Private or Public?

Slagatha

Question

A bit more complicated than that, but a big part of the choice. 

I've been given funded offers to two programmes: one private in Texas, and one public in Washington state. 

1. The private university has deep pockets, and has offered me a) about $5k more stipend per year than the public, and b) an extra year of guaranteed funding (so 3 years instead of 2). My concern is that additional funding (and grants for travel, conferences, etc) might be easier to come by at the private university than at the public. In either case, it's livable, although I might be eating more noodles in Washington. I worry about the added stress of sourcing funding at both, and wonder if it's likely to be significantly easier at a private university. I know that in both cases I'll be looking for dissertation funding from outside sources (NSF, etc), but I think that is fairly common.
  2. The public university is right up there in terms of rankings, and has an excellent and well established faculty. The private university is known in some circles, but not widely, and has some good faculty although a lot younger and not nearly as established. 
  3. The potential dissertation project, fieldwork, and supervision at the private university sound really excellent, but I'm still working out the specifics of the public dissertation (although the supervisor sounds just as good). 
  4. Texas does not sound appealing. Like. At all. I'd give it a crack for 5-6 years for the sake of the degree, but I can't see myself being totally happy there, even with a bit more money. 

So:

1. Are you likely to see more opportunities from a, say, second-tier private university over a top-range public? That might depend on faculty connections, but is it likely to matter in terms of name and the public-private divide? 
  2. The Big Question: Financial security + summers doing field work on a tropical island, or an adventure in poverty + a potentially more valuable piece of paper?

11 answers to this question

Oof, fun time to weigh in on this! I just wanted to vouch a little for texas. I completed my undergraduate in Houston and will be attending Sam Houston in the fall. This is certainly not where I thought I would be (I've always felt a draw to the north east) but the program and funding was too good to pass up. Texas is as a whole misrepresented in the media. I'm not sure of the school in question, but the big cities (Austin/DFW/Houston) are predominantly liberal and incredibly diverse. In fact, University of Houston is the second most diverse campus in the nation! Sure we have our problems such as PROP1 not passing, but overall you'll find it to be surprisingly inclusive.

As for campus carry, that is another problem you'll have to think about. It unfortunately will go into effect in August, and it's completely understandable if that's something you're not comfortable with. However, if this is one of the big reasons you don't choose to come to Texas, PLEASE tell the university administration that that is part of the reason you chose not to come. With enough data proving that this law will decrease enrollment in Texas universities, we may be able to overturn it! 

Also, part of the reason I chose SHSU is the fact that I can comfortably live alone. Cost of living in Texas is incredibly reasonable, and most of the friends I have in current grad programs across the state live alone or with their SOs.

Overall, this process is entirely personal and I hope that you find the place that best suits you! 

1. Depends on the department. Some departments have more funding available, even within a specific university.

2. I think you can deal with Texas for several years. If the university is in the D-FW or Houston area, there is plenty of diversity regarding many adepts of life.

On 4/8/2016 at 9:49 PM, rack_attack124 said:

lol what do you have against Texas? I want to move there! and honestly if you don't think you'd be happy there, then I would trust your gut and not go. Can't you just take loans out for any additional money you would need or use savings if you worked? I never want to live in Washington. I have friends in Seattle. It's pretty much cold and rainy all year, but maybe you like that. Texas is going to be hot and sunny, which is precisely why I want to move there.

Haha, it's interesting that both responses picked up on location quite significantly. I actually lived in the Middle East for a long time as a kid, and and I've since conducted field work there, so I definitely get the appeal of hot and sunny but there's more to it than that for me (and I really enjoy cold and wet). I know that guns are a thing in the US more broadly, but I'd be lying if I said that the mandatory campus carry laws in Texas weren't concerning (although I believe that private universities can opt out). I also have concerns about racism and diversity - these may or may not be unfounded, I don't know, I haven't lived there, but there was some news last year out of the Texas university that was a bit unsettling.    

Two things stopping me from taking out loans: 1) I'm an international student so would be taking out a loan back home, but with no income per se in the US a loan would not feasible to keep on top of and the interest would build steadily, and 2) I honestly don't think I (or tbh the majority of suitable students) should have to pay to do a PhD. 

So, yeah, it was a fun week weighing up the pros and cons, but I've gone with the Washington offer. 

3 hours ago, Slagatha said:

Cheers for the input!

lol what do you have against Texas? I want to move there! and honestly if you don't think you'd be happy there, then I would trust your gut and not go. Can't you just take loans out for any additional money you would need or use savings if you worked? I never want to live in Washington. I have friends in Seattle. It's pretty much cold and rainy all year, but maybe you like that. Texas is going to be hot and sunny, which is precisely why I want to move there.

4 hours ago, Slagatha said:

Haha, it's interesting that both responses picked up on location quite significantly. I actually lived in the Middle East for a long time as a kid, and and I've since conducted field work there, so I definitely get the appeal of hot and sunny but there's more to it than that for me (and I really enjoy cold and wet). I know that guns are a thing in the US more broadly, but I'd be lying if I said that the mandatory campus carry laws in Texas weren't concerning (although I believe that private universities can opt out). I also have concerns about racism and diversity - these may or may not be unfounded, I don't know, I haven't lived there, but there was some news last year out of the Texas university that was a bit unsettling.    

Two things stopping me from taking out loans: 1) I'm an international student so would be taking out a loan back home, but with no income per se in the US a loan would not feasible to keep on top of and the interest would build steadily, and 2) I honestly don't think I (or tbh the majority of suitable students) should have to pay to do a PhD. 

So, yeah, it was a fun week weighing up the pros and cons, but I've gone with the Washington offer. 

