I've been accepted to the MA National Security & Foreign policy program at American University and the MA International Security program at the Josef Korbel School. I've been trying to choose between the two and it has proven to be a very difficult process. I will be relying on loans to pay tuition, so money is serious concern. I want a program that is geared toward policy development and encourages the 'think tank' approach. Help!

Congratulations on your admittances! I was accepted into both these schools and went with AU.

I recommend asking people who work in the sector that you're interested for advice, and also asking to be put in contact with alumni of both programs to ask them how they liked the program and what they're doing now. Sarah Riley (sriley@american.edu) is the coordinator for your (our) program at AU who can put you in touch with alumni.

In terms of the think tank approach, I recommend checking out the current and past practica that AU students do for their capstone to see if that is what you are interested in: http://www.american.edu/sis/practica/

Has either school offered any kind of financial aid?

Edited by irapplicant1776

• 2 weeks later...

@irapplicant1776 Thank you! Those were some very helpful suggestions. I have until this Friday to decide (Ahhh!). I was offered financial aid to both schools, but would still need $30,000 for AU and $15,000 for Josef Korbel. I am currently leaning toward American University, because of all the opportunity that comes with living in DC. However, I'm still suffering from that sticker shock for the program, but also general cost of living.