History 2010

Sparky

For the Sconis out there, what are your fields and what outside funding are you applying to?

I'm doing 19th/ 20th century American financial and cultural. Funding is dicey right now but I'm not too worried. Fortunately, I have no debt coming out of undergrad and even then, based on the numbers, one semester unfunded wouldn't be too brutal, especially since it looks like I'm headed to Madison

I'm doing 19th/ 20th century American financial and cultural. Funding is dicey right now but I'm not too worried. Fortunately, I have no debt coming out of undergrad and even then, based on the numbers, one semester unfunded wouldn't be too brutal, especially since it looks like I'm headed to Madison

Would you be working with Dunlavy then?

You can make it a semester unfunded here. It can be cheap living if you make it so.

I'm looking to study the early Chinese Soviets (Jiangxi, Hailufeng, etc.). There's not exactly much of a field for that in the States (surprising, I know, :D ), so I've been settling for professors who study rural China, Republican-era political history, or media history.

I feel that UCSD has a very strong program for modern China. From what I've learned talking to professors, students, and alumni, it's a closely-knit program that stresses the fundamentals of East Asian history. The students seem very supported there and the atmosphere is very communal, both of which appeal to me. The students have a high publication rate (and, if my former professor and a current UCSD grad student are any indication, publish excellent work). They also claim to be one of the few programs that has a 100% job acceptance rate upon completion of the degree. What people have told me and what I've observed so far have left me with a good impression of the program overall. However, if you know of any skeletons in their closet, please feel free to share!

Oh no, I didn't mean to imply that UCSD's department was bad. I was commenting in terms of department prestige, which as we all know is merely one aspect of the overall strength of a department. I'm not very familiar with UCSD's department other than the published works of Esherick, hence my hesitation. For your specific interests though, I think Esherick would be well qualified to advise, and it sounds like the rest of the department is pretty great too.

Oh no, I didn't mean to imply that UCSD's department was bad. I was commenting in terms of department prestige, which as we all know is merely one aspect of the overall strength of a department. I'm not very familiar with UCSD's department other than the published works of Esherick, hence my hesitation. For your specific interests though, I think Esherick would be well qualified to advise, and it sounds like the rest of the department is pretty great too.

That's what's confusing me, to be honest: whether prestige is more important than quality of instruction. You could argue either way. And besides, who knows if it will be the same in 7 years? A lot can change by then. If I enter a program that "may" be in decline, but is still prestigious, will it have lost that prestige by the time I graduate and need to be able to count on that degree to find a job?

Congrats to the Harvard admit, btw!

Chicago admits, what are your fields?

My field is Early Modern Europe, particularly the Enlightenment and intellectual history (vive la France!) I also got an admit from Wisconsin Madison and Berkeley. I have others I'm waiting on, but already I'm afraid to make a choice between UChicago and Berkeley. Chicago's fellowship is better, though I don't know if it makes that much of a difference. If I go to Berkeley, I'd get a better angle on cultural and religious history within my concentration 'cause of advisor(s) there, while if I go to Chicago, I'd get a better angle on political economy, 'cause of my potential advisor there. I've heard stories though of Berkeley having a very fun and warm collegial environment and Chicago being a land of everyone-versus-everyone competition (and that it feels like interacting with characters from an Ayn Rand novel, which I mean in the worst possible way), so I'm leaning towards Berkeley, but will definitely allow my decision to be heavily influenced by the campus visits they've offered to fund.

I realize you didn't ask for all of that but I'm hoping to elicit horror stories and good stories from people to help give me a handle on where would be a happier place to spend my future...

I've heard stories though of Berkeley having a very fun and warm collegial environment and Chicago being a land of everyone-versus-everyone competition (and that it feels like interacting with characters from an Ayn Rand novel, which I mean in the worst possible way), so I'm leaning towards Berkeley, but will definitely allow my decision to be heavily influenced by the campus visits they've offered to fund.

