The Graduate Institute Geneva(IHEID) 2017-2018

Hello, I'm an international relations student from Turkey and I'm going to graduate from my university end of this year. I'd like to continue my studies at IHEID in the International Affairs Master's Program yet I'm not really sure If I am elligible to get accepted from the institute. My gpa is 3,25 at the moment, I can raise my GPA to 3.30 when I graduate; I have had some experience throughout my stuides as an intern in a Turkish Embassy, in the government and in a bank. I know both French and English. If someone has any information, can someone tell me what are my chances of getting accepted by the institute?

From what I have gathered from the various forum threads, there are people who are enrolled without stellar grades, and they usually mention a strong personal statement and some relevant experience. The three most important factors appear to be grades, motivation letter and reference letters. Thus, your chances will depend accordingly on how well these are, collectively.

If there are any alumni/current graduate student out there, please correct me if I'm wrong!:blink:

I'm also intending to apply for iheid for next year's programme, but in Mdev instead of IA. Anyone else applying? Will need a support group soon :wacko:...Great that someone created a forum thread - thanks @Yagizoztepe

Edited by Autumn Springs

The overall admission rate was 30% for all subjects a few years ago. Some (Economics, Development, International Relations) are more competitive than others (history).

The key requirements: GPA, relevant work & international experience, LoR and motivation. 3.25 GPA is on the low side of range in the class. Your chances of admission depends on the overall pool of applicants.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone and thank you for creating this thread.
I am Akansha, from India. I graduated this year with a degree in Sociology.

I wish to apply to IHEID this term for MA in Anthropology and Sociology of Development. Anyone else with the same interest?

On 25.08.2016 at 2:31 AM, CakeTea said:

The overall admission rate was 30% for all subjects a few years ago. Some (Economics, Development, International Relations) are more competitive than others (history).

The key requirements: GPA, relevant work & international experience, LoR and motivation. 3.25 GPA is on the low side of range in the class. Your chances of admission depends on the overall pool of applicants.

Thank you for your answer, I think my chances will be higher with a great motivation letter and a good references I guess.

Hey guys. 

I'll be applying to International Economics. I just graduated in Economics from Delhi University and will be working for most of this year.

I also need some sort of financial aid. Im sure this thread will get more active as time passes and the deadline approaches.

Good luck everyone. Would be great to share and hear some inputs on this. 

• 2 weeks later...

Nice to hear from you all. Though I must say this thread is less active than last year's thread.

It seems that there no longer is early admission for interdisciplinary masters, I wonder if that is a good thing. For the guys applying to Mdev, what are your other options?

hi, im also applying for the iheid next year. I graduated with a 3.4 gpa, double bachelor in Econs and International Affairs. I'm not sure about what to choose between the MIA or the mdev. I wanna apply to the less competitive one to get a chance of admission. what should i choose?

Hi all, 

Currently writting my SOP ! But I am debating between the MIA and MDev

Does anyone knows if one is more competitive than the other ? 

Also, good luck to everyone ! Hope we'll all see each other next year :)

Personally, I think that the kind of internship or activities you've done outside of the academic curriculum will point you to a specific programme, and hence, it's not so much about competitiveness but rather the fit to the specific programme. The activities that I have undertaken, for example, reminds me why I am choosing Mdev - because of my interest in the development sector.

I have been following this website and thinking of applying since my second year in university, and now I'm in my fourth and final year, so I'm really looking forward to joining the institution, and will be pretty heart-broken if I don't get in.

Anyone who is not applying straight from the university, and has already been working for a few year?

On 10/13/2016 at 10:37 AM, Autumn Springs said:

Anyone who is not applying straight from the university, and has already been working for a few year?

applying straight from university as well ! 

I got a bachelor's in Political Science and I'm about to finish a  post-grad diploma in Public Relations. 

Thanks for your input ! I'll probably apply to the MIA. Nonetheless, I'm super interested in the Mdev as i interned a the UNDP

Im applying a year after university. Just started a job.

MDev has about 70-80 students. While disciplinary only about 20-30. 