To each his own I guess. I'm not really in favor of affirmative action. I don't think ethnicity should be asked on applications at all. And regarding racism I HIGHLY doubt that you could generalize that at just Texas. Racism happens everywhere. Texas would have been cheaper for you lol. Seattle rent is outrageous my friend paying like $2100 for a one bedroom there. 

Whoa, okay, I didn't mention affirmative action at all. Maybe I could better generalize that across the south on the whole, based on your comment? Again, I don't know, I haven't lived there. Sure, racism and sexism and other challenges are certainly everyday issues for a lot of people. 

I worked through a budget between the two and yeah, Texas would have been a little cheaper overall, but not by any amount that makes the decision unrealistic. I think a one bedroom apartment is a little ostentatious for a PhD student. I've been looking at shared houses in both cities - fairly comparable actually, and utilities seem to be around the same, too. 

EDIT: But thanks again, always appreciate some different insights!

Edited by Slagatha

3 hours ago, rack_attack124 said:

To each his own I guess. I'm not really in favor of affirmative action. I don't think ethnicity should be asked on applications at all. And regarding racism I HIGHLY doubt that you could generalize that at just Texas. Racism happens everywhere. Texas would have been cheaper for you lol. Seattle rent is outrageous my friend paying like $2100 for a one bedroom there. 

You are grossly uninformed, judgmental, and ignorant of your privileges and where they came from. Affirmative Action has helped white women more than men and women of color, and you being against it is ironic [1]. I am a great supporter of Affirmative Action because not everyone can grow up in an educated, middle/high income, non-criminalized, and [insert white privileges here] household and then expect to catch up to their white counterparts at the age of 17 when applying for college.

After having read your other comments in the other threads, I suggest that you reevaluate your values and to realign it with modern America because eventually you're going to harm no one but yourself.

Edited by kbui

8 hours ago, Slagatha said:

Whoa, okay, I didn't mention affirmative action at all. Maybe I could better generalize that across the south on the whole, based on your comment? Again, I don't know, I haven't lived there. Sure, racism and sexism and other challenges are certainly everyday issues for a lot of people. 

I worked through a budget between the two and yeah, Texas would have been a little cheaper overall, but not by any amount that makes the decision unrealistic. I think a one bedroom apartment is a little ostentatious for a PhD student. I've been looking at shared houses in both cities - fairly comparable actually, and utilities seem to be around the same, too. 

EDIT: But thanks again, always appreciate some different insights!

I never said that my friend was a PhD student and for the record she isn't but I hope you are happy in Washington and find a place that you like to live! She lives in Capitol Hill. I don't know Seattle but I think Capitol Hill is trendy so maybe it costs more. I went to Seattle once in 2007 and my impression was that it's expensive. I haven't been to Texas. Clearly you want to go to Washington lol and I hope that you are happy! 

7 hours ago, kbui said:

You are grossly uninformed, judgmental, and ignorant of your privileges and where they came from. Affirmative Action has helped white women more than men and women of color, and you being against it is ironic [1]. I am a great supporter of Affirmative Action because not everyone can grow up in an educated, middle/high income, non-criminalized, and [insert white privileges here] household and then expect to catch up to their white counterparts at the age of 17 when applying for college.

After having read your other comments in the other threads, I suggest that you reevaluate your values and to realign it with modern America because eventually you're going to harm no one but yourself.

It sounds like you're the one judging me. I don't think this is the place for that and everyone is entitled to their opinion. There's no need for you to continue to make these kind of comments to me. I don't think people go on the forum to hear you chastise other people like that. 

8 hours ago, rack_attack124 said:

I never said that my friend was a PhD student and for the record she isn't but I hope you are happy in Washington and find a place that you like to live! She lives in Capitol Hill. I don't know Seattle but I think Capitol Hill is trendy so maybe it costs more. 

Nonono, totally, but am so it just wouldn't be feasible. From what I've been reading, there are some prohibitively expensive areas in Seattle, but I guess that's the same in most major cities. 

3 hours ago, badquesobleus said:

Oof, fun time to weigh in on this! I just wanted to vouch a little for texas. I completed my undergraduate in Houston and will be attending Sam Houston in the fall. This is certainly not where I thought I would be (I've always felt a draw to the north east) but the program and funding was too good to pass up. Texas is as a whole misrepresented in the media. I'm not sure of the school in question, but the big cities (Austin/DFW/Houston) are predominantly liberal and incredibly diverse. In fact, University of Houston is the second most diverse campus in the nation! Sure we have our problems such as PROP1 not passing, but overall you'll find it to be surprisingly inclusive.

As for campus carry, that is another problem you'll have to think about. It unfortunately will go into effect in August, and it's completely understandable if that's something you're not comfortable with. However, if this is one of the big reasons you don't choose to come to Texas, PLEASE tell the university administration that that is part of the reason you chose not to come. With enough data proving that this law will decrease enrollment in Texas universities, we may be able to overturn it! 

Also, part of the reason I chose SHSU is the fact that I can comfortably live alone. Cost of living in Texas is incredibly reasonable, and most of the friends I have in current grad programs across the state live alone or with their SOs.

Overall, this process is entirely personal and I hope that you find the place that best suits you! 

Thanks for your comments! Yeah, that's something one of the grad students mentioned when I had a chat to her - most people live solo or with partners, it's pretty cool that that's affordable. I will definitely let them know that campus carry plays into my decision, I really hope that kind of feedback helps - I just can't rationalize why it being mandatory vs. opt-in is a thing.

Personal, but so hard! There's always aspects of each that appeal, so no matter which way you go you're sacrificing something when you pick.