Two weeks to study for the psych GRE

Clinpsyc01

I'm taking the psych GRE in September, and I just haven't gotten around to studying for it because of work, research, studying for the general GRE, etc. I'm also going on vacation next week. Realistically, the most I'll be able to study is for a couple days next week after I take the general GRE, and then for two weeks after I get back from vacation. 

Is it possible to score well with just two weeks of studying? I majored in psych and have taken courses in every area that's tested, but I'm still freaking out a little. 

The good news is that if you majored in psychology there is almost nothing on the Subject Test that will be new to you (for me, the only thing that was foreign was I/O questions). Given the brevity in the time you have to study, I would say to take a stab at the practice test first. See how well you do on it, and look at the areas that you did the worst in. Also, keep in mind that the different question concentrations are not weighed equally. Some areas of study are more prevalent and will have more questions than others. In that case, you can also try to focus on the larger sections since you have the option to skip some (if I recall correctly). What your focus of study was in psychology (social/personality, biological/cognitive, etc) can determine which sections to look at more closely.

It is possible to do well, but you'll need to work on it in those days! Good luck!

Thanks! :) 

I took the practice and scored around the 90th percentile, so I'm slightly less worried. Still kicking myself for switching from the October to the September date though lol 

Hi there,

I also ended up cramming somewhat for the psych GRE.  I would recommend buying one of the review books on Amazon (Kaplan or Barron's, latest editions) and going through those if you have time.  AP Psychology review booklets might also be helpful and can be covered in a day or two of intense study if you already have previous familiarity with the material.   

Keep in mind that the test is curved pretty heavily, so it's not like you need a perfect score.  There were a handful of questions regarding material I was unfamiliar with that I just skipped.  I probably got somewhere around a 95% raw score (i.e., percentage of questions answered correctly), but because of the score distribution I was >99%.  

Edited by St0chastic

• 2 weeks later...

I did it in two weeks and got 96%

you will be fine, the test is not hard but requires a LOT of memorization....I find cramming is actually better for that kind of test all all the info is fresh.

don't freak out, just focus during those two weeks. try to get through at least two prep books. Read both all the way through and do the problems in one. You'll be golden.