History 2010

Sparky

You can call the grad secretary at OSU and she'll tell you. That's how I found out.

Oh geez, I'm both happy and nauseous to find that out. Do you mean Joby or? Did you just ask straight-up or round-about it? Hope you don't mind me asking all of these questions :) Thanks so much for the reply!

Oh geez, I'm both happy and nauseous to find that out. Do you mean Joby or? Did you just ask straight-up or round-about it? Hope you don't mind me asking all of these questions :) Thanks so much for the reply!

Yup, if you call or email Joby she'll tell you. Though we totally didn't tell you that ;) Good luck!

Yup, if you call or email Joby she'll tell you. Though we totally didn't tell you that ;) Good luck!

I'm trying to build up the courage to call, although I might chicken out and e-mail! I figure just putting the questions straight is best, right? I won't tell, I promise! :)

This week has been nuts with all of the rejections for me. I can't believe I started out with two acceptances and a fellowship, and now have received 5 rejections in a row. Oh, well. Life goes on.

I feel much the same, and am in a similar situation--2/5 rejections are actually applications sent down to Masters programs, but that still means being turned down by a program I wanted to go to. Those earlier rejections/transfers did come with a bit of personalized feedback, which made them less soulsucking than the generic letters I've had this week.

Acceptances first is maybe less depressing overall, but it gives you way too much time to build the other places up in your mind rather than being grateful for what you get. In a way I wish it were possible to save all the decisions up and open them at once (glad I didn't try--not that I'd have succeeded!--because of things like fellowship deadlines and visiting weekends, but I wish it were possible). One big day of anxiety, followed by a few of dancing/moping/whatever, and then I could get on with planning my life. Sigh.

Would also have been nice to know for sure that this year would be at least as terrible economically for grad admissions as I suspected, but I suppose even universities may not have known that back in November.

I'm trying to build up the courage to call, although I might chicken out and e-mail! I figure just putting the questions straight is best, right? I won't tell, I promise! :)

I think that sounds like the best idea! She's pretty fast on email. I would just ask it straight, and maybe apologize for bothering her? Although honestly I'm sure she is getting so many inquiries that it doesn't bother her at all.

Earlyamericanist: out of curiosity, what is your focus within early America?

We seem to share schools and potentially a few advisors, is why I'm asking.

I've been working on women and religion, particularly in Puritan New England. It seems like there aren't that many active early Americanists anymore... Most of the giants have retired (or soon will) and the younger scholars are focusing more on the South or Transatlantic. Is that your sense as well?

So, I'm just curious how others are dealing with the general bleakness of the history situation and the funding issues this year.

Do we take what we can get?

Do we try to make it work on no funding for the first year?

Do we go get adjunct work or something else and try to "ride out" the economy until we can apply again in more favorable circumstances?

Should we bother trying next year?

I cannot imagine doing anything else than studying what I love, but this whole process has shattered my (already pessimistic) expectations.

I've been working on women and religion, particularly in Puritan New England. It seems like there aren't that many active early Americanists anymore... Most of the giants have retired (or soon will) and the younger scholars are focusing more on the South or Transatlantic. Is that your sense as well?

I feel that tension as well. Especially with the generation of Stout, Holifield, Hall, et. all retiring. Luckily, I'm generally morphing into a transatlantic individual, and I am interested in the broader correlation to larger intellectual trends during the early republic, so there are enough advisors for that.

I think that sounds like the best idea! She's pretty fast on email. I would just ask it straight, and maybe apologize for bothering her? Although honestly I'm sure she is getting so many inquiries that it doesn't bother her at all.

That's exactly what I did! I just got off the phone and it's a yes!! I need a beer. Thanks so much for letting me know this, otherwise I would have waited for even longer! :lol:

So, I'm just curious how others are dealing with the general bleakness of the history situation and the funding issues this year.

Do we go get adjunct work or something else and try to "ride out" the economy until we can apply again in more favorable circumstances?

I cannot imagine doing anything else than studying what I love, but this whole process has shattered my (already pessimistic) expectations.

