The Graduate Institute Geneva(IHEID) 2017-2018

10 minutes ago, dana_318 said:

Where can I see the result for International Econ? I don't see any update for international Econ on the thread. So, IHEID is my only application and I'm very nervous now.. It's hard to stay patient and calm when it comes to grad school entry. 

http://thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=IHEID&t=w&o=&pp=25 on the top. 

18 minutes ago, Sade1122 said:

I have long heard that they fancy American...

Can you provide evidence to yr alternative facts? The student body stats may beg to differ as US applicants do not make the largest group.

10 minutes ago, CakeTea said:

Can you provide evidence to yr alternative facts? The student body stats may beg to differ as US applicants do not make the largest group.

Where can we see the student body stats?

3 minutes ago, Pasha said:

Where can we see the student body stats?

IHEID website

Graduate Institute Student Assembly GISA Annual report

Among rejected students are some formidable US applicants with strong stats

3 minutes ago, CakeTea said:

IHEID website

Graduate Institute Student Assembly GISA Annual report

Among rejected students are some formidable US applicants with strong stats

Yeap. Good to know a quarter of their students are from Asia.

P.S. Around a tenth of their students belong from North America. 

2 minutes ago, Pasha said:

Yeap. Good to know a quarter of their students are from Asia.

P.S. Around a tenth of their students belong from North America. 

You know at this point I think it just makes more sense to not overthink this admissions process and just wait patiently for the results. 

Many of the common perceptions, such as certain countries are preferred, or the importance of grades, have already been addressed in the online videos they posted in November, for their online open day. These were some things I remembered the admission officer mentioning:

1. While no countries are preferred, students from some countries are more familiar/comfortable with the need to highlight what they do in schools, and 'promoting' themselves in the motivation letter. Applicants who are unable to do so in the application letter therefore find themselves at a disadvantage.

2. There is no strict cut-off for grades. (Master's degree typically requires 2:1, but the admission officer encourage everyone to apply, since they do not have a cut-off).

3. For the motivation letter, it is important to highlight why you choose iheid and the particular course.

Hope ^this^ helps :)

18 minutes ago, ediypzy said:

You know at this point I think it just makes more sense to not overthink this admissions process and just wait patiently for the results. 

Agreed. And i stupidly drank coffee in the evening so I can't sleep now. urgh

And I realised we have reached 20 people following this thread. All the hidden ninjas haha :ph34r:

Edited by Autumn Springs

3 minutes ago, Autumn Springs said:

Many of the common perceptions, such as certain countries are preferred, or the importance of grades, have already been addressed in the online videos they posted in November, for their online open day. These were some things I remembered the admission officer mentioning:

1. While no countries are preferred, students from some countries are more familiar/comfortable with the need to highlight what they do in schools, and 'promoting' themselves in the motivation letter. Applicants who are unable to do so in the application letter therefore find themselves at a disadvantage.

2. There is no strict cut-off for grades. (Master's degree typically requires 2:1, but the admission officer encourage everyone to apply, since they do not have a cut-off).

3. For the motivation letter, it is important to highlight why you choose iheid and the particular course.

Hope ^this^ helps :)

Agreed. And i stupidly drank coffee in the evening so I can't sleep now. urgh

By the way... you are Singaporean, yes? 

3 minutes ago, Autumn Springs said:

yes :)

I hope that they accept two Singaporeans >.< I believe they do have some sort of "affirmative action" or regional/diversity quota. Funny how two can seem too much :P

Edited by ediypzy

5 minutes ago, Autumn Springs said:

@ediypzy Which programme did you apply for? Affirmative action can take many forms... Let's see how it goes :huh:

MDev. I will not accept IHEID if I am not offered a scholarship though. If that's the case I will accept Hertie's offer. :)

25 Post: 20 rejected, and 4 admitted in total. 

• Not sure why my application has been rejected or many of those who applied too. It's like I am being punished for being highly intelligent. Not sure what I did wrong. Probably going to accept the RAND offer now.

This guy has GPA:3.94.

What are they looking for?. It is strange

Edited by SantiagoA

All of these ridiculous GPAs are scary, but at the same time, maybe they are serious when they say that GPA doesn't make a big difference so long as it is good enough. The rest is more about how you will fit in at the uni. 

Does anyone know when financial assistance information will be released?

7 minutes ago, cjs1822 said:

All of these ridiculous GPAs are scary, but at the same time, maybe they are serious when they say that GPA doesn't make a big difference so long as it is good enough. The rest is more about how you will fit in at the uni. 

Could be wrong, but I thought it would be sometime after 20 March? 

On 2/21/2017 at 9:42 PM, Akansha said:

Um, okay guys, my application got postponed to be evaluated in this round (I applied for the early bird application) - would you know if that is a bad sign or very normal? It really has freaked me out, and now with the results approaching, I have been doubting my application again and again.

Does anyone know people who have already been admitted to the disciplinary courses?

Not to freak you out but I applied last year and they waitlisted me till March, after which they eventually rejected me. Not that it will definitely happen to you but it's a possibility.

They will email us when the portal is updated. The email just raises the anxiety because it does not reveal the result.

Also, isn't the fin aid info usually released with the final results?

4 minutes ago, su_nayana said:

Not to freak you out but I applied last year and they waitlisted me till March, after which they eventually rejected me. Not that it will definitely happen to you but it's a possibility.

Lol it does freak me out :P But seeing how they reject some really good profiles i am prepped. I have a sucky GPA anyway :(

Did you reapply this year?

Edited by Akansha

45 minutes ago, Akansha said:

Lol it does freak me out :P But seeing how they reject some really good profiles i am prepped. I have a sucky GPA anyway :(

Did you reapply this year?

Nope, I plan to reapply next year.

However, I did not have a GRE score and while they say its not necessary, I don't know if having one actually helps in some way.

What is your GPA? Mine was 3.3. 

4 hours ago, cjs1822 said:

No, the GPA is actually everything.