Really uninformed question about programs in Education

Treerim

Question

Hi everyone!

I really need help from all the super helpful people here :(  I am about to receive a master's degree in English Literature.

However, I do not plan on studying English further. I realized that producing new knowledge to practically impact the society at large was what I truly wanted to do.

I have recently learned of the field of edTech, which includes departments like instructional systems technology, learning and design, learning sciences, etc. I want to advance into this field because the sheer practicality of it is very appealing. 

So my question is: Do you know of any phd programs that you think I have a chance of getting in with a M.A. in English?   Or maybe programs that allow starting with a M.A. and switching midway to Phd?

Starting another M.A. program is a huuuuuuuge burden, economically. I have already spent two years and a whole lot of money to get my M.A

I know Im supposed to do the research, like a good graduate student, but the field is just so new to me that I really am at a loss. 

Any advice would be super helpful, really! I hope to be able to hold on to my dream of standing at a podium someday. I love the university setting; I hope to be able to stay a while longer. 

Edited by Treerim

3 answers to this question

Do you have teaching experience?  The people in my edtech program either have CS/engr backgrounds OR they come from the humanities/social sciences with compelling narratives about their interest in tech.  Usually these narratives are bolstered by classroom experience.  

Keep in mind that edtech programs vary.  Some of the most established ones are Harvard, Stanford and Columbia.  Talk to admissions folks/doctoral candidates there.   

It may not be a bad thing to have your MA in English rather than in education. I think a strong SoP can clearly explain why you want to study what you do, and how your background will be an asset in this new field. Many programs allow starting with an MA and progressing to PhD if you show strong potential. Out of Chai_latte's list, I don't recommend Columbia, unless you are guaranteed funding. Their ed tech programs can be insanely burdensome financially. (I don't mean don't apply--but I do mean don't accept unless you have a strong scholarship offer.)

How did you learn of the ed tech field? I suggest looking up some of the projects you heard of, reading those researchers' bios/publications and choosing programs associated with work you find particularly interesting.