So I applied to Brock , Wilfred Laurier and McMaster and the worst just happened today - we regret to inform you ..... from Brock. Oh what makes it worse is that is my current school. I think I am still numb which is why I haven't cried yet. Definetely did not expect it . I am however still waiting for Laurier and McMaster. But I don't know , if my own school didn't accept me ( depressed mode) , how much more others ? Seems like I might have to look into option B : job hunting . Omg ! I have a 78% average overall , with like above 80 % in the last two years . Maybe my letter of intent wasn't strong enough.  I am scared but calm at the same time like maybe there is a higher purpose to this. I refused to be depressed  though . Fingers crossed for Laurier and McMaster . 

3 hours ago, Jojoba said:

So I applied to Brock , Wilfred Laurier and McMaster and the worst just happened today - we regret to inform you ..... from Brock. Oh what makes it worse is that is my current school. I think I am still numb which is why I haven't cried yet. Definetely did not expect it . I am however still waiting for Laurier and McMaster. But I don't know , if my own school didn't accept me ( depressed mode) , how much more others ? Seems like I might have to look into option B : job hunting . Omg ! I have a 78% average overall , with like above 80 % in the last two years . Maybe my letter of intent wasn't strong enough.  I am scared but calm at the same time like maybe there is a higher purpose to this. I refused to be depressed  though . Fingers crossed for Laurier and McMaster . 

I've heard of a strange rumor that the schools prefer outsiders to insiders due to diversity. I hope this was your case and the other schools will prefer you to anyone else to work with. 

McMaster has a very late offer cycle, the only reason I heard back so soon was because my POI is the manager of a lab group I volunteer at.  I wouldn't freak out over one rejection.  I was rejected from my home school twice (McMaster), and while it definitely does suck, you honestly are better off getting experience in different schools.  You spread your wings as a researcher so to speak and have the ability to learn different theories and schools of thought that you might not have been exposed to previously.  Keep your chin up, you still have 2/3 of your places to hear back from.  Canadian schools are much slower at sending out notifications than are U.S. schools, so don't worry too much about the magical April 15th deadline, it doesn't apply to us, most of the time.

11 hours ago, ChrisTOEFert said:

McMaster has a very late offer cycle, the only reason I heard back so soon was because my POI is the manager of a lab group I volunteer at.  I wouldn't freak out over one rejection.  I was rejected from my home school twice (McMaster), and while it definitely does suck, you honestly are better off getting experience in different schools.  You spread your wings as a researcher so to speak and have the ability to learn different theories and schools of thought that you might not have been exposed to previously.  Keep your chin up, you still have 2/3 of your places to hear back from.  Canadian schools are much slower at sending out notifications than are U.S. schools, so don't worry too much about the magical April 15th deadline, it doesn't apply to us, most of the time.

Quick question: you said that McMaster has a late offer cycle . How long is that ? Is that like the end of April , May or even June . How long do you think by experience before I get a reply from the school ? Please and thank you 

On April 8, 2016 at 10:07 PM, Jojoba said:

I'm so sorry to hear this. I went to UNC and got rejected from a master's there. It definitely hurts more when it's your alma matter. I cried for so long. Don't let it get you down. There will be a program that fits you soon and you can send more apps out if you have to. Applications went so much worse than I expected they would. I got mostly rejection and waitlist. The waitlists haven't notified me and it's driving me nuts. I'm also not that enthused about the one acceptance I have and deposit is due next week!

12 hours ago, Jojoba said:

Quick question: you said that McMaster has a late offer cycle . How long is that ? Is that like the end of April , May or even June . How long do you think by experience before I get a reply from the school ? Please and thank you 

I am not entirely sure about your program, but I know for my program (Anthropology) they have yet to post anything on the results board.  I heard over a month ago from my POI, but I was in a semi-unique situation in where I am in contact with him semi-regularly and he was a letter writer for me for all of my schools.  Just doing a quick glance at the McMaster results board (http://thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=McMaster) shows very little of anything being posted from any faculty.  Of course this is biased as not everyone who applies to grad school is on this forum, so it could end up being that you see nothing about postings even long after acceptances have been doled out; it's just the luck of the draw.  I did see some postings on there from July of last year, so maybe your department is slow like that too.  I would bet end of April is my guess, if you don't hear anything by then, send them a courteous nudge email.

10 hours ago, ChrisTOEFert said:

I am not entirely sure about your program, but I know for my program (Anthropology) they have yet to post anything on the results board.  I heard over a month ago from my POI, but I was in a semi-unique situation in where I am in contact with him semi-regularly and he was a letter writer for me for all of my schools.  Just doing a quick glance at the McMaster results board (http://thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=McMaster) shows very little of anything being posted from any faculty.  Of course this is biased as not everyone who applies to grad school is on this forum, so it could end up being that you see nothing about postings even long after acceptances have been doled out; it's just the luck of the draw.  I did see some postings on there from July of last year, so maybe your department is slow like that too.  I would bet end of April is my guess, if you don't hear anything by then, send them a courteous nudge email.

Thanks I appreciate it