Ed.M Admissions at TC

Bunny38

So I applied for the Doctoral program at Teachers College, but was admitted to the Ed.M for curriculum and teaching . What does this mean? Will I be easily able to enroll in the Doctoral program when I complete this program.Why does this program exist? What funding amounts are available and have you all received? I already Have a Master's  in Education in Teaching English as a second language. This program is a costly.

I wouldn't say it will be easy to enroll in the doctoral program upon completion of the Ed.M. Everybody I know who went on to the doctoral program after the masters had to apply, and not all were accepted on their first try. However, It will provide you with the opportunity to build relationships and impress professors that could strengthen your application. Additionally, I believe in the department of C&T, many credits from Ed.M. transfer directly toward your Ed.D. HOWEVER, I would verify that fact from a reliable source before you take my word for it! I heard this from current students, but policies may change.

The Ed.M. program exists, as far as I understand it, mostly to provide a way for NYC teachers to advance their careers. Under the DOE payscale, a masters with 60 credits (e.g., the Ed.M @ TC) pays more than a masters with 30 credits (e.g., the MA/MS @ TC). It also definitely serves as a source of income for the school. By offering admission to the Ed.M. rather than the Ed.D., they can see your work and get to know you before investing much financial aid in you. 

I received my funding letter several weeks after admission. (A few years ago now) I received $16k, which barely puts a dent in the price of the program. Since you already have a masters, I would contact them to find out how many of your credits would transfer toward your Ed.M. If you can transfer 30 toward a 60-credit degree, that might make it less expensive.

Best of luck to you!

Hi,

Thank you. This morning I emailed TC and asked them the questions you mentioned. Now I am waiting for their response. Did you complete the Ed.M program?

Thank you

12 hours ago, Bunny38 said:

Did you complete the Ed.M program?

No, I just did the MA. Even that cost me $60,000 for the year, with the scholarship, which I was told at the time is the maximum they offer to masters students. I wanted to stay for doctoral work, but with the state of funding at TC it just didn't make sense. I hear they're trying really hard to actually fund doctoral students now, but I haven't heard that (and doubt that) masters funding has increased.

I just went to the Ed.D. website because I was curious, and it looks like you can transfer up to 30 credits from another institution toward the Ed.M. You'll then have completed 60 if you complete an Ed.M, which puts you 2/3 of the way toward your Ed.D. (90 credits total), obviously excluding the dissertation. 

http://www.tc.columbia.edu/curriculum-and-teaching/ct-programs/degrees/doctor-of-education/

I would still get verification in writing with regard to which and how many of the credits from your previous masters degree transfer over, but I hope this is helpful as you weigh your options!

Also, I would ask them for a copy of the "Studying for the Ed.D. Degree in the Department of Curriculum and Teaching" booklet the website refers to. Seems strange that they don't have a pdf link online. It sounds to me like you've got a viable path, but it will be expensive. At least one more year unfunded (possibly two), and then I don't believe living stipends are provided even if coursework is fully funded. So you're looking at the possibility of over $200,000 in debt by the time you graduate with an Ed.D.

Having spoken to a number of Masters students at TC, it is still VERY hard to get into an EdD program after completing the EdM.  Not impossible, of course, but still highly selective and not a given.

On 6/19/2016 at 8:37 AM, Levon3 said:

I just went to the Ed.D. website because I was curious, and it looks like you can transfer up to 30 credits from another institution toward the Ed.M. You'll then have completed 60 if you complete an Ed.M, which puts you 2/3 of the way toward your Ed.D. (90 credits total), obviously excluding the dissertation. 

http://www.tc.columbia.edu/curriculum-and-teaching/ct-programs/degrees/doctor-of-education/

I would still get verification in writing with regard to which and how many of the credits from your previous masters degree transfer over, but I hope this is helpful as you weigh your options!

Also, I would ask them for a copy of the "Studying for the Ed.D. Degree in the Department of Curriculum and Teaching" booklet the website refers to. Seems strange that they don't have a pdf link online. It sounds to me like you've got a viable path, but it will be expensive. At least one more year unfunded (possibly two), and then I don't believe living stipends are provided even if coursework is fully funded. So you're looking at the possibility of over $200,000 in debt by the time you graduate with an Ed.D.

Thank You.

I was admitted to a MA program in a different field long time ago, switched to an Ed.M program, and received an Ed.M. Then I worked for some years and applied for a Ph.D program in the same field. I was admitted without funding and so declined the offer. In that field, my classmates switched from the MA to the Ph.D. program. I thought it was very easy and just a matter of submitting necessary documents. Competition appears to be different from field to field.

5 hours ago, nashville0808 said:

I was admitted to a MA program in a different field long time ago, switched to an Ed.M program, and received an Ed.M. Then I worked for some years and applied for a Ph.D program in the same field. I was admitted without funding and so declined the offer. In that field, my classmates switched from the MA to the Ph.D. program. I thought it was very easy and just a matter of submitting necessary documents. Competition appears to be different from field to field.

This was the impression I had too. The PhD program in the MST department seemed quite easy to get in to. Everyone I knew who applied was at least admitted to the EdD, with the option to transfer to the PhD later. I only know one person who was discouraged from the PhD, but this person was still admitted to the EdD. I didn't ask many people in the C&T dept. how difficult it was, but I definitely didn't have the impression that it was highly selective.