Unfortunately, there are very few ways to make this academia thing work, and unfortunately whether or not you're on a trajectory towards success in academia begins to be determined even before this grad app process begins. When I was an undergrad I did not do those things required to get into good grad programs. I applied anyway and didn't get in anywhere. After a few years of working I then made the choice to be that 2% that make it. I spent a year studying for the GREs, I went back to school in order to get fresh and better academic recommendations, I worked on my writing sample for six months, and I did not apply to PhD programs next time around. I applied to MA programs which promised to be good stepping stones to better PhD programs. I think the MA step was critical because there is no way someone straight out of undergrad has any idea what the state of their field is, what the important questions are, where the gaps are that you can fill in with your research, etc. Yes, it delayed the process by two years, but it made all the difference because my current application doesn't reflect what I'm interested in studying as a student, but rather what I'm going to contribute to the field as a professional. Though I didn't get into Yale, I have been accepted to the top program in my field and one of the top grad programs in the country. I've interviewed at another top program and got accepted into all my safety schools. All fully funded.

All of this is to say that academia is highly competitive and unless you know that you are doing what it takes to be in the top 2% rather than just hoping, then you are going to have a happier, more fulfilling, more fiscally secure life if you move on elsewhere. Read the forums in the chronicle for higher education is you want proof.

That's exactly what I did! I just got off the phone and it's a yes!! I need a beer. Thanks so much for letting me know this, otherwise I would have waited for even longer! :lol:

Congratulations! I can feel your excitement through the internet!

There's been a lot of debate on this forum about whether you should pay your own way and what effect that may have on securing future funding or job prospects. I admit I'm no expert on that but speaking as someone with a law degree the truth is everyone besides phds pays their own way. Sure I had a tuition scholarship but I still borrowed about $18K a year to pay living expenses. No law, med, or business school that I'm aware of will cover that. Because I already have so much debt I dont really want to take on any more. But if that weren't the case & a phd is what I really wanted then I'd be willing to do what I have to in order to reach my ultimate goal.

Unfortunately, there are very few ways to make this academia thing work, and unfortunately whether or not you're on a trajectory towards success in academia begins to be determined even before this grad app process begins. When I was an undergrad I did not do those things required to get into good grad programs. I applied anyway and didn't get in anywhere. After a few years of working I then made the choice to be that 2% that make it. I spent a year studying for the GREs, I went back to school in order to get fresh and better academic recommendations, I worked on my writing sample for six months, and I did not apply to PhD programs next time around. I applied to MA programs which promised to be good stepping stones to better PhD programs. I think the MA step was critical because there is no way someone straight out of undergrad has any idea what the state of their field is, what the important questions are, where the gaps are that you can fill in with your research, etc. Yes, it delayed the process by two years, but it made all the difference because my current application doesn't reflect what I'm interested in studying as a student, but rather what I'm going to contribute to the field as a professional. Though I didn't get into Yale, I have been accepted to the top program in my field and one of the top grad programs in the country. I've interviewed at another top program and got accepted into all my safety schools. All fully funded.

All of this is to say that academia is highly competitive and unless you know that you are doing what it takes to be in the top 2% rather than just hoping, then you are going to have a happier, more fulfilling, more fiscally secure life if you move on elsewhere. Read the forums in the chronicle for higher education is you want proof.

Well, I am coming straight from undergrad and have been accepted into two top-15 PhD programs, but only one is fully funded. The problem for me isn't so much choosing which one to go to, but rather it's choosing whether I should go for an MA at a different university first. Like you, I also think that getting an MA from a well-reputed program might improve my chances for admission into higher ranked programs, but the fact that I have one offer from a top-15 makes this an extremely difficult decision. A PhD is my ultimate choice, but this MA program is at one of the best universities in the world...

Well, I am coming straight from undergrad and have been accepted into two top-15 PhD programs, but only one is fully funded. The problem for me isn't so much choosing which one to go to, but rather it's choosing whether I should go for an MA at a different university first. Like you, I also think that getting an MA from a well-reputed program might improve my chances for admission into higher ranked programs, but the fact that I have one offer from a top-15 makes this an extremely difficult decision. A PhD is my ultimate choice, but this MA program is at one of the best universities in the world...

It's just my own opinion, but top 15 is pretty darn high up there. I would not really hold my breath (and maybe pay for an MA) for something higher than that. Since one is funded, that is even better. I'm assuming there must be some reason the funded program isn't really capturing your heart?

