What should I do now?

Hello all, 

I am a new member. I got offered for PhD program in chemistry from school A. The school requires me to let them know my decision by April 15th. However, I am still waiting for the decision from school B which I applied to as chemical engineering major. I just had a conversation with a counselor and she said the decision may be made between now and September 1st? 

I really don't wanna accept offer from school A then retract it. It doesn't sound professional.

What should I do now?

Given the ridiculous timeline (imo) timeline for school B, it seems like you have three options:

1) Accept School A and go there regardless of what you hear from School B.

2) Accept School A and then retract your acceptance if you get into School B.

3) Decline the offer at School A while you wait to hear from School B.

Personally, I'd go with the first option. If School B is going to potentially wait until September, it sounds like it's an unfunded PhD offer.

3 hours ago, rising_star said:

Given the ridiculous timeline (imo) timeline for school B, it seems like you have three options:

1) Accept School A and go there regardless of what you hear from School B.

2) Accept School A and then retract your acceptance if you get into School B.

3) Decline the offer at School A while you wait to hear from School B.

Personally, I'd go with the first option. If School B is going to potentially wait until September, it sounds like it's an unfunded PhD offer.

I chose to do option 2 because I am waiting for multiple schools answers. I feel like option 3 is too risky.

12 minutes ago, Itzik said:

I chose to do option 2 because I am waiting for multiple schools answers. I feel like option 3 is too risky.

I would have chosen the same. I wouldn't worry about being not professional. I did it before and applied to that same program again and they still admitted me. It's to be expected that this kind of thing happens. Schools would be ridiculous if they thought that was the only school people applied to. Most people are trying to weigh their options. It's not ideal to accept and renege but it is better to have an option than not at all. Worst case scenario you declined A and then didn't get into B either. Then what would you have? Nothing. 

19 hours ago, rising_star said:

I would do the same.

A gift in hand is better than the hope of a better gift.