.  The Boulder area is also very nice.  Lots of greenery, and everything you need- supermarkets, pharmacies, arts & crafts stores, etc are within a few blocks of campus.  They also had a variety of financial aid opportunities within the department for Masters students, which gives me hope, even though they don't give financial aid information until after you accept.  The students and faculty were very friendly and informative.  Their open house addressed everything that I wanted to ask and more.

2. How many schools did you apply to?

Six.  My professors told me I only needed to apply to three or four, but I added one more just in case.  I wanted to go out of state, but my family kept on trying to persuade me to stay in California.  So I added a sixth California school.

1. Why did you choose the program you're going to? What really sold it for you? 

Howard University! It was my first choice, and I chose it because of it's history, the great professors, the location, and because it offered the 3-year out of major track for SLP.

2. How many schools did you apply to?

I applied to two, GW and Howard. I got waitlisted off of GW, and they asked me if I wanted to stay on the waitlist but I deferred. if I was anywhere on a short-list I hope that helped someone else get in!