It's very complicated. I love everything about the PhD program - the faculty, the grad students, the location. They are also offering me a fellowship on top of the full tuition, so I feel very lucky to have this offer, but my parents and even a few former professors are pushing me to go to the MA program. Part of the thing is that I am coming from a large public school, and the this PhD program is also at a big public schools, so some people are saying that if I want to teach at a decent place I should go to the elite, private MA school. It's a really tough decision, but I feel very fortunate to be making a decision like this. Still, I am absolutely terrified of making a decision which I will regret later on.

Well, I found out about 45 minutes ago that I was accepted into Ohio State. I am stoked!!! I had wondered for a while because my application status had been changed from "evaluation" to "academic review" to the much-ambiguous "referred" status about two and a half weeks ago. But I left it alone not wanting to be too presumptuous. I finally worked up the fortitude to call today after seeing that so many people had called and been informed of their status. Well, I was told I was admitted a while ago and should have received the information from the graduate school. I have been admitted with full funding for four years with an option for a fifth plus a nice stipend each year. I am also up for a university fellowship that will prevent me from having to teach in my first few years. This is absolutely great news!

So, now I must sit back and wait to hear from Yale (African-American Studies/History) and Michigan (History; American Culture). But it is at least great knowing that I have a place to conduct doctoral work.

It's very complicated. I love everything about the PhD program - the faculty, the grad students, the location. They are also offering me a fellowship on top of the full tuition, so I feel very lucky to have this offer, but my parents and even a few former professors are pushing me to go to the MA program. Part of the thing is that I am coming from a large public school, and the this PhD program is also at a big public schools, so some people are saying that if I want to teach at a decent place I should go to the elite, private MA school. It's a really tough decision, but I feel very fortunate to be making a decision like this. Still, I am absolutely terrified of making a decision which I will regret later on.

Again, just my own personal opinion, but don't listen to everyone else. Opportunities to get into a top-15 program might only get worse, and yes, you might be more qualified after a Master's, but then you just move up a couple of slots in the rankings. Places like Wisconsin and Michigan seem to have just as much prestige as some of the Ivies in terms of history programs.

I'm lucky (maybe?) that I don't even have to deal with funding issues, since so far I've been rejected by every school I've applied to. I only have two more programs to hear back from. I know for certain that one of them doesn't offer funding of any sort, besides a small scholarship that covers about half of the tuition cost for one semester. The other does funding, but I don't know if they do any for MA students.

Plan B is impossible to execute, since I have been unable to find a new job in a different city for over two months now. The job I have right now, in a city I hate, is going to end in a few months (our plant is shutting down). These next two months are going to be a lot of fun for me. I'm going to be jobless for sure and maybe homeless.

I don't know if I'm going to bother doing this again next year. If I do, I'm not going to waste my time applying to PhD programs. I know I'm not competitive enough for any of them. I'll find four or five MA programs I like, apply to those, and see what happens. I know for certain I am not doing this again a third year, so I hope something works out this year or the next if I decide to do that.

In the meantime, I'm going to hope that I can find funding for my own life.

Not sure if there are any other Maryland applicants out there, but the AdCom is still meeting and won't be snail mailing out decisions till the first or second week of March. Hopefully the snow will leave us the hell alone for a while :D

Congrats on your admit to OSU! Did you apply to any other AfAm studies programs besides Yale? I did all history programs and just 1 AfAm studies. Someone started a forum but there weren't many replies. What are your interests? Mine is legal history--race & poverty. Yale has a great program but I doubt I would get in so why waste $95 right?

Edited by outlawesq

That is great news! Congratulations!

Thanks so much!

Congrats on your admit to OSU! Did you apply to any other AfAm studies programs besides Yale? I did all history programs and just 1 AfAm studies. Someone started a forum but there weren't many replies. What are your interests? Mine is legal history--race & poverty. Yale has a great program but I doubt I would get in so why waste $95 right?

Thank you. Yes, Yale is the only African-American studies program to which I applied. My area of focus is 20th century African-American social history with an emphasis on northern race relations (via the intersection of race and sports). I agree with you on Yale--it is a great program, and any of us would be both ecstatic and honored if we are able go gain admission. On the other hand, we recognize that applying to Yale is like playing the lottery. You could be wasting your dollar, or in this case $95. But then again, you could end up gaining millions, or in this case, admission into arguably the best program available in your field. So, I put $95 into the hat, and I am praying that I get in.