I realize you didn't ask for all of that but I'm hoping to elicit horror stories and good stories from people to help give me a handle on where would be a happier place to spend my future...

I've heard similar tales, though in my field (Asian) the Berkeley faculty are known to be overworked and often too busy for students.

Both a non-Chicago faculty and my friend who once was at Chicago mentioned that departmental atmosphere was really competitive for limited funding, and that students could get really touchy about it. My friend transferred after a year to go to law school instead, and she said her top-tier law school was nowhere as viciously competitive as grad school at Chicago. Granted one person's experience may not be reflective of the general state, but sheez, Chicago, loosen up!

That's what's confusing me, to be honest: whether prestige is more important than quality of instruction. You could argue either way. And besides, who knows if it will be the same in 7 years? A lot can change by then. If I enter a program that "may" be in decline, but is still prestigious, will it have lost that prestige by the time I graduate and need to be able to count on that degree to find a job?

Congrats to the Harvard admit, btw!

Well, the way I see it is that prestige qualifies tremendously into your eventual appeal as a job candidate in 6 years when you are on the market looking for a tenure-track position. Quality of instruction matters during the 6 years and how you get to establish your candidacy. Both are important, and you'll have to see how they balance in each case.

By your program in decline reference, I can only assume you are pointing to Berkeley. While I can't predict the future, I can say that Berkeley will fight tooth and nail to prevent losing their key faculty and to continue to attract top talent. I assume you've been admitted, so you should see some of this on visit day next month. I'm pretty sure the department chair (Prof Berry, who also happens to be an East Asian historian) will be very willing to discuss her views.

I've heard similar tales, though in my field (Asian) the Berkeley faculty are known to be overworked and often too busy for students.

There is actually a lot of truth behind this, but it's very largely tied to the role that Asian historians (both East and South & SE Asian) have as dual-appointments in history and EALC or SSEAS, and work in places like IEAS, etc. It essentially doubles their administrative and advisee workload. I very much doubt you'll see this in Early Modern Europe.

My field is Early Modern Europe, particularly the Enlightenment and intellectual history (vive la France!) I also got an admit from Wisconsin Madison and Berkeley. I have others I'm waiting on, but already I'm afraid to make a choice between UChicago and Berkeley. Chicago's fellowship is better, though I don't know if it makes that much of a difference. If I go to Berkeley, I'd get a better angle on cultural and religious history within my concentration 'cause of advisor(s) there, while if I go to Chicago, I'd get a better angle on political economy, 'cause of my potential advisor there. I've heard stories though of Berkeley having a very fun and warm collegial environment and Chicago being a land of everyone-versus-everyone competition (and that it feels like interacting with characters from an Ayn Rand novel, which I mean in the worst possible way), so I'm leaning towards Berkeley, but will definitely allow my decision to be heavily influenced by the campus visits they've offered to fund.

I'm at Berkeley and love it - the atmosphere is as you describe, and it's a great place to live. Feel free to PM me if you have questions.

Chicago admits, what are your fields?

East Asian, modern Japan in particular. It's my first admit and one I very much wanted (so just to avoid sounding to conflicted, this is my real feeling about the letter: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!), but the horror stories of competition here are worrying me a bit. I have a great impression of Chicago for Japan studies in particular from my undergrad adviser, who did her Phd with someone who's still there, but of course one professor or two professors don't make a department. Wish I could get to the visiting day, but there's no way I can afford to travel from Japan. Hmm.

East Asian, modern Japan in particular. It's my first admit and one I very much wanted (so just to avoid sounding to conflicted, this is my real feeling about the letter: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!), but the horror stories of competition here are worrying me a bit. I have a great impression of Chicago for Japan studies in particular from my undergrad adviser, who did her Phd with someone who's still there, but of course one professor or two professors don't make a department. Wish I could get to the visiting day, but there's no way I can afford to travel from Japan. Hmm.