Some courses like history and anthro are less competitive than others. Also, I think you can apply for two programmes too. MIA is probably more competitive I think. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm also applying to the institute, however I'm agonizing over choosing between MIA and MIS. In another thread some years ago someone says MIS is more intellectually challenging than MIA while MIA is career-focused and not intended for transition to PhD. So basically I think its the choice between work as soon as graduating MIA (best case scenario) vs directly from MIS to getting PhD in a total of 5 years (best case scenario). I think both best cases are pretty awesome, but for a recent grad who wants to accumulate some full-time work experience but might also want a PhD in the future, is MIA the right choice for now? It's kind of painful to think that it MIA might not be intellectually challenging/academically rigorous enough for possible publications, and when it's time to apply to a PhD program only work experience with no journal publication will not be enough. I'm having mixed feelings about this kind of MA+PhD "bundle", is my decision of choosing MIA over MIS the right move?

2 hours ago, Autumn Springs said:

@Akansha Hmm i am not in a rush, since I am applying for iheid Mdev, which has the deadline in January, That being said, I have already submitted my LSE application for Development Management. Where are you applying to?

Ah, okay. I am applying for ANSO. I think ill also apply to CEU.

All the best for your application! Where are you from?

On 08/11/2016 at 2:32 AM, Akansha said:

Ah, okay. I am applying for ANSO. I think ill also apply to CEU.

All the best for your application! Where are you from?

HI! I am from Singapore :) My school term finally ended so I can work further on my essay draft, which I have not touched since August. Fingers crossed!

All the best for your application too!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I am also looking at applying for the MDev.

This would be my second Masters. I have a Bachelors in History and a Masters in Sociology. I've worked with a small Delhi- based NGO for two years and have now decided to study further. Problem is, my grades as an undergrad are really no so great, and the Master's grades are much much better and I have also taken subjects like Urban Sociology and Urban Community Development which are relevant to the MDev course. Any idea if they give different weightage to each level of education?

Really don't want an email saying, "unfortunately we only take the best and you are non-admissible" early on in the admission process.

Also for recommendation letters, I was planning to get one from an undergraduate professor, and one from my postgraduate degree (Since I have changed disciplines). What do you think would be better? People who are more likely to vouch for me or people who I have worked with more recently?

Any help would be really appreciated.

Many Thanks :)

@Wandering Gyspy

Hi, I think your most recent grades matter more. However, do email the admission department and they'll reply you back with the inputs, and personally I believe that would be a wiser thing to do given they'd know exactly what the deal is and would not leave you confused. We, here, would merely be speculating. The admissions team is really very helpful and quick. I have bugged them with the silliest of the questions and they've been very tolerant and patient :).

As for the recommendation letters, get it from anyone you feel will be able to comment on your credibilities and potential well. So you can do the permutation-combination accordingly. They seem to stress on this very much.

Do check out the recordings of the webinars that are uploaded on the website. They will be extremely helpful and will answer a lot of your questions.
All the best! Stay connected! 

Edited by Akansha

Hey Guys!!

How is the application preparation coming along? I'm working on my SoP and its so overwhelming! Like I'm working on my thesis :(

All the best for your applications!! 

1 hour ago, Vivere said:

Hey Guys!!

How is the application preparation coming along? I'm working on my SoP and its so overwhelming! Like I'm working on my thesis :(

All the best for your applications!! 

All the best too...for me I am using the longer SOP for another school as a base for my iheid's, but I am finding it difficult to complete .... still so overwhelming :blink: to squeeze into 800 words...

Hi all! I'm applying to the MDev program on a somewhat last-minute basis, and wanted some feedback re: references. I graduated undergrad 8 years ago, and haven't maintained academic relationships from my alma mater very strongly. The application checklist mentions that academic recommendations are preferred and but professional ones are accepted, if you have been out of school. I have heard a lot about how IHEID places a premium on academic records and references. 

I have great professional references in the development sector that can speak to my strengths with detail, whereas my academic references, while overall positive, will be somewhat more superficial. Any idea whether I'd lower my chances if I were to submit two professional recommendations instead of one professional, one academic? I appreciate any insights - after being out of school for so long, this decision between what's "preferred" and what's "accepted" is really making me anxious! 

Best of luck on your applications!

Great to see y'all!

I am writing my SOP as well, but just confirmed with my referees with the LoRs so it's a good thing:D I am a law student in China and plan to apply for IA with focus on security studies in IHEID and Sciences Po, my gap is 3.5. Though applying straight from undergrads, I am now having working experience on refugees issues in Middle East, volunteered in an Asia country on development issue and was a visiting student in Columbia University last year, so I think my chance is not slim. Anyone know about the the difference between MIA and Master in International Relations/PoliSci?

Fingers crossed!