School supplies

Oriole Doc

I saw a thread with the same title, but it was years ago so I thought maybe I would start a new one. I really liked the info regarding software, etc. that were recommended to new students like me. I have a question that feels silly, but I really would love to hear what you do. Right now when I need to study at the library or anywhere away from home, I carry my bag (purse), my school bag, which includes any paperwork I may be reading, my laptop, books, etc., and my lunch bag because I try to take food from home to eat healthier and save money. Anyway, this is a lot to carry. Once I start my PhD program, I don't want to carry all of this stuff. What do you do? Anyone have one of those rolling totes? They seem very practical, but kind of nerdy at the same time! Lol.. 

Well, most of that sounds pretty necessary. I don't take a bag anywhere (throw my wallet in my backpack) and throw lunch in a paper bag that I throw in my backpack. The downside to a rolling tote is they're hard to take on a bus/train/plane, or to walk on uneven paths with, or stairs.

On 5/25/2016 at 3:22 AM, Oriole Doc said:

I saw a thread with the same title, but it was years ago so I thought maybe I would start a new one. I really liked the info regarding software, etc. that were recommended to new students like me. I have a question that feels silly, but I really would love to hear what you do. Right now when I need to study at the library or anywhere away from home, I carry my bag (purse), my school bag, which includes any paperwork I may be reading, my laptop, books, etc., and my lunch bag because I try to take food from home to eat healthier and save money. Anyway, this is a lot to carry. Once I start my PhD program, I don't want to carry all of this stuff. What do you do? Anyone have one of those rolling totes? They seem very practical, but kind of nerdy at the same time! Lol.. 

I have my backpack which contains my laptop, money, water bottle & anything I might be needed initially. At my desk I keep relevant books, headphones, coffee, notepads, pens and pencils. I bring my lunch and snacks in every day and these go in the fridge as soon as I'm in. Making use of a desk/locker and backpack is what works for me. I mean I even have a spare change of clothes, toiletries and and shower stuff in my locker too for after the gym. One backpack does the job. 

In the grad student space of my department, each student has one shelf on which to keep their books. Since I suffered shoulder problems during undergrad from carrying around too many books, I rarely bring books home and only carry one or two at a time from the university library to my shelf. I have a Macbook Air to reduce laptop weight, and I carry it in just a sleeve rather than a proper case, also to reduce weight. Other than that, I bring my lunchbox, charger, wallet, keys, and a water bottle in my backpack. I type everything on the computer, so I don't carry notebooks or more than one or two pens. Carrying too much weight can be devastating in the long run, so make sure you aren't carrying anything around that you don't need.