Vanier CGS 2016-2017

LMK

I rather know sooner versus later. So that's good I suppose.

I kind of liked it better when I first got nominated and thought there was no chance of getting it anyways. So much less pressure ... to the point where I actually messed up my Trudeau application by forgetting to include the role model essay. 

The problem is, as time passes, a bit of hope creeps in. Ah man, it'd be so nice to have the financial security for the next three years that this would afford! 

They also pick the busiest time of the year to release this .. ugh.

Hmm... When I emailed the Secretariat about a question I had in November she said March 31, 2017 results will be released.

And, yeah I get how you feel sweaty gorilla. It's the most stressful weird experience I've had, and I've been through a lot. Anyways, I guess we have to see what happens tomorrow. Take care of yourselves, everyone

Good luck everyone. You'll just get an email around noon on the day of the announcement saying there's been a decision reached. Then you click into research net, and you click on "results" and there it is. You'll get your score and your placement and I think mine came in 2 different letters. And try to keep in mind that that's out of the entire country. High or low, you did a great job getting that far.

This time last year I was not sleeping or eating. So try to do both. All the best!

Edited by Lanie
wrong info

3 minutes ago, Lanie said:

Good luck everyone. You'll just get an email around noon on the day of the announcement saying there's been a decision reached. Then you click into research net, and you click on "results" and there it is. You'll get your score and your placement and I think mine came in 2 different letters. And try to keep in mind that that's out of the entire country. High or low, you did a great job getting that far.

This time last year I was not sleeping or eating. So try to do both. All the best!

The results section doesn't show up until you actually get results right? Right now, I only see Find Funding Opportunities, My Applications, and Get Involved in the left menu bar.

Thanks and good luck everyone!

1 hour ago, Lanie said:

I got NO sleep tonight and I have no appetite whatsoever. 

But, I got this email from a prof today. I found it really consoling:

Here’s what I want to say today: getting funded in this cycle (in any given cycle) is not diagnostic of your success in the program (or beyond). Of course we all hope to hear good news (I know how many of you feel – I’m also waiting to hear back about a grant submission!), but great projects – and great people – often don’t get funded. Like any review process, there are idiosyncrasies. If you get funded, that’s wonderful! Celebrate it. But if you don’t, it’s okay. Of course it’s disappointing, but no one will think any less of you. Your place in the program is secure; it simply means you try again next year.

It’s one of the tough things about academia (well, life, really)– there is a lot of “getting back on the horse.” I am sure every faculty member here can share stories of beloved papers sometimes being rejected (over and over). Some of the giants in the field didn’t get tenure in their first jobs. Sometimes it feels like things are going your way and sometimes it feels like it doesn’t. I’ve learned to be grateful for successes, recognizing that there’s a lot of randomness that intersects with effort to get desired outcomes. And I’ve learned to be easier on myself with rejections, recognizing that there’s a lot of randomness there, too. It doesn’t mean I don’t learn from them. But they don’t need to be defining.  

So hang in there. 

Awwww I can completely relate. I have no memory of  a final tutorial I ran on this date last year. I remember just shaking and trying to get through it. I got back to my desk and a friend was there when the email came. I made her stand next to me. Poor thing. I didn't want to look alone.

It's just so stressful. That note from a professor was completely thoughtful and so true. It's so easy to get caught up in funding = worth nonsense but we know it's not true. I really hope you find out today because at least then you'll sleep.

We're getting deep (which I love! haha) - but yes, funding is so deeply connected to our identity as students, but these situations give us an opportunity to disconnect from that a bit and appreciate that we have worth independent of funding. I am going to repeat this mantra until I hear haha :)

23 minutes ago, p(ache)d said:

I'm holding office hours right now for an exam viewing and the students probably think I'm some over caffeinated neurotic grad student haha. oh man.

Ha. That was me last year. My study review was a mess. Poor students. My email came just after 12:30 on the 31 last year.

Hopefully it's today! :) Hopefully soon!

I'm definitely going crazy... waiting to find out is by far the worst part! I was unsuccessful last year so I am doubly nervous! I was mentally prepared for tomorrow too, and now I am really hoping we find out today...

Good luck everyone!

I heard back from the Program Officer

This was their response:

You will receive an email from ResearchNet when the results are released.

So... I guess we just wait

Edited by p(ache)d