History 2010

Sparky

A wet bar!!! Brownies!!! YES! But tbh I probably won't pm you until I know for sure about the funding... then I'll want to hear allll about Pitt because it's where I'll end up. I'd hate to get my hopes up about it and hear that I'm not going to be able to go. I was told that my chances for funding were "very high", but I still hate waiting. Hopefully I'll be seeing you in the fall!

don't get too excited, the wet bar probably won't happen and our grad lounge doesn't even have windows, but we're supposed to get new computers next year, which is a big deal considering only one of them actually works right now. :lol: the brownies are for real, though. and they were delicious.

i hope the department can get your funding together, it would be nice to have you around in the fall. good luck!

I applied to BC for a phd and have not heard anything since all of my materials were submitted.

I exchanged a few emails with my PA there about some research I'm doing back in january and he said that I wouldn't hear anything until mid-March

Has anyone heard anything about USC? There were a couple acceptances in mid-February, but since then the news has been pretty silent. I saw that a couple of applicants have received something about financial aid recently, but no affirmation was sent from the department directly. The trend on the results page shows that the majority of applicants are usually admitted in early to mid February...

Anyway, would anyone like to claim the USC admits? Thanks

Has anyone heard anything about USC? There were a couple acceptances in mid-February, but since then the news has been pretty silent. I saw that a couple of applicants have received something about financial aid recently, but no affirmation was sent from the department directly. The trend on the results page shows that the majority of applicants are usually admitted in early to mid February...

Anyway, would anyone like to claim the USC admits? Thanks

I would like to know the same thing! USC is where I would love to go, but aside from one of the financial aid postcards I received, I haven't heard any updates.

I would like to know the same thing! USC is where I would love to go, but aside from one of the financial aid postcards I received, I haven't heard any updates.

I just don't know if everyone receives them, or if they are sent to all the applicants that are in their database. Crossing my fingers for you though :)

I just don't know if everyone receives them, or if they are sent to all the applicants that are in their database. Crossing my fingers for you though :)

Here is a blurb about USC from another forum - it may answer some questions about their weird ways

Back in the late 60s/early 70s, the then-president of the UC system Sproul went along with the then-GE model of doing business, which was to split everything up into semi-autonomous spheres in order to allow creativity and localized attention (a very 60s idea that was popular in lots of industry settings). The problem is that he did it wrong and never made communication lines running through these spheres to the top, and today most UCs are fractured bureaucratic fiefdoms with no one answering to anyone else.

As a result, there is no consistent answer to any question about UC schools, or even departments within particular schools. My department (not a natural science, either) has enough money from endowed chairs and federal grants to be doing just fine, ignoring the mandatory staff firings, hiring several faculty last year, and keeping grad numbers up. Other departments are facing 50% cuts in funding by next year, with staff cuts, hiring freezes, and sharply cut enrollments.

Edited by Joe Lordan

Here is a blurb about USC from another forum - it may answer some questions about their weird ways

Back in the late 60s/early 70s, the then-president of the UC system Sproul went along with the then-GE model of doing business, which was to split everything up into semi-autonomous spheres in order to allow creativity and localized attention (a very 60s idea that was popular in lots of industry settings). The problem is that he did it wrong and never made communication lines running through these spheres to the top, and today most UCs are fractured bureaucratic fiefdoms with no one answering to anyone else.

As a result, there is no consistent answer to any question about UC schools, or even departments within particular schools. My department (not a natural science, either) has enough money from endowed chairs and federal grants to be doing just fine, ignoring the mandatory staff firings, hiring several faculty last year, and keeping grad numbers up. Other departments are facing 50% cuts in funding by next year, with staff cuts, hiring freezes, and sharply cut enrollments.

That seems to reflect my experience so far... I would take it then that no word is a bad sign...sad!

USC is not a UC school.

I called and asked. The Financial Aid flyer they weren't sure about (in the Office of Admissions), but after reviewing my application status, the gal said that there was "no decision" and that everyone should know by April 1st.

I got one of those fin aid cards too...Nothing else from USC.

Long-time reader, first-time poster here. My field is U.S. urban history.

I received a call from CUNY today with a fellowship offer. They are calling admitted students to gauge their interest in the program, as they have limited funding and are only extending official offers to serious applicants. So if you are still waiting to hear from CUNY, don't assume you've been rejected.

The news for Rutgers, however, is not as positive. Their admitted student day was two weeks ago, so I would assume that they have extended all of their offers. I don't know if they have a waiting list this year.

I got the emailed acceptance from CUNY (sans funding info) but no phone call to gauge my interest or offer a fellowship. Is this a Wisconsin kind of scenario?