I'm in the same boat. It's going to be really hard to make my decision without seeing the schools. I guess we'll both be on Skype a lot in the next couple of months, :D !

If you don't mind sharing, could you please post your stats? I had applied to Chicago intellectual history as well, apparently with less auspicious results.

If you don't mind sharing, could you please post your stats? I had applied to Chicago intellectual history as well, apparently with less auspicious results.

I'm new here and also a Chicago admit (i'm a foreigner). With stats do you mean GRE/GPA? I might be naive, but my assumption is that those hardly make a difference - am I right?

I have two questions..

First, does anyone of you know the source of that impression of Chicago as a very competitive environment? can anyone share perhaps from his own personal experiences?

Second, if some of you have more than one choice - what factors do you take into account in deciding (other than purely academic)? I got positive answers also from Duke and JHU - and am really having a hard time sorting it out in my mind. What factors would you consider most pertinent?

Thanks!

I also was admitted to Chicago today, I'm in 20th century Germany and would love to talk to anyone at Chicago.

I asked my potential advisor about the competitive reputation, and she said that it used to be the case, but now that everyone is guaranteed full funding, the department is a lot more collegial. But who knows--does anyone actually have first-hand experience with the place?

(And will I be seeing anyone else at History Day?)

Are there any Americanists among the Chicago admits?

I noticed you were also accepted to Minnesota. Have you received any other contact from them yet? My email said information was coming in a few days, but that was over a week ago now.

I noticed you were also accepted to Minnesota. Have you received any other contact from them yet? My email said information was coming in a few days, but that was over a week ago now.

My potential adviser got in touch with me about a week after my admittance, but I haven't received any of the promised info on funding or visiting. On the bright side (or, what I tell myself when the wait puts me on edge): we are very fortunate to be waiting to find out how much funding, rather than if we will receive it at all.

And congrats for the acceptance!

I am really depressed about Chicago. That was a super good fit for me. I wish I could get some good news sometime soon, because this is just miserable.

Cheer up--it looks like you've already been accepted at two schools :)

My potential adviser got in touch with me about a week after my admittance, but I haven't received any of the promised info on funding or visiting. On the bright side (or, what I tell myself when the wait puts me on edge): we are very fortunate to be waiting to find out how much funding, rather than if we will receive it at all.

And congrats for the acceptance!

Congrats to you as well...there aren't many that got accepted to Minnesota, apparently.

My potential advisor has not contacted me, which is really freaking me out. I have two admits and nobody has said a peep to me. I feel very unwanted in some strange way, even though I've been accepted.

Minnesota's funding does seem to be pretty solid if you get some kinds of fellowships, but I have no idea what the "standard" package might be. Some state schools seem to go pretty low on stipends, like $12,000-$15,000, which would be really hard to manage.

The other strange thing is that my potential advisor would be on leave the first year I was there, if I attended. I thought usually professors who were on leave did not even accept students for that year?

Cheer up--it looks like you've already been accepted at two schools :)

Yes, in that sense, I do have something to be happy about. But neither school has contacted me, which worries me quite a bit. I feel like if they really wanted me (i.e. they were going to try to get me good funding) that they would have made contact by now. With Wisconsin especially that scares me because some people get nothing.

If I could have one piece of information in hand (other than my definitive rejection from Yale), that would help so much.

What about tuition? That's expensive, right?

It depends. Tuition varies according to residency (resident, non-resident, or Minnesotan) and how many credits you're taking. Right now (Spring 2010) for residents, it's $659.11 for the first credit, plus $657.11 for every credit after that, up to a maximum of $5258.88. Non-residents pay $1568.78 for the first credit, plus $1566.78 for every credit after that up to a maximum of $12536.24. Minnesotans pay $766.13 for the first credit, $764.13 for every credit after that, a maximum of $6115.04. And everyone pays segregated fees: $65.38 for the first credit, $63.38 after that, up to $509.04.

Hope that helps.