History 2010

Sparky

<br /><br /><br />

:( :( Great, another weekend of suspense. I wonder why they're deciding so late this year. Is it a funding issue, do people think?

Couldn't be worse than last year? If you look at the history, they're still within their usual timeframe, maybe just a day or two off. Guess they wanted the weekend to mull over things? ... or maybe not! :P

:( :( Great, another weekend of suspense. I wonder why they're deciding so late this year. Is it a funding issue, do people think?

Perhaps? According to my sources, the application review committees actually started to meet at the very beginning of January, much earlier than most other institutions.

To put that in perspective, Yale didn't start to meet until a good 2 or 3 weeks later, and their results were out last week. Granted, Yale's history dept is smaller.

I wonder if Harvard is waiting until next week because they got an unusual amount of applications? If you figure that they were getting between something like 350-400 a few years ago, I bet there were almost 500 this year, given how many people up and decided to go to grad school, regardless of their chances of getting in.

By the way, those number are just pure guesses based on the what I've read online, etc.

I wonder if Harvard is waiting until next week because they got an unusual amount of applications? If you figure that they were getting between something like 350-400 a few years ago, I bet there were almost 500 this year, given how many people up and decided to go to grad school, regardless of their chances of getting in.

By the way, those number are just pure guesses based on the what I've read online, etc.

You're probably not that far off from the truth, either. I think they had close to that number last year.

Hi guys,

If you had to choose between UCB, UCLA, and UCI, which one would you choose? (For Asian History or just in general.)

Easy. FOLLOW THE MONEY. Especially for the UC system.

Hi guys,

If you had to choose between UCB, UCLA, and UCI, which one would you choose? (For Asian History or just in general.)

Should funding not be a point of divergence or consideration, I'd go UCB. Berkeley-San Francisco is so much nicer than LA or Irvine, plus you can tap into resources at Stanford, too.

<br />Hi guys,<br /><br />If you had to choose between UCB, UCLA, and UCI, which one would you choose? (For Asian History or just in general.)<br />

East Asian history? To be honest, it depends on your discipline and depends on the professors. I've unfortunately been told that Bekeley's East Asian history department is not as good as it once was . . . but I have no personal knowledge of it as I've never been there. And "not as good as it once was" could still mean a lot better than most schools. I don't know anything about UCLA or UCI, so I wouldn't be able to tell you if they honestly had better programs. However, I'm slowly becoming convinced that UCSD's modern Chinese history program beats out Berkeley's . . . but I would say for UCLA and UCI it might depend on your specialty.

Do your research, talk with professors, talk with students, and in the end . . . follow your gut. That's my plan so far, :D !

Hi guys,

Which country are you studying, specifically? Asian history is very large, and most programs will force you to specify a specific country (i.e. China, Japan, etc.)

East Asian history? To be honest, it depends on your discipline and depends on the professors. I've unfortunately been told that Bekeley's East Asian history department is not as good as it once was . . . but I have no personal knowledge of it as I've never been there. And "not as good as it once was" could still mean a lot better than most schools. I don't know anything about UCLA or UCI, so I wouldn't be able to tell you if they honestly had better programs. However, I'm slowly becoming convinced that UCSD's modern Chinese history program beats out Berkeley's . . . but I would say for UCLA and UCI it might depend on your specialty.

Do your research, talk with professors, talk with students, and in the end . . . follow your gut. That's my plan so far, :D !

Berkeley's East Asian history has declined due to a few renowned professors passing away or retiring but they are still very set on maintaining their prestige. UCI and UCLA are also very strong in East Asian history, so I'd say it depends on one's specific interests. However, for modern China, I'm not quite sure I agree with you on UCSD. What do you study specifically in modern China? Of UCSD's faculty I would only say Esherick is particularly famous.

Berkeley's East Asian history has declined due to a few renowned professors passing away or retiring but they are still very set on maintaining their prestige. UCI and UCLA are also very strong in East Asian history, so I'd say it depends on one's specific interests. However, for modern China, I'm not quite sure I agree with you on UCSD. What do you study specifically in modern China? Of UCSD's faculty I would only say Esherick is particularly famous.

I'm looking to study the early Chinese Soviets (Jiangxi, Hailufeng, etc.). There's not exactly much of a field for that in the States (surprising, I know, :D ), so I've been settling for professors who study rural China, Republican-era political history, or media history.

I feel that UCSD has a very strong program for modern China. From what I've learned talking to professors, students, and alumni, it's a closely-knit program that stresses the fundamentals of East Asian history. The students seem very supported there and the atmosphere is very communal, both of which appeal to me. The students have a high publication rate (and, if my former professor and a current UCSD grad student are any indication, publish excellent work). They also claim to be one of the few programs that has a 100% job acceptance rate upon completion of the degree. What people have told me and what I've observed so far have left me with a good impression of the program overall. However, if you know of any skeletons in their closet, please feel free to share!

Also finding the same thing at Northwestern. But no one has come on here and admitted to being one of the people admitted to Northwestern. Could be a false positive.

Hey, after Princeton I need the naive hope.

Got unofficial and unfortunately very reliable news from Brown and Duke last week. Sorry for the late post. It took me a week to emotionally process the conversation. I needed to let the bitterness fade. I'm looking at rejections from both schools. Apparently, Brown is only making five total offers this year. All five are split between the Americanists and Europeanists. Duke on the other hand made offers to a much larger class of Latin Americanists than usual. I just didn't make the cut/fit. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news about Brown. Since these were the two schools I thought I had the best shot at, I'm looking at getting swept this season. F$%##%$$%! I know the two rejections are slowly creeping their way towards me but I'm still vainly hoping for an eleventh hour reprieve, which ain't coming. UGHHHH! This sucks! Any word on details from the Northwestern admits? Field? How big is the projected class? Anything? Good luck and godspeed to everyone.

Also finding the same thing at Northwestern. But no one has come on here and admitted to being one of the people admitted to Northwestern. Could be a false positive.

Hey, after Princeton I need the naive hope.

I'm not sure about the others, but I'm a would-be Americanist and one of the admits at Northwestern. When I logged in this morning the link said: "Decision Status: Available beginning 2/12/2010". Maybe they're releasing decisions by field?

Best of luck to you, RockEater.

Got unofficial and unfortunately very reliable news from Brown and Duke last week. Sorry for the late post. It took me a week to emotionally process the conversation. I needed to let the bitterness fade. I'm looking at rejections from both schools. Apparently, Brown is only making five total offers this year. All five are split between the Americanists and Europeanists. Duke on the other hand made offers to a much larger class of Latin Americanists than usual. I just didn't make the cut/fit. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news about Brown. Since these were the two schools I thought I had the best shot at, I'm looking at getting swept this season. F$%##%$%! I know the two rejections are slowly creeping their way towards me but I'm still vainly hoping for an eleventh hour reprieve, which ain't coming. UGHHHH! This sucks! Any word on details from the Northwestern admits? Field? How big is the projected class? Anything? Good luck and godspeed to everyone.

I'm sorry about the bad news Boogs. Did Brown, by any chance, mention when they were going to notify everyone?