Best way(s) to work on and strengthen foreign language skills?

Danger_Zone

Currently I am trying to learn German. I do not anticipate needing to use foreign language skills in my research (I'm primarily interested in US history), unless my research happens to take that turn. Unfortunately I did not take advantage of foreign language classes at my university as my decision to attend grad school (and even to major in history) happened during my last couple of years, and by then I had no room for electives as I was trying to finish up two majors. I only have some knowledge of French from secondary school (I may try to strengthen my French as well in the future but I enjoy learning German much more), so I have been basically trying to teach myself German through apps and other online/mobile services, games, etc. This has been fine so far, but it's hard to tell how much I've improved or if there are much more efficient and helpful ways to learn German. If anybody can recommend any good books, online resources or anything like that that have been helpful to you I'd really appreciate it. :) I know of programs such as Rosetta Stone but these can be rather pricey and I'd rather not spend a tonne of money on this if I can avoid it.

Well, the first thing is that schools (particularly graduate schools) often offer '____ language for reading knowledge' courses, which means it'll be an advanced/quicker class designed not for speaking but for academic reading. You should take advantage of this if you have the time in your new program. It'll take half the time or less than learning it in traditional LANG 101 classes.  You might be able to have an independent study with a professor in a language department if you don't have access to the academic reading classes.

You also might be able to get funding from your school to learn languages (I'm funded by my undergrad this summer to go to Germany and do an immersive German program), which is a super quick (and fun!) way to learn the language.

I have to warn you that I'm a Classicist, but I'm going to recommend those old hard-core grammar books for learning languages, if you're teaching yourself, especially for reading knowledge. I personally just like to have the conjugations presented to me, the uses of the subjunctive explained, etc. That said, if grammar isn't your thing or it scares you a bit, you might be better off with a newer book that focuses on practicing with sentences and doesn't directly explain grammar (this just drive me crazy, but everyone learns differently!). 

I would recommend against a Rosetta Stone approach--these programs are designed for daily conversation, which is not the grammar or standard vocabulary set that you need. I know you weren't leaning towards it, but just reaffirming!

So essentially, a lot of suggestions here depend on your situation. I know these aren't books--but maybe something to think about regardless :)

Audible just released their "channels" to subscribers, and I noticed that two of them are dedicated to learning French and Spanish. I don't think there's German, but it's another resource, and I thought I'd mention it. :) 

No idea if they are any good. The channels released today, so I haven't had the chance to dig into the Spanish one to see how it is.

16 hours ago, ClassApp said:

Well, the first thing is that schools (particularly graduate schools) often offer '____ language for reading knowledge' courses, which means it'll be an advanced/quicker class designed not for speaking but for academic reading. You should take advantage of this if you have the time in your new program. It'll take half the time or less than learning it in traditional LANG 101 classes.  You might be able to have an independent study with a professor in a language department if you don't have access to the academic reading classes.

You also might be able to get funding from your school to learn languages (I'm funded by my undergrad this summer to go to Germany and do an immersive German program), which is a super quick (and fun!) way to learn the language.

I have to warn you that I'm a Classicist, but I'm going to recommend those old hard-core grammar books for learning languages, if you're teaching yourself, especially for reading knowledge. I personally just like to have the conjugations presented to me, the uses of the subjunctive explained, etc. That said, if grammar isn't your thing or it scares you a bit, you might be better off with a newer book that focuses on practicing with sentences and doesn't directly explain grammar (this just drive me crazy, but everyone learns differently!). 

I would recommend against a Rosetta Stone approach--these programs are designed for daily conversation, which is not the grammar or standard vocabulary set that you need. I know you weren't leaning towards it, but just reaffirming!

So essentially, a lot of suggestions here depend on your situation. I know these aren't books--but maybe something to think about regardless :)

Thanks! I didn't realize it was possible to get funding from schools to learn languages. I was going to possibly take a summer course in German once I had enrolled at the school, but if I can find more efficient ways to do so that would really help me. I've always been rather poor at speaking/listening to foreign languages (this was my weakness with secondary school French), and I know reading comprehension is more important in grad school, so I'd rather find ways to focus on the latter more if I can.

I might also pick up a grammar book or two as well. I really don't mind this approach as long as it doesn't end up being too dry. :)

17 hours ago, Danger_Zone said:

Currently I am trying to learn German. I do not anticipate needing to use foreign language skills in my research (I'm primarily interested in US history), unless my research happens to take that turn. Unfortunately I did not take advantage of foreign language classes at my university as my decision to attend grad school (and even to major in history) happened during my last couple of years, and by then I had no room for electives as I was trying to finish up two majors. I only have some knowledge of French from secondary school (I may try to strengthen my French as well in the future but I enjoy learning German much more), so I have been basically trying to teach myself German through apps and other online/mobile services, games, etc. This has been fine so far, but it's hard to tell how much I've improved or if there are much more efficient and helpful ways to learn German. If anybody can recommend any good books, online resources or anything like that that have been helpful to you I'd really appreciate it. :) I know of programs such as Rosetta Stone but these can be rather pricey and I'd rather not spend a tonne of money on this if I can avoid it.

