The Graduate Institute Geneva(IHEID) 2017-2018

2 hours ago, Vivere said:

If you see the QS World Ranking, Sussex University is at number 1 for development studies. 

I wouldn't put too much stock in the rankings tbh. While Sussex University may be top no one is realistically going to recommend it above schools like Oxford or LSE for similar courses. It just doesn't have the name recognition or connections that the others have which imo is most important.

4 hours ago, Vivere said:

Guys! I have a couple of questions: 

If you see the QS World Ranking, Sussex University is at number 1 for development studies. 

But on the boards here I see majority applying for PSIA or our beloved IHEID (including myself).... then the other day I heard that Hertie and Erasmus Rotterdam (the Mdev course is offered at The Hague) are also very good. 

So how come these universities are nowhere in top 20 (in the field of development studies)? And why most of us here are not keen to apply for Ivy leagues, Oxbridge, or other top universities? 

I think Iheid does not participate in QS since it is not an university.

As for Psia, i find it odd that it is placed in 51-100th. Maybe something in the rating methodology, I don't know.

I decided to apply to Psia and Iheid due to a lot of recommendations from professors and professionals + I wanted to live in continental Europe + I can't speak german.

27 minutes ago, fernandomli said:

I think Iheid does not participate in QS since it is not an university.

As for Psia, i find it odd that it is placed in 51-100th. Maybe something in the rating methodology, I don't know.

I decided to apply to Psia and Iheid due to a lot of recommendations from professors and professionals + I wanted to live in continental Europe + I can't speak german.

Thanks for replying! 

I totally agree with you, @ss2233, @panameboss. While a lot depends on our personal reasons, funding, and the language of instruction, the brand value of ivies, oxbridge, and LSE can't be ignored. The ranking criteria is rather too broad and research oriented, and of course since IHEID is not an university it is not eligible for QS ranking system. 

@fernandomli, I too applied to IHEID for the same reasons (well! mostly!). 

As the result day is approaching, I am thinking a lot of my back up plan....I sincerely hope we all get into IHEID ?

I hope they send out decisions on Friday! *fingers crossed* . 

Anyway I got accepted to Elliott with a fellowship for the Public Policy program. Does anyone here have any idea about their job prospects, because honestly jobs in USA for international students at the moment seems like a distant dream. I can use all the information I get. 

Good luck to everyone with IHEID admissions! 

22 hours ago, Vivere said:

Guys! I have a couple of questions: 

But on the boards here I see majority applying for PSIA or our beloved IHEID (including myself).... then the other day I heard that Hertie and Erasmus Rotterdam (the Mdev course is offered at The Hague) are also very good. 

So how come these universities are nowhere in top 20 (in the field of development studies)? And why most of us here are not keen to apply for Ivy leagues, Oxbridge, or other top universities? 

Please forgive my generalisations.... I don't intend to offend anyone or question anyone's judgment.... I am simply trying to understand as I've been out of college for quite sometime. 

Rankings are only indicative of certain things but may not reflect the actual situation. SciencesPo, for example, is 4th in Political Sciences rankings but nowhere near that in dev studies rankings. Universities like Wageningen, on the other hand, are in top 20 in dev studies, although SciencesPo and IHEID are much better than it. It's because Wageningen is great for agriculture and forestry etc. which are probably categorized by QS under development studies. As for IHEID, I think it not being a full university does not let it make the cut. But then same should be the case for Sciences Po so I find IHEID not being anywhere in the QS rankings strange.  

4 hours ago, Pasha said:

Rankings are only indicative of certain things but may not reflect the actual situation. SciencesPo, for example, is 4th in Political Sciences rankings but nowhere near that in dev studies rankings. Universities like Wageningen, on the other hand, are in top 20 in dev studies, although SciencesPo and IHEID are much better than it. It's because Wageningen is great for agriculture and forestry etc. which are probably categorized by QS under development studies. As for IHEID, I think it not being a full university does not let it make the cut. But then same should be the case for Sciences Po so I find IHEID not being anywhere in the QS rankings strange.  

I agree.... it makes sense. I just hope people from HR could understand these points. 

Thanks for replying ?

IHEID is too niche and provides only postgraduate education. Sussex IDS is one of the oldest development programmes and it has full time MA and executive courses for NGOs. Sussex has a track record in research output and publication in peer reviewed journal whereas Hertie does not.

Edited by CakeTea

3 hours ago, CakeTea said:

IHEID is too niche and provides only postgraduate education. Sussex IDS is one of the oldest development programmes and it has full time MA and executive courses for NGOs. Sussex has a track record in research output and publication in peer reviewed journal whereas Hertie does not.

Thanks for replying. It certainly clarifies the reasons behind the number one spot that Sussex (particularly IDS) has recently reclaimed. 

Edited by Vivere

1 hour ago, ss2233 said:

This is becoming such an exercise in self-restraint. i need to stop checking the site every 30 mins. The results wont be posted any faster. haha

I am doing the same thing. But I guess there will be nothing today. I think we are very likely to get results between Monday and Wednesday next week. Don´t need to check during the weekend...

1 hour ago, Pasha said:

We will also get an e-mail as soon as the decisions are updated on the portal right?

I think it changes on the portal first, and then you get the mail. I think some 2 years back there was some major glitch in the system and people got wrong mails. 

Hopefully things will go smooth this time. 

got accepted to Sciences-po last Friday and I'm now waiting for IHEID.

Both are international development but I'm starting to feel that I'll go to neither one. I'm interested in education development but both of them only have 2-3 courses related to education. Kind of a surprise I got into PISA really.

Hope everyone here gets accepted to IHEID, the results are not far away!