So, who else is almost done hearing from the schools they applied too? I only have three left, Georgia, Boston College, and the now apparent UNC rejection. Short of a making a pair of campus visits (including the Wisconsin recruitment weekend), I'm about ready to make up my mind. Anybody else on the precipice of making a decision or already has made a decision?

So, who else is almost done hearing from the schools they applied too? I only have three left, Georgia, Boston College, and the now apparent UNC rejection. Short of a making a pair of campus visits (including the Wisconsin recruitment weekend), I'm about ready to make up my mind. Anybody else on the precipice of making a decision or already has made a decision?

I've heard back from all the places I applied...but since I was pretty much just wait listed (I'm still not counting Wisconsin, but I, too, will be going to the Recruitment Weekend!), I still have a few weeks to wait before I find out where I'm going (if I'm going anywhere). So those of you that have made decisions, notify notify notify!!

I was thinking I might visit the places I've been wait listed, just in case I *do* get accepted and have to make a super quick decision. But somehow doing that feels presumptuous... and also I don't want to get my hopes up. Any suggestions?

I've heard back from all the places I applied...but since I was pretty much just wait listed (I'm still not counting Wisconsin, but I, too, will be going to the Recruitment Weekend!), I still have a few weeks to wait before I find out where I'm going (if I'm going anywhere). So those of you that have made decisions, notify notify notify!!

I was thinking I might visit the places I've been wait listed, just in case I *do* get accepted and have to make a super quick decision. But somehow doing that feels presumptuous... and also I don't want to get my hopes up. Any suggestions?

I think visiting schools you've been wait listed at is a really good idea if its convenient. At the bare minimum it will show those schools you are really interested so if a spot opens up, they might give you preference. But yeah, I can see how could be really soul crushing if a spot doesn't open up

I got the emailed acceptance from CUNY (sans funding info) but no phone call to gauge my interest or offer a fellowship. Is this a Wisconsin kind of scenario?

CUNY does not fund the entire incoming cohort, not even close. If you have heard no word of funding, assume you didn't get it.

I've been waiting on Columbia alone for more than a month now, and have given up on it for good. The official rejection letter can take all the time in the world it wants (and, apparently, it is).

Am trying to come to a decision this or next week, since I know there is a waitlist at at least one of my offers, which could make someone else very very happy.

I am on a waitlist, unfortunately. Guess I will give it another couple of weeks or something.

Here is some insider information about California schools from a well-known mentor of mine (she's well known in the Medieval circuit, specifically queens):

She was at a conference over the weekend and some of my colleagues in the Cal system who were lamenting about the state of grad admissions. One noted that there are over 40 faculty members in the department and only slots for 8 (!) grad students to be funded. The battle in the faculty meeting on admissions was clearly fierce and not easily resolved. More schools are wanting all Ph.D. candidate to move from entrance to PhD in hand in 6 years, and they are not offering reading courses in modern languages for the qualifying exams, which mean if candidates don't have languages in hand (and can pass the test ASAP), they're not being considered viable.

She also noted that if you haven't heard, likely, it is a good thing because the competition is fierce.

Here is some insider information about California schools from a well-known mentor of mine (she's well known in the Medieval circuit, specifically queens):

She was at a conference over the weekend and some of my colleagues in the Cal system who were lamenting about the state of grad admissions. One noted that there are over 40 faculty members in the department and only slots for 8 (!) grad students to be funded. The battle in the faculty meeting on admissions was clearly fierce and not easily resolved. More schools are wanting all Ph.D. candidate to move from entrance to PhD in hand in 6 years, and they are not offering reading courses in modern languages for the qualifying exams, which mean if candidates don't have languages in hand (and can pass the test ASAP), they're not being considered viable.

She also noted that if you haven't heard, likely, it is a good thing because the competition is fierce.

Thanks for the info... that's what I'm trying to reassure myself with for the last history PhD program that I'm waiting for (the other two are interdisciplinary). It's just hard to believe that it's MARCH. :blink: And I'm looking at my calendar and thinking, "Damn, Passover and Easter fall on the first weekend of April and programs would be stupid to do a visit weekend the weekend AFTER because that's just right before the April 15th deadline..."

And yes, I have to agree with the reading courses...

Received a rejection from USC yesterday through the mail. I applied with a Modern Germany history concentration, and although I spoke with my potential adviser regarding his undertaking of this project prior to applying, it seems that the fit just wasn't there. Having a fully funded acceptance, however, does help when coping with a rejection.

Received a rejection from USC yesterday through the mail. I applied with a Modern Germany history concentration, and although I spoke with my potential adviser regarding his undertaking of this project prior to applying, it seems that the fit just wasn't there. Having a fully funded acceptance, however, does help when coping with a rejection.

May I ask where you live? This is my first choice, and would love to know when the later was dated, etc. Sorry I don't want to pester, and CONGRATS on your funded acceptance! That's the dream :)