acknowledged but not an author...

graddamn

I filled out all my applications, was all set to hit the submit button, when I realized that I had forgotten/neglected to mention a publication(ish).

I worked on a project freshman year and did data coding, ran regressions, and cleaning/bibliography creation. I never mentioned this in my CV, but should I? The professor thanked me in acknowledgments, but I'm not a co-author. Is it worth it?

I filled out all my applications, was all set to hit the submit button, when I realized that I had forgotten/neglected to mention a publication(ish).

I worked on a project freshman year and did data coding, ran regressions, and cleaning/bibliography creation. I never mentioned this in my CV, but should I? The professor thanked me in acknowledgments, but I'm not a co-author. Is it worth it?

Don't mention as a publication it on your cv, it's not your publication. You could put it under research experience and describe your duties in the project. You could also mention the experience and subsequent publication in your sop and hope the adcom looks it up and sees the acknowledgment.

Edited by fuzzylogician

I would describe the work you did for the professor, but I would not refer to a specific publication.

I am in acknowledgements on an article written by a friend because I made her company while she was working on the piece. She put me down to acknowledge my emotional support. There are many ways you can make it into that section..

I wouldn't enlist it either - I've been in a number of acknowledgments for proofreading the manuscript or some little things here and there but never thought about mentioning them. They would still pop up when you google the person ;)

But I do think it's a good idea to talk about what you did for the professor as an experience...

I was an RA for a professor while she was working on her book.

I listed as work experience, listed the teachers names and then gave a few bullets

Assisted in research for her forthcoming book, blah blah blah

Searched newspaper and magazine archives from the 1950s and 1960s to discover blah blah blah

Created a bibliography on blah blah blah

But maybe that is different because she had hired me specifically to do some research for her book? I have a head cold and am pretty foggy today, so maybe I am missing something