@Danger_Zone in my opinion the best way is to go to a country that speaks German if you can. Changing what you want to do always creates obstacles but you can overcome them if you try. If you have any savings, I would recommend trying to go to Europe. I realize that may not be realistic if you are as broke as I am. I just suggest it because in college I studied abroad in Spain and was able to learn more nuances of the language and fully immerse myself in the culture. I lived with host mom for 6 weeks and the professor at the Spanish university spoke no English. Neither did my host mom. If not, then try to find a legit German or French person. I haven't been to Canada, but it looks like you are there. I thought people spoke French there. You should try to find native speakers. They will be better to practice with than non-natives. If there are any French bakeries near you, that's a great place to find some real French people. I used to work in a French bakery. There were definitely people fresh from France but I did not pick up French by working there lol. 

Look into culture/language clubs at your university. Often times, these clubs will have regular informal meetings where students can practice their language skills with each other or with native speakers (if there are any involved), and they are a great way to learn at any level.

44 minutes ago, Danger_Zone said:

Thanks! I didn't realize it was possible to get funding from schools to learn languages. I was going to possibly take a summer course in German once I had enrolled at the school, but if I can find more efficient ways to do so that would really help me. I've always been rather poor at speaking/listening to foreign languages (this was my weakness with secondary school French), and I know reading comprehension is more important in grad school, so I'd rather find ways to focus on the latter more if I can.

I might also pick up a grammar book or two as well. I really don't mind this approach as long as it doesn't end up being too dry. :)

Yeah, it's surprising how many random scholarships and grants they have! Be sure to check what funding your specific department has as well as the funding for the entire university (and even outside your university). The other thing that might be helpful is to kind of cobble together multiple scholarships (ie one for travel, one for living expenses, one for the program cost, etc.) because some scholarships are particular about what they should be used for. 

As far as teaching yourself, flashcards never hurt and try to do some of the exercises in the book! If you're able to get a teacher version and a student version of the book, you'll be golden. Also it can be helpful if you have a friend who knows the language better (doesn't have to be fluent, just taken the language for a few semesters) to ask any questions that might seem confusing. And finally, google is your friend! If you don't understand what the book is talking about in a particular section, don't forget about the millions of resources online as well to help understand any complex aspects of the grammar. Or try peer tutoring/language clubs for these questions and regular practice, like @preantepenultimate suggested. Depending on your field, you might be even able to trade tutoring services with another grad student (e.g. a German grad student who has to take a History course, or another grad student in the history department who has taken a lot of German but struggles with your particular field of History or something).

1 hour ago, Septerra said:

Two Words: Middlebury College.

^THIS

Fantastic summer program that puts you in full immersion for 7-9 weeks depending on program length. I did it 8 years ago for Japanese and learned more in that summer than I did in the two years of college courses I took before that. As others have mentioned, once you're enrolled your program will likely give you funding for language, so this may be an option for next summer rather than the coming one. 

1 hour ago, kyjin said:

^THIS

Fantastic summer program that puts you in full immersion for 7-9 weeks depending on program length. I did it 8 years ago for Japanese and learned more in that summer than I did in the two years of college courses I took before that. As others have mentioned, once you're enrolled your program will likely give you funding for language, so this may be an option for next summer rather than the coming one. 

I can say first hand that there are several funding opportunities for this program. Don't let the initial price tag dissuade you from applying. Make sure you fill out your FAFSA and apply for financial aid through Middlebury itself after you apply. Also, check out your department's funding opportunities. Good luck should you choose this route.

For OP specifically--I've heard from an acquaintance who is near fluent in German that English Grammar for Students of German is an excellent resource.

More generally--I second grammar books if you're self-teaching. I would combine those with vocabulary practice, flash cards work for many people but I prefer using the words in sentences because if I don't apply it I won't remember it.

Once you have a decent grasp of a language, you'll need to be somewhat versed in its academese, as language exams involve translating an academic piece. I highly highly recommend spending a good chunk of time each week reading and translating scholarly articles and listening to the news in that language (the app TuneIn Radio is awesome).

How intensively you study should be determined based on if you'll actually use the language or are only checking off a requirement.

1 hour ago, ashiepoo72 said:

For OP specifically--I've heard from an acquaintance who is near fluent in German that English Grammar for Students of German is an excellent resource.

More generally--I second grammar books if you're self-teaching. I would combine those with vocabulary practice, flash cards work for many people but I prefer using the words in sentences because if I don't apply it I won't remember it.

Once you have a decent grasp of a language, you'll need to be somewhat versed in its academese, as language exams involve translating an academic piece. I highly highly recommend spending a good chunk of time each week reading and translating scholarly articles and listening to the news in that language (the app TuneIn Radio is awesome).