After a few years of working I then made the choice to be that 2% that make it. I spent a year studying for the GREs, I went back to school in order to get fresh and better academic recommendations, I worked on my writing sample for six months, and I did not apply to PhD programs next time around. I applied to MA programs which promised to be good stepping stones to better PhD programs. I think the MA step was critical because there is no way someone straight out of undergrad has any idea what the state of their field is, what the important questions are, where the gaps are that you can fill in with your research, etc. Yes, it delayed the process by two years, but . . . .

Two comments: First, to suggest that only 2% of applicants can get into a decent Ph.D. program is just patently false. Example: Stanford is the top history department in the country (tied with a couple others), and the most selective, and as to Americanists -- by far the most popular and most competitive field -- they accepted over 3% this year, and wait listed a couple more -- this, in a year where the number of spaces is the smallest ever due to the economy. But that's the MOST rigorous it gets. Further down the line, take a place like BU, whose acceptance rate in the graduate History department as of a couple years ago, was over 40 percent! (Not sure how many of those were offered funding.) Granted, this year things are worse because the money's tight, and the pool is larger than ever. But 2% is pure hyperbole, and you are discouraging many people on this board with such comments.

Second, for all the time you spent learning esoteric vocabulary and other useless standardized test tricks for the GRE, and otherwise doing everything in your power to coddle and impress anonymous, pointy-headed academics sitting on some stiff admissions committee -- most of whom, let's face it, history will promptly forget -- you could have written two dissertations and made history yourself.

Please don't take this the wrong way. I am just trying to give people some perspective. These adcomms are not the arbiters of your worth and abilities. Where you get your Ph.D. -- and, indeed, whether or not you get your PhD in the first instance -- do not matter. One of our greatest and most respected historians, Joyce Appleby, did not go to a top school. Many others -- David McCullough, Parrington, Ron Chernow -- never wasted time getting a Ph.D. Going even further, one of the greatest and most trenchant thinkers and writers of the 20th century, Eric Hoffer -- who, by the way, taught at Berkeley, received the presidential medal of freedom from Ronald Reagan and was well-respected throughout academia -- never graduated from high school! Hoffer did it with a few library cards.

Getting into Yale, Harvard, Princeton, or Stanford is far more likely to make you lazy and complacent as you rest on your laurels. To be a great historian, you need to be HUNGRY! Those places will not make you hungry. I have a friend who got into a tippy-top graduate humanities program and then proceeded to spend the next 6 years of his life doing pretty much nothing, except lusting after undergraduates and (on worse days) cougars who, as far as I can tell, considered him a buffoon. Now his Department's denying him funding and threatening to kick him out. Another friend went to a lesser known school, finished in 4 years, published his dissertation, and is now writing articles on politico.com There is no substitute for hard work -- not Yale, Harvard, or Princeton. The question is not, Where did you go to school?, but rather What have you produced? What have you done? What do you believe? If you have a good idea now, chances are that six years at Harvard are not going to make it any better and might even make it worse. Alternatively, if you don't have a good idea now, Harvard's not going to give you one.

There, I'll shut up now.

Edited by RaymondDale

Would also have been nice to know for sure that this year would be at least as terrible economically for grad admissions as I suspected, but I suppose even universities may not have known that back in November.

they knew. it's a carry-over from last year. last year, # of apps went up (i'm afraid of finding a real job!), number of spots went down (we gambled our endowment on the stock market!). this year, you've got the usual cohort that would be applying in any year plus the usual cohort that was rejected last year due to the decreased number of spots plus even more people applying just to avoid finding a regular job. i don't think the endowments dropped significantly this year, but departments are still lowering their overall number of admits to compensate for the market crash in the fall of 2009.

i said it a lot earlier in this thread and got jumped on for it, but i'll reiterate: the rejections aren't a reflection of your potential as an academic. it mostly comes down to money and luck. it really is a lottery, so enjoy any winnings you may get and don't get sweat the rejections. theoretically, we all only applied to programs we'd be happy to attend, so any admission is a win. you only need one.