Dead Week

LateAntique

Even though the earliest I anticipate hearing back from any program is mid-January, I still like to think that if I check my email 20 times a day, something will be in there from somewhere. Though this week I realized it's not really a possibility. With all the schools on Christmas break (or Winter Break, if you prefer), I know there's not a chance of receiving any kind of updates on my applications. It zaps some of the fun of checking my email.

On a side note: Next semester I am taking a course with a guest professor from one of the universities to which I'm applying (he comes nearly every Spring and lectures here as he is emeritus at his other school). We know each other already, had some good convos over good wine last semester, etc. However, I was thinking that if I get rejected from the school he teaches at currently it could potentially be kind of awkward, at least for a week or so. Lets hope that doesn't happen!

I haven't even thought to obsess over this yet. A few of my programs (or at least someone in the programs) have told me they don't start reviewing until sometime in January.

I have the happy thought that one of the professors is getting back to me next week, and a secretary from another program will be getting in touch to set up a visit.

YOu know what I wish? I wish they'd at least send you the ocassional post card or view book or flyer or something to make me feel like I'm making progress. The law school process is so romantic. They send emails and t-shirts and pictures and stuff. This grad school thing is an abusive one-sided relationship if I've ever seen one. I just want some physical representation that he, er, I mean THEY know I'm alive.

I'm not checking anything just now as I don't think anyone took my file home to read over Christmas. When does it become reasonable to check email for application news, provided that you have submitted humanities applications no earlier than December? I keep telling people I will hear back anywhere between late January and April, but I'm not sure when the frenzy will hit me.

YOu know what I wish? I wish they'd at least send you the ocassional post card or view book or flyer or something to make me feel like I'm making progress. The law school process is so romantic. They send emails and t-shirts and pictures and stuff. This grad school thing is an abusive one-sided relationship if I've ever seen one. I just want some physical representation that he, er, I mean THEY know I'm alive.

LOL!!!! And i completely agree!!

You know what the whole ordeal reminds me of? That scene in one of the Bridget Jones movies (forget which) where she checks her voicemail and the phone goes "You have no new messages. None whatsoever. Not even from your mother."

hehe

I'm the opposite. I'd rather not hear anything back until I'm either invited for an interview or rejected. I hate opening my e-mail box, having my heart skip a beat or two at seeing the name of a school I applied to, and then realizing it's just a form letter letting me know that my application is under review.

Just to get people excited, I checked my e-mail today and had an interview invite in there.

Yeah. They not only sent it over the holiday break, but on a Sunday. :blink:

Obviously, I'll take it, but I'd been good about this... and now I'll be obsessively checking for the rest of the week. :P

Just to get people excited, I checked my e-mail today and had an interview invite in there.

Obviously, I'll take it, but I'd been good about this... and now I'll be obsessively checking for the rest of the week. :P

Congrats!

Same for me, actually. I was coming back home around 5 on Saturday, and saw the mailman dropping off a package. It looked like a wrapped book, so I thought it was a gift a friend had mailed me...turned out it was from Albert Einstein College of Medicine, inviting me to interview.

I checked my e-mail, and I'd gotten the e-mail LITERALLY five minutes before the package had been dropped off. Spooky.

Perhaps law schools butter you up to make up for the boot camp from hell that will be the first semester ;)