How intensively you study should be determined based on if you'll actually use the language or are only checking off a requirement.

Thank you for the book recommendation. I feel like my post may have sounded as though I am only learning German in order to fulfill the language requirement, but I think it would be wonderful to learn a new language and am really enjoying German. I'm just unsure of if I will need this language in my research (at least for what I am planning to research) but of course it is hard to know what kind of knowledge you will need until you actually dig into the research. :) I'm hoping to read some books/articles in German once I have a better grasp of the grammar and vocabulary.

3 hours ago, ClassApp said:

Yeah, it's surprising how many random scholarships and grants they have! Be sure to check what funding your specific department has as well as the funding for the entire university (and even outside your university). The other thing that might be helpful is to kind of cobble together multiple scholarships (ie one for travel, one for living expenses, one for the program cost, etc.) because some scholarships are particular about what they should be used for. 

As far as teaching yourself, flashcards never hurt and try to do some of the exercises in the book! If you're able to get a teacher version and a student version of the book, you'll be golden. Also it can be helpful if you have a friend who knows the language better (doesn't have to be fluent, just taken the language for a few semesters) to ask any questions that might seem confusing. And finally, google is your friend! If you don't understand what the book is talking about in a particular section, don't forget about the millions of resources online as well to help understand any complex aspects of the grammar. Or try peer tutoring/language clubs for these questions and regular practice, like @preantepenultimate suggested. Depending on your field, you might be even able to trade tutoring services with another grad student (e.g. a German grad student who has to take a History course, or another grad student in the history department who has taken a lot of German but struggles with your particular field of History or something).

That's definitely a good idea about finding both a teacher and student version of a book, I had never considered that! I do know somebody with some university-level German who has been helping me out a little bit, it definitely helps to have somebody with knowledge to ask questions and speak random phrases to. :P

Thank you all for the great suggestions (would give you rep but I'm out for the day.-_-)! I'll have to look into Middlebury although with my limited time and money I will probably have to opt for other resources. Though I may see if there are any sort of local classes or something similar. :)

Edited by Danger_Zone

I'm not trying to denigrate anyone who is only gaining language proficiency to check off a requirement. The fact of the matter is, it behooves us all to make normative progress and part of doing that is jumping through the hoops of minors and language requirements. These can and should be meaningful to our work in some way, and for some of us will be quite important to our projects. But keeping the bigger picture of our dissertation in mind (which involves getting through the stuff keeping us from achieving ABD status as quickly as possible) should be our main task.

I also want to say that there are lots of online resources that might help you. At the very least there are free proficiency tests that aren't perfect but will give you an idea of how you're progressing.

If you're learning another language for PhD reading/translation requirements, I strongly advise that you not take regular classes, buy software, or join clubs.

I struggled badly with a French translation class because I kept trying to fit the instruction into my previous French language course experience. Reading for translation is a completely different skill than learning how to speak the language.

Go to Amazon and find books on "[insert language] for Reading." You need to know the grammar rules and vocabulary for your field more so than understanding it like a foreign language speaker. Practicing translating German into English, and checking the accuracy will help you the best.

Edited by NoirFemme

11 hours ago, ashiepoo72 said:

I'm not trying to denigrate anyone who is only gaining language proficiency to check off a requirement. The fact of the matter is, it behooves us all to make normative progress and part of doing that is jumping through the hoops of minors and language requirements. These can and should be meaningful to our work in some way, and for some of us will be quite important to our projects. But keeping the bigger picture of our dissertation in mind (which involves getting through the stuff keeping us from achieving ABD status as quickly as possible) should be our main task.

I also want to say that there are lots of online resources that might help you. At the very least there are free proficiency tests that aren't perfect but will give you an idea of how you're progressing.

Definitely! I think my end goal would definitely be to learn German proficiently, but for the time being - given my limited time and all of the other needs and requirements that go along with graduate school - I'd like to focus more on what I will need to know in order to finish my degree. But I can definitely understand that with one, two or even more foreign language requirements needed it can become overwhelming and even burdensome at times. Sometimes it just feels like I'm a bit behind in this as so many people earning history PhDs have already gotten a decent amount of language comprehension under their belts. :)

11 hours ago, NoirFemme said:

If you're learning another language for PhD reading/translation requirements, I strongly advise that you not take regular classes, buy software, or join clubs.

I struggled badly with a French translation class because I kept trying to fit the instruction into my previous French language course experience. Reading for translation is a completely different skill than learning how to speak the language.

Go to Amazon and find books on "[insert language] for Reading." You need to know the grammar rules and vocabulary for your field more so than understanding it like a foreign language speaker. Practicing translating German into English, and checking the accuracy will help you the best.

Great suggestion, I've searched just that and a number of highly rated books have come up. Guess my "to read" collection will be growing even more..-_-