Hi all,

Does anyone know if Hunter accepts applicants with low undergraduate gpa's and little to no work experience in the field for the two year clinical track program? What is the minimum gpa score that has been accepted by the program? If you already got accepted, then what was your undergraduate gpa and did you have any work experience in the field? If you were invited for an interview and got rejected afterwards, then what was your undergraduate gpa, did you have field experience, and why do you think you got rejected from the program? Any info about this will be greatly appreciated. 

2 hours ago, livenlaf said:

Hi all,

Does anyone know if Hunter accepts applicants with low undergraduate gpa's and little to no work experience in the field for the two year clinical track program? What is the minimum gpa score that has been accepted by the program? If you already got accepted, then what was your undergraduate gpa and did you have any work experience in the field? If you were invited for an interview and got rejected afterwards, then what was your undergraduate gpa, did you have field experience, and why do you think you got rejected from the program? Any info about this will be greatly appreciated. 

Hi Livenlaf, I had no work or volunteer experience, but I was accepted. I have about a 3.7 GPA. I am also 54, and I know that age is actually an asset in applying to social work school. Hope that helps.

1 hour ago, RachelNYC said:

Hi Livenlaf, I had no work or volunteer experience, but I was accepted. I have about a 3.7 GPA. I am also 54, and I know that age is actually an asset in applying to social work school. Hope that helps.

Thank you, @RachelNYC I know of an applicant who was in her upper 30's who had work experience and a 3.6 gpa but did not get accepted so this confuses me even more. Do you know the stats/gpa scores of other accepted students and whether or not they had experience?

Edited by livenlaf

Just now, livenlaf said:

Thank you, @RachelNYC I know of an applicant who was in her upper 30's who had work experience and a 3.6 gpa but did not get accepted so this confuses me even more. Do you know the stats of other accepted students and whether or not they had experience?

no, sorry Livenlaf, all I know is what I read here and the experience of my friend. Have you had an interview? I thought I blew my interview, but turns out I didn't. Thinking back on the process (and of course, I have no idea if the other 7 interviewees were accepted or not, though they all seemed awesome to me) is that it seemed like the interviewer wanted to know that working with people meant something strongly and personally to us, and that we could think critically about situations, and not be closed to the particularities of those we might be working with.

23 minutes ago, RachelNYC said:

no, sorry Livenlaf, all I know is what I read here and the experience of my friend. Have you had an interview? I thought I blew my interview, but turns out I didn't. Thinking back on the process (and of course, I have no idea if the other 7 interviewees were accepted or not, though they all seemed awesome to me) is that it seemed like the interviewer wanted to know that working with people meant something strongly and personally to us, and that we could think critically about situations, and not be closed to the particularities of those we might be working with.

So I have not been invited yet and not sure if I should still expect to get invited but you say that it could still happen so I guess the wait continues. However, from what I have seen so far, it seems as though some applicants have some experience but a lower to average gpa while others have a no experience and a higher gpa which means that anything goes at this program and Hunter doesn't put too much emphasize on gpa's or experience. That only leaves the interview, so would it be fair/accurate to say that acceptance to the program boils down to what you say at the interview? 

Edited by livenlaf

• 1 month later...

I got accepted a day after my interview. I'm 22 and have an undergrad GPA of 3.3. I did however work while attending school and i interned as well.

4 hours ago, malkie said:

I got accepted a day after my interview. I'm 22 and have an undergrad GPA of 3.3. I did however work while attending school and i interned as well.

When did you interview? 

I also got accepted the next day. 

On April 14, 2016 at 4:15 PM, livenlaf said:

Hi all,

I thankfully had a GPA on the higher end, i don't know the minimum GPA. i didn't have explicit experience, just enough similar things - volunteering with special needs, hospitals, etc a lot of childcare experience and a bit of admin experience at a mental health facility. 

@malkie Yes, i am planning 

Edited by HunterGirl