NDSEG 2010

Neurone

Email from NDSEG today:

Thank you for applying to the NDSEG Fellowship Program.

Not to worry. Award announcements have not been issued yet. We plan on issuing those via e-mail late this week or early next week.

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Thanks for posting that email, xkindofbluex. I was wondering if the "first week of April" meant the first full week or the first partial week. That email helped clear it up.

I hope they come out late this week, so we don't have to wait another weekend!

Well i just got an HM from GRFP, i wonder if that knocks me out of the running for NDSEG. Does anyone know of that senario panning out?

Why would it knock you out of the running? I don't understand your reasoning.

You can get both (NSF & NDSEG) or either... the winners are chosen independently.

It just seems that the NSDSEG is more selective so if you missed your mark with the NSF then the chance of hitting it with DOD is small.

It is more selective (fewer awards given) but on the other hand the application process is different. For example, I was hit on my NSF app for not having enough methodology in my research proposal. That wouldn't be an issue with NDSEG since we didn't have to submit a proposal...

My advisor has had students who won the NDSEG before, and she calls it a "beauty contest". From day one I've said that I might actually have a better shot at NDSEG than NSF because (1) I didn't have to submit an actual proposal and (2) I have extensive volunteer/community service, some of which involved interfacing with government agencies...

One of my recommendations was 5 hours late (I was begging the prof to get it in on time earlier that day), but the website didn't indicate it being late (though it also indicated that my application was complete when I only had two recs submitted). Do you think this will take me out of the running?

One of my recommendations was 5 hours late

You know what would be awesome? If the *results* were only 5 hours late....March 29th plus 5 hours sounds pretty good right now!

If that takes you out of the running then....it's relatively ridiculous!!

One of my recommendations was 5 hours late (I was begging the prof to get it in on time earlier that day), but the website didn't indicate it being late (though it also indicated that my application was complete when I only had two recs submitted). Do you think this will take me out of the running?

I think you'll be ok. Professors are often late with letters because they know from experience that late letters almost never take anyone out of the running.

A recommender missed my deadline too - I asked them if they could accept a letter late, and this is the response I got:

We regret to inform you that we are unable to accept any more materials from applicants for this year’s NDSEG Fellowship.

Please note that your application will stilled be reviewed with just two references attached to your application.

If you have any further questions, please let us know.

Best,

The NDSEG Program Team at ASEE

A recommender missed my deadline too - I asked them if they could accept a letter late, and this is the response I got:

We regret to inform you that we are unable to accept any more materials from applicants for this year’s NDSEG Fellowship.

Please note that your application will stilled be reviewed with just two references attached to your application.

If you have any further questions, please let us know.

Best,

The NDSEG Program Team at ASEE

Did it not let him/her upload it, though? My recommender was able to upload (but it might not have notified him that it was too late)

Did it not let him/her upload it, though? My recommender was able to upload (but it might not have notified him that it was too late)

It didn't let him upload (though it was something like four weeks after the deadline, not five hours).

Does anyone know how many applicants there are typically for the NDSEG? From the website, they only award 200 fellowships each year so I am assuming that no matter what it is exceptionally competitive. Makes me think those of us that got rejected from NSF are definitely going to be dealt another rejection tomorrow.

Makes me think those of us that got rejected from NSF are definitely going to be dealt another rejection tomorrow.

On the contrary, my buddy got NDSEG last year but only HM for NSF GRFP. Furthermore, the NDSEG app says explicitly that they are interested in research of interest to them. Of course, competitive applicants will always have partially overlapping attributes, but remember: correlation does not imply causation.

I applied for the EPA STAR and was notified of acceptance yesterday (4/7). I have until 4/13 to accept, and I am hoping to hear from the DOE SCGF and NDSEG before I reply.

I have no idea what their notification schedule is - the website just says before May 31. They are moving to a two-year application cycle, so the next opportunity to apply will be in 2011.

Thanks for the insight Chessmaster and Zonko. I still think I'm going to be rejected.

Anyone here apply to the EPA STAR fellowship? I don't see a thread for it.

ughhhh anticipation! I sat here while everyone freaked out about the NSF thinking "these people really need to CHILL". And suddenly, I'm very nervous and anxious about NDSEG... any new updates on if award announcements will still come out tomorrow??

I emailed them this morning and got the following reply, looks like we're still a go for tomorrow:

Thank you for applying to the NDSEG Fellowship Program. Award announcements should be going out this Friday via e-mail, if not early next week at the very latest. Please let us know if you should have any further questions. The NDSEG Program Team at ASEE

Edited by sirenfinger12281

ooh look, 16 people reading this topic, how fun!

Let's play a game! Who wants to guess at what time the results will be released?

My guess: Monday, April 12th at 4:07pm EDT.

Whoever's closest gets bragging rights! (Sorry, no scholarship for winning this game.)