MPH Canada Fall 2017

Shd90

Well gosh darn, I got rejected from Waterloo this year. Looks like I will have to reapply next year, but will do so to more schools! Does any other school besides Waterloo and Lakehead offer an online program?

4 minutes ago, bio04 said:

Well gosh darn, I got rejected from Waterloo this year. Looks like I will have to reapply next year, but will do so to more schools! Does any other school besides Waterloo and Lakehead offer an online program?

University of Alberta - Health Promotion 

27 minutes ago, bio04 said:

Sorry about your rejection. UVic is also almost completely online. You have attend campus twice or three times I believe.

16 hours ago, ernmy said:

How were you notified of your rejection from U of Sask? My application status still says complete and ready for review.

Email. I think that might mean you are in or waitlisted!!!

7 hours ago, dr_pakistan said:

Any international students got into any sort of MPH programsin Canada this year? Plz reply !

Yes,

Admitted: lakehead University

Rejected: Saskatchewan and Memorial

8 hours ago, NinjaNurse said:

Email. I think that might mean you are in or waitlisted!!!

I hope and pray so. I am an international student maybe they are yet to notify us.

19 hours ago, ernmy said:

those who had rejections from U of sask, how were you notified? by email or the application status changed? is any of u an international student?

by email, and the portal said "decision made - notification/email to follow"

1 hour ago, naynay said:

by email, and the portal said "decision made - notification/email to follow"

wow, Im yet to receive anything....my application status remains the same though. I am hoping for the best.

21 hours ago, bio04 said:

You may want to look into London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine. They offer distance programs as well.

5 hours ago, vancouverrunner said:

You may want to look into London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine. They offer distance programs as well.

U of A's health promotion can also be done online I believe. 

On 2017-5-11 at 10:04 AM, idkman said:

I got mine yesterday as well! I think the official letter we get from CGPS will outline what the conditions are. Since I graduate in June, I think my conditions will be that I have to send them official transcripts and proof of degree completion. 

Okay gotcha. I already uploaded my degree certificate, I'm guessing I just need to send them official transcripts. 

Hey all!

Just found out I got accepted into USask and am being offered an entrance award of $3000.

This isnt much, but its making me question my acceptance into UBC. Does anyone know which MPH program has a better reputation? Pros? Cons?

Thanks in advance.

On 2017-05-06 at 0:58 AM, idkman said:

I just checked my portal for the University of Saskatchewan and I also got the Department Recommend - Conditional! I assume this means that we will be accepted as long as everything works out okay and the CGPS also agrees to admit us.

Since I know some of you will be interested, here are my stats: 

- Bachelors of Science in Animal Health

- Last 2 years (60 credits) GPA: 3.6

- cGPA - ~3.2

- Experience - No direct public health related experience. No research experience.  The only work experience I have is working in animal shelters and kennels, as well as with a catering company. I have some experience doing conferences and public speeches/forums - I'm disabled so I speak on my disability at these events.

- LOI - I had a really nice prof write a letter for me. The other two were from my bosses at the same catering company (who would have really vouched for me).

- Statement of Intent - I wrote a lot about my interest in studying the epidemiology of zoonotic diseases. 

I genuinely did not think I would get into school anywhere this cycle, so this is a bit of a surprise. I'm fresh out of my undergrad, barely have any experience, and have a good GPA but one that could have been better. Heres what I think sold me as an applicant:

- My background in Animal Health and my interest in studying zoonotic diseases. The U of S has a great vet school and they collaborate with the MPH program quite often, so I think this made me a really unique student for the program. 

- Even though my GPA for the last 2 years was a 3.6 - I had a GPA of 3.9 for my last 3 semesters. Literally got all A's. I decided that this is what I really wanted and put my all into it.

- I took 2 courses at U of A's MPH program and did really well in them. I think it showed the admissions committee that I can handle a masters level course load and that I was truly interested in the material. 

- Really great LOI's. I literally bent over backwards at my catering job (16 hour days and enormous amounts of physical labour for minimum wage) and I think my bosses really appreciated it and gave me excellent letters.

Other than that... I don't know. Some of you have really great stats and experience and you get rejected and I am always shocked! It seems like its all just luck. I truly applied with no expectations - I was almost 95% sure that I was going to be rejected, but thought that it couldn't hurt to try. So, don't give up!

Hey! I also have a BSc animal health degree from U of A!  Do you mind me asking when you graduated? 

Just accepted my U of S offer :)

for stats if anyone is wondering:

GPA: ~3.7

BSc. animal health and B. environmental public health 

Worked in vet clinic for 7 years, 2 years in public health with 1.5 years of that being a health inspector working in disease control mostly

in LOI expressed interest in epidemiology / zoonotic diseases 

2 hours ago, Jsw24 said:

Hey! I also have a BSc animal health degree from U of A!  Do you mind me asking when you graduated? 

Just accepted my U of S offer :)

for stats if anyone is wondering:

GPA: ~3.7

BSc. animal health and B. environmental public health 

Worked in vet clinic for 7 years, 2 years in public health with 1.5 years of that being a health inspector working in disease control mostly

in LOI expressed interest in epidemiology / zoonotic diseases 

I graduate this year! Started in 2012. I also accepted my offer, so I guess I will see you there! Its super cool that we have similar background and the same interest in zoonotic diseases!!!

On 5/11/2017 at 2:11 PM, abanane said:

I was accepted to Lakehead yesterday, haven't received the official letter yet though!

Good luck to everyone waiting!!

got accepted into lakehead the same day as well, congrats! I hope they send out the official letters soon as this wait has been killing me!

13 hours ago, Airaena said:

2 weeks since the unofficial acceptances went out for UofT MPH - Epi.  Still no official acceptance yet :( 

Took me close to 3 weeks to receive my official offer via email following the unofficial acceptance, stay strong!