NSF GRFP 2016-2017

StemQueries

3 minutes ago, Plantguypete said:

I was just awarded it as well! As an undergraduate! So much for getting sleep tonight! haha

Congrats Plantguypete!! Who cares about sleep!! Go celebrate!!!

1 minute ago, psychpride9 said:

E/VG VG/E E/E HM as an Undergrad :( Disappointed but it's okay. Would be curious on anyone's thoughts on whether to apply again as a first year grad or as a second year grad (and how people navigated that decision this year). Congrats to those who got it!

Sorry to hear you are disappointed; however, Honorable Mention is still astounding! You should be very proud of yourself! 

As for your questions, I have heard mixed reviews. I would normally say wait until your second year, but with who is running the White House and after all the cuts the past few days, I would think your first year to have a chance at guaranteed funding!

Anyone else get 4 reviewers? I've never heard of that happening.

G/F G/F VG/G E/VG

I guess my work was a little divisive. Also it seems like my reviewers want me to have my project to be totally complete (and cited) already for them to believe it. Hopefully NDSEG announces soon.

I'm a 2nd year here. Got it as well :)  E/VG VG/E VG/VG

I think it's even more nuts when you actually FEEL the pressure of needing money, and then you get awarded NSF!!

I'm still in shock lol

Crossing my fingers for NDSEG though! They actually finance me 100%, whereas NSF gets me at ~90% (for the stipend... and even less for tuition).

Edited by RP15

Got honorable mention again :(

Is there any significance to the first, second, and third reviewer? Both times it seems as if the third reviewer has included a statement as to whether or not I should receive the reward.

E/E, E/VG, VG/VG. Yet another honorable mention. This is my third (and obviously last) try. As great as HM is, I needed the money to make my doctoral program feasible. I'm sad, and not sure what to do. 

To posters wondering about re-applying: I would wait to year 2 if you can't get solid recs from your advisors in your first year. My worst reviews came last year when I didn't include any LORs from my grad program advisors (because I had just started my MS two weeks before the NSF was due, and they didn't know me).

Anyway, congrats to all who won!

OMG. I won one too. I'm in shock. Never thought I'd get it. Was hoping for an honorable mention. I have a BS but haven't begun grad school yet. I'm a lab tech. 

E/E, VG/VG, VG/VG

Edited by Cervello

1 hour ago, jeanetics17 said:

I got the award! I'm speechless. I haven't looked at the reviews, nothing in the world matters! lol

That's how I feel too! I got it, and it took me hours to look at the reviews. OMG OMG OMG

I can hardly breathe.

E/E, E/E, E/E

Edited by Levon3

Surprised to see the results released so early!

VG/VG, G/G, E/VG Not Recommended

Very disappointing, more so the reviewers lack of feedback than the result itself. Every reviewer gave single sentence feedback. Congratulations to all who received it!

VG/VG, VG/E, E/E (Life Sciences - Cell Bio) Honorable Mention.

Second year in a row and no more chances. The reviewers had really nice, heart warming comments, but obviously that wasn't enough. One of the VGs might have sunk me as their comment alluded to one of my rec letters explicitly stating what I was doing as this was my rotation PI adding to what I had no space to write about in my proposal, even though I did write it out (seems like they deducted points because I wasn't more specific about which "confocal microscopy" imaging I'd use, or which protein modifications I'd be looking at [I literally spelled it out, though]). 

So it's still a crapshoot, but in this time of funding drought, I'm truly happy for everyone that got it. It's still a great writing exercise.

Also, can people post which division/section they applied to because posting the scores doesn't tell you much as some divisions have higher or lower thresholds (I had an arguably higher score last year but still had HM, lol).

49 minutes ago, Janiejoneswoah said:

"The only Broader Impacts addressed are the potential benefits that the research might have to human health. "

Seems like a pretty broad impact to me, but what do I know

Remember: NSF doesn't want to hear anything about human health. That can actually hurt you because they have a limited funding pool for basic science, and the NIH is made to address that.

10 minutes ago, Infinito said:

VG/VG, VG/E, E/E (Life Sciences - Cell Bio) Honorable Mention.

Second year in a row and no more chances. The reviewers had really nice, heart warming comments, but obviously that wasn't enough. One of the VGs might have sunk me as their comment alluded to one of my rec letters explicitly stating what I was doing as this was my rotation PI adding to what I had no space to write about in my proposal, even though I did write it out (seems like they deducted points because I wasn't more specific about which "confocal microscopy" imaging I'd use, or which protein modifications I'd be looking at [I literally spelled it out, though]). 

So it's still a crapshoot, but in this time of funding drought, I'm truly happy for everyone that got it. It's still a great writing exercise.

Also, can people post which division/section they applied to because posting the scores doesn't tell you much as some divisions have higher or lower thresholds (I had an arguably higher score last year but still had HM, lol).

Remember: NSF doesn't want to hear anything about human health. That can actually hurt you because they have a limited funding pool for basic science, and the NIH is made to address that.

I applied to Life Sciences - Genetics. 

Was awarded it in Life Sciences -  Computational Biology/Genomics (I think I indicated this as a 40/60 split) as an undergrad!  Very surprised, and definitely didn't expect to hear back today!

Scoring was: E/E, E/E, E/E, Awarded