The Graduate Institute Geneva(IHEID) 2017-2018

11 hours ago, Vivere said:

Hello @fernandomli I have applied for the LSE program as well, didn't go for SciencesPo.

@Kara23 even I wasn't able to include all the important stuff in my personal statement.... with 800 words as limit something will be left out. 

I just read on some other forum that IHEID prefers fresh graduates..... gradually I'm losing hope :(

@Vivere 800 words is definitely not enough, totally agree with you. 

Congrats on all your acceptances! I received my rejection from LSE early this month, bummed but IHEID is my top choice and so I'm more nervous about this application. I'm curious, is anyone willing to share their profile? I'm afraid my undergraduate GPA is a mere 3.3 as I changed majors after two awful years, before I discovered my love for IR. I'm also an international student studying in Boston. 

3 hours ago, Vivere said:

Have you accepted the offer? I mean is there an acceptance deadline? And can one turn down the program after accepting the offer? 

There is a financial undertaking form (basically declaring that I can pay the tuition and survive), which I have to submit by July online, so I guess that's the deadline. Usually acceptance of offer comes with paying a significant deposit to the institution, so I guess you can change your decision, but the deposit will be forfeited, if I am not wrong.

17 hours ago, Vivere said:

@fernandomli Congratulations on your SciencesPo offer!! It's a great news! And thank you so much for your encouraging words! 

I'm hoping to hear from LSE next month. 

Thanks, and good luck to you too! No news so far in IHEID, my application is still "received - complete" (since November). Anyway, 7 more weeks to go...

On Thursday, January 26, 2017 at 9:17 AM, Vivere said:

Hello @fernandomli I have applied for the LSE program as well, didn't go for SciencesPo.

@Kara23 even I wasn't able to include all the important stuff in my personal statement.... with 800 words as limit something will be left out. 

I just read on some other forum that IHEID prefers fresh graduates..... gradually I'm losing hope :(

This is rubbish about IHEID prefering fresh graduates. The average class age for IHEID is 25.3 years. This proves that many admits and matriculated students have a few yrs work experience.

6 hours ago, Rubezahl said:

IL Masters applicant here. Did you guys use the option for a third reference? I didn't and now I feel this was a mistake. 

I think that as long as two of the references give a complete picture about you, your work and academic potential, it should be fine. 

On 1/26/2017 at 0:25 PM, fernandomli said:

@Vivere, don't give up! I graduated 12 years ago. I guess even though they could have their preferences, it would be wise to have a class with different backgrounds and levels of experience. When do you expect to hear back from LSE ? I was admitted at SciencesPo, so now I have my anxiety under control (although I think I prefer IHEID)...

Hello @fernandomli , did you provide any academic reference? I know that IHEID stress a lot on academic reference. I am trying hard to talk to professors, no luck so far :( 

17 hours ago, rsustainability said:

Hello @fernandomli , did you provide any academic reference? I know that IHEID stress a lot on academic reference. I am trying hard to talk to professors, no luck so far :( 

@rsustainability hello! Well, I am actually a MBA student right now, so I had two professors from this course. However, one of my referees (who took his masters and Phd at Iheid) said that it would be better to have someone who knows you now than a professor from a decade ago. I think if you have a professor you were closer to, and if he/she is willing to provide a letter, you should use it, and maybe the second letter could be from a professional referee. If not, I would go with two professional references. Perhaps you should email admissions about that.

good luck!

1 hour ago, fernandomli said:

@rsustainability hello! Well, I am actually a MBA student right now, so I had two professors from this course. However, one of my referees (who took his masters and Phd at Iheid) said that it would be better to have someone who knows you now than a professor from a decade ago. I think if you have a professor you were closer to, and if he/she is willing to provide a letter, you should use it, and maybe the second letter could be from a professional referee. If not, I would go with two professional references. Perhaps you should email admissions about that.

good luck!

Thank you for replying. I went to IHEID to one of the info session afternoon, and I did mention it is almost impossible for me to get a academic reference. They kept on stressing that try to get at least one academic reference. I will somehow mention in my motivation letter that I have worked for long, and hence getting recommendations from managers because they know me better. 

On 1/19/2017 at 4:17 AM, Yagizoztepe said:

Got an answer couple of days ago, they post-poned my applcation to the normal procedure. I think that means I got declined in the early-admission right?

Yes. Same. Got postponed :/

On 1/17/2017 at 11:43 PM, PriyankaS said:

Me! Mine still only says application complete. Does yours say the same? 

Nope, mine was under consideration since november. still the same as the decision got postponed!

5 hours ago, ss2233 said:

Applied for MDev. Just checked the application follow up page, and my application has under consideration status. 6 more weeks for decisions, aghhhh!

Same... Maybe too many people emailed them to ask for updates haha

I have been checking the status more than 3 times every day...:ph34r:

Hello everyone! I am Edison from Singapore. I am applying to Hertie and IHEID for their MIA and MDev programmes respectively. Got accepted into Hertie last week (submitted application on 6 January). I was told that the IHEID results will be out by mid-March.

15 hours ago, Akansha said:

Anthropology, you?

Hey Akansha! I have applied to Mdev. 

@ediypzy welcome to the thread! We all are waiting for our IHEID results here! Congratulations for getting accepted by Hertie! I've heard they are great!! 

9 hours ago, Vivere said:

Come to think about it.... they really make us wait the longest! I've heard other programs take 8 weeks max. But this one!! Gosh!! 

I'm waiting since November. beat that!!

9 hours ago, Vivere said:

Hey Akansha! I have applied to Mdev. 

@ediypzy welcome to the thread! We all are waiting for our IHEID results here! Congratulations for getting accepted by Hertie! I've heard they are great!! 

all the best to you :]

Hello everybody, Ive also applied to the IHEID's MDEV and my application is under evaluation so fingers crossed. Ive also just received an acceptation letter from another university. I ran through a problem tho, they asked me to submit the originals of my diploma and my grade transcripts. I have the diploma but I've lost the transcript during a trip in China, so all i got left of it is the scanned copy on my computer. Which might pose a problem so i think I'm just going to print it and present it as the original anyway. They can't know right?

And how does the matriculation at IHEID work? Anybody knows? Do they keep your documents for verification or do they just take a look and give it back to you on the same day?

8 hours ago, Ichoboi said:

Hello everybody, Ive also applied to the IHEID's MDEV and my application is under evaluation so fingers crossed. Ive also just received an acceptation letter from another university. I ran through a problem tho, they asked me to submit the originals of my diploma and my grade transcripts. I have the diploma but I've lost the transcript during a trip in China, so all i got left of it is the scanned copy on my computer. Which might pose a problem so i think I'm just going to print it and present it as the original anyway. They can't know right?

And how does the matriculation at IHEID work? Anybody knows? Do they keep your documents for verification or do they just take a look and give it back to you on the same day?

Don't know about document verification at IHEID, but I think you should email the university you are accepted at about loosing the document. Meanwhile, you can ask your previous college to re-issue your transcript, which might take some time. From my experience, most universities are open to requests and willing to work through things with the students. Verification is mostly a stringent measure and if they find that what you sent it is not the original copy, you never know how that will impact your acceptance.