How can I improve my file?

Hey all,

I'm a long-time lurker, first time poster. I'm applying to Ph.D. programs in political science this fall. Unfortunately, my advisers/faculty mentors are mostly old-school guys who got into grad programs in the 70's--a very different environment. Tell me where my file looks strongest, where it looks weakest, and how I can improve!

PROFILE:
Type of Undergrad Institution: Small liberal arts college in the South. 
Major(s)/Minor(s): Political Science and Economics (double major) + Philosophy minor. 
Undergrad GPA: 3.99
GRE: 170V, 161Q, 5.5AW
Any Special Courses: Research Methods in Political Science, Methods in Economics (2 semester sequence with a capstone and econometrics), Methods in Labor Economics, Econ Statistics.  Also, about to finish an 80+ page research paper/thesis in Political Science.
Letters of Recommendation: 1. from my faculty mentor and professor I TAed for + PSC department chair.   2. from older professor (50 years teaching) who had me in 3 upper level classes, and I also worked as his TA. He says I was the best TA he ever had.   3. From faculty member who I've done research work with.  
Research Experience:  1 peer-reviewed paper published, coauthored with faculty member. Several papers that had a significant amount of statistical analysis. 5 Conference presentations. I've done research assistant work for the three professors in my department, though it's a pretty teaching-focused school. 
Teaching Experience: 1 semester as a TA for Econ Statistics and Microeconomics. 2 years as political science teaching assistant. So far, have TAed for sections of American Gov, Intro, Comparative Politics, and International Relations. I grade/review papers and written exams, advise students on their research projects, and occasionally teach lectures. 
Subfield/Research Interests: American Politics, Constitutional studies/law, and political theory. I know P.T. is a dying field. I want to get into a teaching-focused program, because I love teaching and want to do that in the long run. 
Awards: Received award as best Political Science student, award for best Political Science TA, a campus-wide recognition for academic performance, and an award from the philosophy department for excellence from a non-major. 

Other: Though I haven't had a ton of peer-reviewed work published, I've been published pretty widely in popular outlets (a good number of magazines, etc.) I've also had two internships (one as a policy intern for a public policy think tank, one as an editorial intern at a fairly well-known magazine), and a research fellowship at a public policy org. 

Thanks for the feedback. I'm just nervous about all of this. I'm trying to put a ton of work into my SOP right now. 

Is there any bias against students who are mostly interested in teaching positions in the long run? My dream career would involve teaching at a smallish liberal arts college, and maybe writing a book every few years. As I've built up some research and teaching experience, I've realized that I really love office hours, lecturing, and consultations far more than the research work. Is that inclination of mine (to not be a researcher in the long run) something I should keep fairly veiled?

1 hour ago, StrengthandHonor said:

Thanks for the feedback. I'm just nervous about all of this. I'm trying to put a ton of work into my SOP right now. 

Is there any bias against students who are mostly interested in teaching positions in the long run? My dream career would involve teaching at a smallish liberal arts college, and maybe writing a book every few years. As I've built up some research and teaching experience, I've realized that I really love office hours, lecturing, and consultations far more than the research work. Is that inclination of mine (to not be a researcher in the long run) something I should keep fairly veiled?

I have a similar question, but I am concerned that I am more interested in a job at an R1 than a liberal arts college. Due to the job market, I am unsure as to whether faculty would be more interested in students that want a job at a liberal arts college rather than an R1. 

1 hour ago, StrengthandHonor said:

No need to mention that in your SOP; it will not help, and will likely hurt. It's perfectly fine of a goal to have, but this is not what top schools are interested in. 

As for you, @resDQ, no, faculty at top schools are not interested in having their students at LACs, despite the realities of the job market. They are training you to do research, not to teach. Feel free to mention your goals, will not hurt you. 

22 minutes ago, PizzaCat93 said:

No need to mention that in your SOP; it will not help, and will likely hurt. It's perfectly fine of a goal to have, but this is not what top schools are interested in. 

As for you, @resDQ, no, faculty at top schools are not interested in having their students at LACs, despite the realities of the job market. They are training you to do research, not to teach. Feel free to mention your goals, will not hurt you. 

Thank you for all of the advice and reassurance!

1 hour ago, PizzaCat93 said:

It probably wouldn't hurt to mention my interest in/love for teaching, though--to demonstrate that I'm someone who is both interested in, and has a proven track record, in teaching assistantships, right? I've heard from some profs that the research focus makes it maddeningly difficult to find competent TAs. 

You can mention your teaching experience in your CV or even say how it's enhanced your research interests, but @PizzaCat93 is right. Don't put it on your SOP for top schools. For mid-rank schools or top schools that cater to the LAC market (Cornell), by all means, do it.

That's not to dissuade you from having your goals. At the recruitment events you attend, you should look for if they encourage your pedagogical development. Even at the top schools, you can be open about your desire to be at a teaching school. However, at the application stage, for top schools don't say it, for mid rank schools it wouldn't hurt you.

This is a very interesting discussion. In my SOPs current form I don't mention my professional aspirations beyond my intention to stay in academia. I did, however, just get an email from a POI who specifically asked me if I saw myself being a researcher who also teaches or the other way around. It is in my best interest to be honest, as part of the fit is to obtain the best training for what I want to do, but my answer was a bit non-committal. I suggested that the nature of academic job market is such that I will probably have to be flexible and that working at an R1 might not preclude one from caring about teaching. As mentioned above, Cornell is concerned with teaching skill, and is also an R1. Halfway though my MS I have been paid for both, and they both have pros and cons. I suppose, as with most things, I wont be able to have my cake and eat it too. In any case, I tend to leave more options open rather than fewer when describing my intentions generally and found it interesting to be asked this pointedly.

14 hours ago, PoliticalOrder said:

Where are people getting the idea that Cornell caters to training for LACs? Of their placements the vast majority are at research institutions.

They have far more placements at LACs relative to research institution placements than other schools in the top 20.

On 7/30/2016 at 10:23 PM, Quickmick said:

Just curious, what did you get the "B" in?

Not a B, but an A-. My school counts A- as a 3.7 (unfortunately, no bonus points for an A+). It was in a senior level seminar in Metaphysics & Epistemology that I took my sophomore year.